And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: viper37 on June 29, 2015, 05:39:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2015, 01:16:50 PM
If the PM actually knew all of those languages, he'd be a fool not to use them when in those countries (BTW, as a historical note, it is Hebrew in Israel, not Yiddish). Reason: the purpose of diplomacy is to persuade, and using the language of the locals is more persuasive.
Diplomacy is not done at a press conference.  by then, they have reached an agreement, or not.  Everything has been discussed behind closed doors.

Press conference are done to inform the public, not to negotiate.

Again, the point is that being more persuasive is - or ought to be -  more important than domestic considerations.
and again, you fail to account for the fact that most world leaders use the language or their country during press conferences.

The "spirit of bilingualism" could perfectly well be "respected" by using the language of one's hosts and audience *first*, so as to engage their attention.
Chrétien used to speak English only when abroad.  Did that ever solve the softwood lumber crisis? :)

They certainly would if he was fluent in Chinese yet chose to speak French instead.
Merkel speaks english. Yet, she more often use German than English during press conferences.  I'm pretty sure a lot of British PM have learn to speak French, yet, I can't remember one using French during a press conference.

I still don't see the problem about using your country's official languages when you are at a press conference.  Using French when speaking directly to the American president and/or the officials you meet, that would be dumb.

I remember he got criticized for speaking French in front of Netanyahu while the guy speaks perfect French.

You may well disagree with all of my points (as you have), but ultimately my point is this: the focus of the criticism in the article you posted was the points I raised.

It wasn't, by any reasonable interpretation, that 'speaking French is bad per se, because Quebec, and francophones outside of Quebec, are or ought to be inferior'.

It was 'this was tone-deaf at a joint press conference with a non-French speaking head of state before a largely non-French speaking audience, when you have a language in common - in this case, English - it makes more sense to use it first'.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on June 29, 2015, 05:39:12 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 29, 2015, 01:16:50 PM
If the PM actually knew all of those languages, he'd be a fool not to use them when in those countries (BTW, as a historical note, it is Hebrew in Israel, not Yiddish). Reason: the purpose of diplomacy is to persuade, and using the language of the locals is more persuasive.
Diplomacy is not done at a press conference.  by then, they have reached an agreement, or not.  Everything has been discussed behind closed doors.

The Press Conference is the thing that takes up a lot of diplomatic time discussing.  What is said at the end press conference is often the main reason for the trip.  There is no need for leaders of a country to meet to carry out the actual work.  All of that is done behind the scenes as you have said.

So if the main purpose of the leaders meeting is to hold the Press Conference it doesn't make sense to say a bunch of things that people of the other nation are not going to understand.  In those circumstances it makes a lot more sense to speak their language if that is possible.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on June 29, 2015, 12:46:49 PM
But Harper dares use *both* official languages while on a visit in the USA and it's a catastrophy for Canada.  For shame!  Foreigners might thing we have two official languages on equal status in the country!
The problem is that Harper had everyone's attention, and then lost it by using the language that nobody can understand first.  If he had gone on to ramble in French later on, it wouldn't be as important, just so long as he got the main points across in the important language.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

viper37

Again, this seems to only be a problem for English Canadians.  Other countries don't seem to have this kind of problem.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

So did Vipes go apoplectic when he saw that video of Merkel speaking English to the Queen? :P
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: Neil on June 30, 2015, 07:53:32 AM
The Americans had a problem.

Much to our national shame. French fluency should be compulsory.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2015, 07:58:55 AM
Quote from: Neil on June 30, 2015, 07:53:32 AM
The Americans had a problem.

Much to our national shame. French fluency should be compulsory.

Yeah best to spend education budgets on making Americans learn a language they don't need to use. :rolleyes:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2015, 08:02:16 AM
Yeah best to spend education budgets on making Americans learn a language they don't need to use. :rolleyes:

Might as well. It has been a total waste trying to get American youth to learn English.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 30, 2015, 08:08:00 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2015, 08:02:16 AM

Might as well. It has been a total waste trying to get American youth to learn English.

:mellow:

Valmy

garbon

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2015, 08:27:38 AM
Looking?

Ok now you are just making me feel self-conscious. It is the hair isn't it?

viper37

Quote from: garbon on June 30, 2015, 07:58:38 AM
So did Vipes go apoplectic when he saw that video of Merkel speaking English to the Queen? :P
random press conference by Merkel
She didn't use Turkish, nor English.  Did that create a fuss?  Did people complain she lost the attention of the Turks by using a language they did not understand? :)
Probably not.

And now, you'll tell me it's not the same thing, so here I go with a joint press conference Obama-Merkel:
http://www.c-span.org/video/?324265-1/president-obama-german-chancellor-angela-merkel-news-conference

Don't tell me Merkel does not speak English, I know it is not true, her spoken english is better than mine.

So, again, not a fuss for other countries.  But a huge mistake for Harper to speak French in the US.

Try telling me again it is not specifically against French?   :rolleyes:
Or maybe y'all trying to tell me that speaking German in an american press conference is better than speaking French because nearly all Americans perfectly understand the german language and as such, Merkel would not lose their attention? :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

More evidence that taxation policy by referendum is a dumb idea.  The vote to increase sales tax in Greater Vancouver to fund transit projects failed to pass.  The infrastructure still needs to be built but now it will be significantly delayed while Municipal and Provincial politicians try to figure out other ways to pay for it.   

QuoteCanada's first-ever attempt to convince the public to agree to a sales tax for transit financing has ended in defeat.

Lower Mainland people who voted No outnumbered Yes voters, with a margin of 62 per cent to 38, in a vote that turned into a referendum on Translink, the region's transit authority, and was overshadowed by anti-tax sentiment.

About 798,000 people sent in ballots through the mail-in plebiscite, giving the vote a turnout of 51 per cent -- higher than the turnout for last November's civic elections. Of those, about 38,000 weren't considered because they did not meet the plebiscite rules for some reason and another 2,500 were rejected.

The vote proved that it doesn't take money to get people to vote against a tax. The No side, largely represented by Jordan Bateman of the Canadian Taxpayers Federation, spent only $40,000 on its campaign.

The Yes side coalition, which include most of the region's mayors, business organizations, labour groups, environmentalists and student associations, spent $5.8-million in cash, which doesn't count the hours spent by staff or organization directors in working on the campaign.