News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 10, 2015, 10:23:35 AM
I do care a great deal for people who wish to live in Canada and make this country their home.
I share the feeling, we need people.

QuoteWhat I think the Conservatives have missed is that Canadians have a strong connection with their individual cultural roots.
I don't think they missed it. They made a gamble it would pay off to appear stricter on immigration.
I do understand the concern of the Cons, I am unsure their methods are the best ways to achieve a noble objective, unless the objective was simply to drag their feet in the immigration business.

And pandering to extremists like the NPD and the Libs is just silly.  At least the NPD was clear, ISIS is not our problem.  They don't really care about people dying abroad, unless they can spin it in anti-Harper propaganda.  The Libs will do whatever Desmarais will tell them to do, and that's generally not good for Quebec, at the very least.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 10, 2015, 08:09:13 AM
Not surprisingly the cynical vilification of the other by the conservatives has provoked a response from academics who would not consider themselves left wing.  I wonder how many voters are like me and were heavily influenced by this issue.  I hope it is studied after the election.

https://news.vice.com/article/canadian-academics-accuse-harper-campaign-of-vicious-propaganda
I see now that there's a tip line.  Well, I understand the frustration.   I did not hear about that.
While I agree that some cultural practices are barbaric, I don't think it's a language suitable for politics and that tip line is a disaster waiting to happen.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Jake :cry: I have missed you pal.

I hope you visit more often.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on October 10, 2015, 02:45:14 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 10, 2015, 08:09:13 AM
Not surprisingly the cynical vilification of the other by the conservatives has provoked a response from academics who would not consider themselves left wing.  I wonder how many voters are like me and were heavily influenced by this issue.  I hope it is studied after the election.

https://news.vice.com/article/canadian-academics-accuse-harper-campaign-of-vicious-propaganda
I see now that there's a tip line.  Well, I understand the frustration.   I did not hear about that.
While I agree that some cultural practices are barbaric, I don't think it's a language suitable for politics and that tip line is a disaster waiting to happen.

Yeah, that is the thing that has a lot of people I know shaking their heads.

Monoriu

We should be tolerant of each other, and that tolerance should extend to the threatened and minority species known as politicians.  Especially those during election campaigns  ;)

crazy canuck

There has been a large shift in the globe projection.  It now puts the Liberals as having an 51% chance of getting the most seats.  The effect of the Conservatives engaging in cynical politics?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Monoriu

Quote from: Josephus on October 12, 2015, 12:03:20 PM
I voted  :)

So soon?  I thought it was a week away?  So it is possible to vote by mail in Canada?  :unsure:

crazy canuck

It is possible to vote by mail but there are also advance polls which is what Josephus probably did.

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 12, 2015, 09:29:59 PM
It is possible to vote by mail but there are also advance polls which is what Josephus probably did.

Amazing.  Advance polls and vote by mail.  We don't have those in Hong Kong.  The only way is to show up at the polling station on voting day. 

Archy

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on October 12, 2015, 09:45:23 PM

Amazing.  Advance polls and vote by mail.  We don't have those in Hong Kong.  The only way is to show up at the polling station on voting day. 
it's not like it really matters anyway.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 13, 2015, 07:07:51 AM
Another reaction against the Conservative cynism.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/according-to-stephen-harper-there-are-two-types-of-canadians/article26776388/?service=mobile

QuoteAnd that there are two classes of citizens: some whose citizenship can be removed for certain offences, and others who, being real Canadians, might go to jail for their crimes but will always be citizens.
That part is just silly.  People like that are simply pandering to extremists.  These people don't belong here, end of the line.  Other countries do it, we ain't worst.  We don't have to be an haven for religious extremists and terrorists.

Josephus

Yes advance polling. Apparently it's the in-thing, higher turnout for advance polls than previous.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011