IMF Chairman Arrested for Sexual Assault by NYPD

Started by Drakken, May 14, 2011, 09:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Drakken on May 18, 2011, 10:29:37 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 18, 2011, 10:24:30 AM
I think you are making in mistake in assuming that the urge to rape stems from not having any outlets.

No, it comes from an urge for dominating women, mixed with sadism and a lack of respect for others' well-being. It's clear that, to DSK, this woman was nothing but a thing to be used and abused.

Yet quite a few men are like that, but they don't rape. They just find women who like it rougher and are submissive. So why DSK, who is thought until now to be an intelligent man capable of self-control, did not have any here? There's something more to it, it's not just a man believing he is above the law.

I tend to think this is not his first rape (and yes I mean rape rape), but we'll never know.

Which is why I don't think it is relevant to discuss what other alternatives he could have availed himself with. They were never legitimate alternatives in his mind (assuming that he is actually a rapist).
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on May 18, 2011, 10:34:24 AM
You are making far too many generalities.  I'm sure that for some, rape / sexual assault is about an urge to dominante women.  But not for others - indeed some do it out of a desire for "love", while others in fact do it merely because the opportunity presents itself.

But in short, any time someone says "people commit this crime because of X" they are inevitably wrong for at least some offenders.

Ditto.  Seems like a lot of people want to ignore the fact that sometimes rape happens out of pure lust.  No idea why the need to over-complicate the motivation.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Seems that most French believe it's some kind of conspiracy.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Grey Fox

Quote from: Razgovory on May 18, 2011, 12:11:38 PM
Seems that most French believe it's some kind of conspiracy.

What's really funny is that DSK said, back in April, that he wouldn't surprise if is adversaries paid 1 millions to have a women accused him of rape in a parking lot.

Dude knew better.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Quote from: Drakken on May 18, 2011, 10:22:45 AM
It's common knowledge that hotels have a list of numbers for customers who feel lonely, but they have to be asked so that they aren't seen encouraging prostitution.
I didn't know that. :hmm: :shifty:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Malthus

Quote from: Caliga on May 18, 2011, 12:41:11 PM
It's common knowledge that hotels have a list of numbers for customers who feel lonely, but they have to be asked so that they aren't seen encouraging prostitution.

It's only common knowledge if you have the secret seduction community manual.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Drakken

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 18, 2011, 12:27:48 PM

What's really funny is that DSK said, back in April, that he wouldn't surprise if is adversaries paid 1 millions to have a women accused him of rape in a parking lot.

Dude knew better.

Sounds like the kind of thing someone smart would say so prepare the terrain when his skeletons will eventually be dugged out.

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on May 18, 2011, 12:43:39 PM

It's only common knowledge if you have the secret seduction community manual.  ;)

I think they had an episode about it on Law & Order: SVU. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2011, 01:30:47 AM
That's disgusting. He stays at a Sofitel.  :yucky:

?

I've only been to the DC one; it was quite nice.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

grumbler

Quote from: Zoupa on May 18, 2011, 12:13:46 AM
Thank you for your contribution old man. You bring so much to every thread.
Just curious:  do you think these tired, cliched personal attacks improve, or damage, your rep here at Languish? 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

alfred russel

Quote from: DGuller on May 18, 2011, 10:18:53 AM
Quote from: Drakken on May 18, 2011, 10:12:38 AM
That's what makes me think the guy is a dumbass. Wanted to fuck? All he needed to do was to send an assistant at the reception to anonymously ask numbers for call-girls who like it rough and "forced". All luxury hotels have these available for customers.
:shutup:

Maybe I'm naive, but I'd be surprised if that was the case. If I was an exec at a chain like Sofitel the last thing I would want are headlines about the police getting prostitute recommendations from reception.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on May 18, 2011, 01:06:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on May 18, 2011, 01:30:47 AM
That's disgusting. He stays at a Sofitel.  :yucky:

?

I've only been to the DC one; it was quite nice.

Seeing as how Marti hangs out with the movers and shakers of the world, I defer to his judgment about what is in and what is out. -_-

garbon

Quote from: garbon on May 18, 2011, 12:59:59 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 18, 2011, 12:43:39 PM

I think they had an episode about it on Law & Order: SVU. ^_^

Oh wait, I think it was actually The Good Wife. One of those two.

katmai

The sofitel in Philly was pretty nice. At least back when stayed at it.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on May 18, 2011, 01:25:59 PM
Seeing as how Marti hangs out with the movers and shakers of the world, I defer to his judgment about what is in and what is out. -_- 
Exactly.  Loser has-beens like the head of the IMF stay at hotels like the Sofitel; Marti and his mover-and-shaker pals stay in much better digs.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!