News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Baseball Season 2011

Started by derspiess, March 30, 2011, 10:52:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: AnchorClanker on July 04, 2011, 09:39:32 PM
This Dodgers business is sad... McCourt was clearly looking for a 'trophy' team when he was first casting about to spend his real estate money... it would be nice if people who genuinely liked a sport were to own the teams.

Now that's just fucking crazy talk Ank.

:P

:cry:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Barrister

This Dodgers business is sad... McCourt was clearly looking for a 'trophy' team when he was first casting about to spend his real estate money... it would be nice if people who genuinely liked a sport were to own the teams.

From what I've been reading its more sinister than that.  It wasn't a trophy for his money - he borrowed all the money to buy the team.  Then he systematically tried to extract as much money from the team (which he didn't pay for) as he could until he had leveraged every possible asset left within the Dodgers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

alfred russel

Quote from: Barrister on July 04, 2011, 10:33:53 PM

From what I've been reading its more sinister than that.  It wasn't a trophy for his money - he borrowed all the money to buy the team.  Then he systematically tried to extract as much money from the team (which he didn't pay for) as he could until he had leveraged every possible asset left within the Dodgers.

God bless America?
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

AnchorClanker

Yeah, that's all true.  He looksd at a few other teams before (and not all baseball teams) - he was a rich guy who wanted a team, and yes - he borrowed most of it and then proceeded to use the team as a personal piggy bank.  Awful stuff.
The final wisdom of life requires not the annulment of incongruity but the achievement of serenity within and above it.  - Reinhold Niebuhr

dps

Quote from: AnchorClanker on July 04, 2011, 10:41:40 PM

Yeah, that's all true.  He looksd at a few other teams before (and not all baseball teams) - he was a rich guy who wanted a team, and yes - he borrowed most of it and then proceeded to use the team as a personal piggy bank.  Awful stuff.

Yeah, the possiblility of things like that is supposed to be the reason that MLB has to approve the sale of any team, but they dropped the ball on this one.

alfred russel

Scratch one off the bucket list: got a foul ball at an MLB game tonight.

It wasn't exactly a hard line drive, but it was a hard hit ball that I tried to barehand and dropped it. I quickly did a survey to confirm no one going for the ball was 4 years old, and amazingly still had time to get the ball. I'd rather have caught the ball in the air, but at this point I probably won't get another chance at a ball so I'll have to take what I can get.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

jimmy olsen

Fan dies after falling at a Rangers game. :(
The railing looks low, they should raise it a little.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=6747510
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Syt

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 10, 2011, 12:55:30 AM
Fan dies after falling at a Rangers game. :(
The railing looks low, they should raise it a little.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/mlb/news/story?id=6747510

Yeah, read about it yesterday. Terrible thing; and I wouldn't want to be Josh Hamilton's right now.

In other news: one fan at Yankee Stadium probably has a new family heirloom courtesy of Derek Jeter.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Syt on July 10, 2011, 01:38:43 AM
Yeah, read about it yesterday. Terrible thing; and I wouldn't want to be Josh Hamilton's right now.

He hit a walk off HR today to beat the A's.  Yesterday though, a foul ball he hit blasted a fan in the head.  No shit.  Fortunately, that guy was okay.  Just needed stitches/staples and to learn to pay attention at the game.

Ed Anger

100 worst baseball players.

http://deadspin.com/5820716/the-100-worst-baseball-players-of-all-time-a-celebration-part-1

Quote35. The Reverend Aloysius Stanislaus Travers, 1912 (Tigers)
In May of 1912, a man named Claude Lueker, who had no hands, heckled Ty Cobb by calling the Georgia Peach—himself a renowned bigot—"half a nigger." Cobb entered the stands and slugged Lueker repeatedly, ignoring the pleas of fans for him to stop beating up a man with no hands. When Cobb was suspended indefinitely for the assault, his Tigers teammates went on strike until Cobb was reinstated. To avoid paying hefty fines and forfeiting the next game, the Tigers had to find replacement players. Aloysius Travers was one of those replacements: a violist and college student, the not-yet priest was assistant manager of the St. Joseph's College baseball team. In his one major league appearance, Travers pitched a complete game, allowing 26 hits and 24 runs (only 14 earned).

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

:lol:  I knew Ty Cobb was a son-of-a-bitch* but beating up a guy with no hands, that is classic.

*No I didn't know him but I have heard from reliable sources.

Ed Anger

Quote69. Kurt Bevacqua, 1971-1985 (Padres/Royals/Rangers/Brewers/Indians/Pirates)
Kurt Bevacqua once called Tommy Lasorda a "fat little Italian." And while his career .236 average speaks well to how bad of a player he was, Lasorda's response spoke better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzjWQF1oP2M (NSFW!)

:lol:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

That list is awesome MB!  :lol:

Quote2. Bob Uecker, 1962-1967 (Braves/Phillies/Cardinals)
In a just world, the Mendoza Line would be the Bob Uecker Line, for the catcher who did manage a clean, round .200 career average, bouncing among four teams in his six seasons. It's surprising Uecker hasn't claimed it, given his skill at leveraging failure into fame—as the voice of the Milwaukee Brewers, a Miller Lite pitchman, drunken announcer Harry Doyle in Major League, and the star of "Mr. Belvedere." He is the Rodney Dangerfield of baseball: "People don't know this but I helped the Cardinals win the pennant. I came down with hepatitis. The trainer injected me with it."

1 Karma Chameleon point