And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on May 05, 2011, 01:42:57 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 05, 2011, 07:42:20 AM
Yeah, the Cons would be well advised to reduce wait times and red tape for family reunification - cracking down on criminal immigrants will not lose them votes (it isn't as if granny is likely to carry on a crime spree).

Especially older immigrants who will be supported by the family and will not cost the taxpayer anything.  There is no harm in that at all.

Yeah, that whole health care thing is free.  Not to mention all the other social services we give to everyone.  No cost (if that is what you mean by harm) at all.

Malthus

Yeah, the Cons would be well advised to reduce wait times and red tape for family reunification - cracking down on criminal immigrants will not lose them votes (it isn't as if granny is likely to carry on a crime spree).

Especially older immigrants who will be supported by the family and will not cost the taxpayer anything.  There is no harm in that at all.

I think there will be costs - this is Canada, the land of "free" healthcare  :lol: Grannies get sick, the taxpayer pays.

But I'm talking about ability of a particular party to get votes, not whether it makes economic sense. 

Though that being said ... in some cases, the economics of the situation works out well: grannies act as daycare for working parents for no salary, taking costs *out* of the public system ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Oexmelin

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2011, 01:45:17 PM
Yeah, that whole health care thing is free.  Not to mention all the other social services we give to everyone.  No cost (if that is what you mean by harm) at all.

Which is why I think we should put a cost on everything. Elections? It costs money. Prisons? Also, money. Education? Money. That way, there are no longer any social issues, and therefore, no threat of social conservatism. Voilà! Everything can be reconciled through the lense of fiscal responsibility! Everyone wins!

;)
Que le grand cric me croque !

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on May 05, 2011, 01:48:17 PM
I think there will be costs - this is Canada, the land of "free" healthcare  :lol: Grannies get sick, the taxpayer pays.

Oh wait you mean non-citizens get the free healthcare?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Well, to be fair, I'd say that older immigrants can still qualify for various gov't handouts. I think.

[edit: beaten to it.]

Yes, Valmy. I think you have to live here for a certain amount of time to qualify; and then you have to reside in Canada six months of the year to qualify.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Yeah I should have known that.  It just shows how complicated even warm fluffy family reunions can be politically.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

When we moved to Canada in 1979, my parents, myself, and four siblings; my dad, who was in his late 40s had a difficult time finding work. I am not afraid to admit that he was on welfare for several years.  And we got free heatlh care. If it wasn't for that, we wouldn't have coped.  Now of course, we wouldn't be as lucky.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

viper37

exactly who's talking about ending universal healthcare coverage?
Those who are afraid of private clinics, do you fear going to the dentist?  seeing your optometrist?  Are they bad?  Do people of Canada have terrible dental care, same as 3rd world country?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 05, 2011, 01:43:36 PM
By the way Jake, you wanted to know when you talked about your suspicions of a hidden agenda.  You did it early and often in this thread.  Here is the first post you talked about it.

Quote from: Jacob on March 23, 2011, 05:10:00 PM
That makes me quite suspicious of their hidden agenda;

Well, he's got his chance to unveil it now. We'll see. Though at this point, I concur with BB that any hidden agenda he might have will take second seat to an obvious agenda of retaining his majority through sound government with a slight helping of bone throwing on the side.

Jacob

Quote from: Malthus on May 05, 2011, 01:48:17 PMThough that being said ... in some cases, the economics of the situation works out well: grannies act as daycare for working parents for no salary, taking costs *out* of the public system ...

That's certainly our plan :goodboy:

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on May 05, 2011, 03:53:15 PM
Quote from: Malthus on May 05, 2011, 01:48:17 PMThough that being said ... in some cases, the economics of the situation works out well: grannies act as daycare for working parents for no salary, taking costs *out* of the public system ...

That's certainly our plan :goodboy:

You guys, aren't, expecting, are you? :w00t:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2011, 03:56:04 PMYou guys, aren't, expecting, are you? :w00t:

No, not yet. It's one of these "maybe next year" kind of things. But we're definitely planning for it :)

Josephus

Quote from: Jacob on May 05, 2011, 03:59:42 PM
Quote from: Barrister on May 05, 2011, 03:56:04 PMYou guys, aren't, expecting, are you? :w00t:

No, not yet. It's one of these "maybe next year" kind of things. But we're definitely planning for it :)

I'd wait another four years at least.  :menace:

Nah, just kidding. Good luck with that. :D

Neil

But what if your wife is a Tiger Mother?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Go for it sooner rather than later.  You're not getting any younger.

And you may find it isn't as easy as well were all afraid it was back in our teens and twenties. :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.