News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on April 30, 2015, 11:28:05 AM
How many hours a week do you lawyers put in.    ;) Do you guys even work?

You'll note days where I hardly post anything - I'm in court.

But if I have a block of days in the office...

Latest opinion polls showing NDP 38%, PCs 24%, Wildrose 21%

Obviously I'm disappointed.  PCs showing signs of life by scaremongering about the NDP, and saying only the PCs can stop them, trying to pull back votes from Wildrose.

Analysis shows that while often 38% suggests majority status, NDPs vote is so heavily concentrated in Edmonton (polling 57%!) that things look more like an NDP minority.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/elections/alberta-votes/alberta-ndp-poised-for-historic-breakthrough-new-poll-suggests-1.3054823
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 30, 2015, 04:11:13 PM

My preference is a darker ale from a local micro brewery. 

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on April 30, 2015, 11:28:05 AM
How many hours a week do you lawyers put in.    ;) Do you guys even work?

You'll note days where I hardly post anything - I'm in court.

But if I have a block of days in the office...

Obviously I'm disappointed.  PCs showing signs of life by scaremongering about the NDP, and saying only the PCs can stop them, trying to pull back votes from Wildrose.

Analysis shows that while often 38% suggests majority status, NDPs vote is so heavily concentrated in Edmonton (polling 57%!) that things look more like an NDP minority.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/elections/alberta-votes/alberta-ndp-poised-for-historic-breakthrough-new-poll-suggests-1.3054823
That is disappointing.  I was hoping that circumstances might create some sort of NDP/Tory alignment.  But if the Tories erase the Wild Rose, then that can't happen.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 30, 2015, 05:55:59 PM

Coors Lite. Got it.

Josephus

Quote from: crazy canuck on April 30, 2015, 05:55:59 PM

:lmfao:
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Just for fun I went through the NDP platform to see what it had to say about crime and the justice system.  Since, you know, I'd be working for them.

There's nothing there!  :o

I don't mean that it's full of empty platitudes.  They literally do not mention crime, the courts, the justice system, or anything else in the entire platform.  It's just that unimportant to them that it doesn't even warrant commenting on.

I realized my entire career has been working under right-of-centre governments, which of course are favourable to law-and-order policies.  I also have a buddy who used to be a Crown in Manitoba, where of course they have NDP governments.  He described that they would get absolutely no support from government.

:(

crazy canuck

Kind of refreshing to hear someone isn't trotting out "law and order" rhetoric during an era when crime rates are dropping.  :P

By the way, to take us on a tangent, have you have noticed how "law and order" politicians are willing to sacrifice the "law" part in order to obtain what they consider is good "order".

saskganesh

Hi Guys. :Canuck:

Just a drive-by, but ... Alberta?? What the hell?? :)
humans were created in their own image

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2015, 02:57:07 PM
Kind of refreshing to hear someone isn't trotting out "law and order" rhetoric during an era when crime rates are dropping.  :P

By the way, to take us on a tangent, have you have noticed how "law and order" politicians are willing to sacrifice the "law" part in order to obtain what they consider is good "order".

Crime rates might be dropping, but the number of files we are processing is increasing dramatically.  Something like up 40% in the last five years.

And a quick googling suggests that Edmonton's crime rate has stayed steady, and not declined, bucking a national average.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1469157/edmontons-crime-rate-remains-unchanged-while-other-major-cities-decline/

crazy canuck

Quote from: saskganesh on May 01, 2015, 04:17:20 PM

OMG  Sask!!!!!!

Sit down and stay a while!!!!!!!!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2015, 04:42:29 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on May 01, 2015, 02:57:07 PM

Crime rates might be dropping, but the number of files we are processing is increasing dramatically.  Something like up 40% in the last five years.

And a quick googling suggests that Edmonton's crime rate has stayed steady, and not declined, bucking a national average.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1469157/edmontons-crime-rate-remains-unchanged-while-other-major-cities-decline/

If the crime rate is, at worst, the same why is there such a dramatic increase in the number of files?  The population has increased that much - or has it?

Neil

There could be a number of things at work.  You could have a rising population.  You could have an increase in criminality.  You could have overactive legislators and/or Machiavellian law-enforcers criminalizing everything.

Given Alberta's past, I have to assume that that undecideds are going to break pretty heavily for the PCs, but a minority government might be alright.  Except of course that it would probably have to tilt to the right to gain the support of the Wild Rose, which would mean devastating public finances.  :(
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Quote from: saskganesh on May 01, 2015, 04:17:20 PM

You have been missed :hug:

Josephus

Quote from: Barrister on May 01, 2015, 01:56:57 PM
Just for fun I went through the NDP platform to see what it had to say about crime and the justice system.  Since, you know, I'd be working for them.

There's nothing there!  :o

I don't mean that it's full of empty platitudes.  They literally do not mention crime, the courts, the justice system, or anything else in the entire platform.  It's just that unimportant to them that it doesn't even warrant commenting on.

I realized my entire career has been working under right-of-centre governments, which of course are favourable to law-and-order policies.  I also have a buddy who used to be a Crown in Manitoba, where of course they have NDP governments.  He described that they would get absolutely no support from government.

:(

Meh....we will always have crime, law and order...I'm glad at least one party thinks there are other things worth having a debate about
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011