News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2015, 01:00:43 PM
For some reason it always struck me as tactless to name infrastructure after someone when they are still alive.

Yeah, I agree.

I'm not a fan of Stephen Harper, but I think naming the Calgary airport after him is not unreasonable at some point in the future.

As for the petition I linked, I thought it was funnier than the one suggesting naming the municipal dump after him.

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2015, 01:22:03 PM
For some reason it always struck me as tactless to name infrastructure after someone when they are still alive.

Don't you want to fly out of Atwood airport before you die? :(

The only airport likely to be named after me is the one my kid uses for rubber-band airplanes.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Monoriu

You should sell the naming rights to the highest bidder.  Not just airports.  All government buildings, university buildings, hostels, bridges, roads, even government departments ("the Gates fire department of British Columbia") etc.  A good way to generate additional revenue :contract:

The Brain

Quote from: Monoriu on October 30, 2015, 05:55:29 PM
You should sell the naming rights to the highest bidder.  Not just airports.  All government buildings, university buildings, hostels, bridges, roads, even government departments ("the Gates fire department of British Columbia") etc.  A good way to generate additional revenue :contract:

It's the government so it's gonna be the lowest bidder.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2015, 01:26:07 PM

The only airport likely to be named after me is the one my kid uses for rubber-band airplanes.  :D

You could always run for mayor of Toronto. I hear that job is loads of fun.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

viper37

Quote from: Valmy on October 30, 2015, 06:18:05 PM
Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2015, 01:26:07 PM

You could always run for mayor of Toronto. I hear that job is loads of fun.
He's not crazy enough to even be considered.  "I used to smoke pot and nearly slept with my best friend" just won't cut it after a crackhead got his run as mayor and city concillors having sexual affairs in their office.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Josephus

Wouldnt suprise me if they do name an airport after her.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Monoriu

There should be a rule which states that any Atwood who fly out of the Atwood airport should get the ticket free  :alberta:

Josephus

Quote from: Monoriu on November 01, 2015, 12:46:15 AM
There should be a rule which states that any Atwood who fly out of the Atwood airport should get the ticket free  :alberta:

Meh...the only Atwoods I know can afford to fly.  ;)
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

Quote from: Rex Francorum on November 02, 2015, 11:23:14 AM
Viper, I guess you are happy to hear that your candidate, Bernard Généreux, finally won.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/est-quebec/2015/10/31/004-depouillement-judiciaire-genereux-conservateur-normand-liberal-kamouraska-montmagny-islet-riviere-du-loup.shtml
yes, I am :)

That whole thing reeked from the beginning though.  NDP supporter talking of "severe irregularity" with no one corroborating his testimony.  I'm glad the result has confirmed everything was allright (only +3 votes for Généreux, out of +800 rejected ballots), but it shows to what length is the left willing to go to prevent a Conservative from being elected.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grey Fox

Rightfully so, you guys are dangerous.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Jacob

I think people here are pretty robust on defense - some food for thought on Putin and Canada: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/russia-pacific-arctic-brian-stewart-1.3297267?cmp=rss

viper37

You voted for a party that believed we were spending too much on warmongering.  I don't see why that should concern you?

Besides, the party that won the most seats has promised us he would cancel unjustified military spending, like these F-35, since we clearly don't need any recent airplanes to match Soviet Russian aircrafts patrolling our airspace.  Hence, there is no problem according to a majority of Canadians.Russians and others have been violating our sovereignty in the North for years, Chrétien never did anything about it.  Don't expect his newfound protégé to move a finger.  That would be warmongering and it would be pretty bad for Canadians.

As for the ships, we are building some.   The idea is not to remove some from the Atlantic, but to have more in the Pacific.