News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2015, 01:23:37 PM

It's the Liberal Party of Alberta, which has been out of power in this province since 1921.

Ah, ok.  And they aim to reconquer the province with such sillyness?  They're likely to be out of the game for another century or two.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2015, 02:08:24 PM
Quote from: Barrister on March 26, 2015, 01:23:37 PM

It's the Liberal Party of Alberta, which has been out of power in this province since 1921.

Ah, ok.  And they aim to reconquer the province with such sillyness?  They're likely to be out of the game for another century or two.

Apparently.  Now you understand why Neil and I moan about the state of Alberta's political parties (albeit for different reasons).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2015, 02:07:39 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2015, 01:49:56 PM
Failed? It works very well in both cases.
Not really.  If it did, there would be no deficit in these programs, they would be self-financed.  The Federal simply gave the money to the parents, it costs less and achieve the same results.  That's a cost efficient program.  Nationalizing kindergarden wasn't the brightest move.  Nor subsidizing gays and lesbians so they could have biological children.  AFAIK, homosexuality is not a disease, so the costs of being gay or lesbian should not be covered by the public insurance.

The cost of the programs is irrevelent. The social aims are what is important. More women in the workforce relative to stay at home women & more children overall. Success.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2015, 02:20:29 PM
The cost of the programs is irrevelent. The social aims are what is important. More women in the workforce relative to stay at home women & more children overall. Success.
false on both accounts :)
There are no more women in the workforce than elsewhere in Canada, and we are still in the average birth rate for Canada :)
Do not let yourself influenced by myths propagated by our medias, check the stats for yourself.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

I was a loyal trooper until I just couldn't be anymore.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

Quote from: viper37 on March 26, 2015, 02:25:30 PM
false on both accounts :)
There are no more women in the workforce than elsewhere in Canada, and we are still in the average birth rate for Canada :)
Do not let yourself influenced by myths propagated by our medias, check the stats for yourself.

Why is the ROC important?

There are more women in the workforce in Quebec than there is stay at home women in Quebec.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2015, 02:29:40 PM

There are more women in the workforce in Quebec than there is stay at home women in Quebec.

Because if the rest of Canada also has more women in the workforce then stay at home without the Quebec program then the Quebec program may not be the reason those results are achieved in Quebec.

Grey Fox

We should look that up.

Relative % of women in workforce compare to stay at home for each province.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2015, 02:39:58 PM
We should look that up.

Relative % of women in workforce compare to stay at home for each province.

Well, over all I found a stat from 2009 that 58.3% of all Canadian women were in the work force.  That necessarily means that the minority are either unemployed or stay at home.

http://www.swc-cfc.gc.ca/rc-cr/stat/wic-fac-2012/sec7-eng.html

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 26, 2015, 02:29:40 PM

if you want to evaluate the success of a measure, you need to compare yourself with other units comparable to yours.
So, if:
Province A spends S to get result R and Province B spends S/2 to get result R, wich is the more efficient measure?

Generally, when you look at Quebec since the 60s, the determining factor for birth rate was the disposable income of families.  Wich increased greatly since the 90s.  Yet, birth rate is still below what it was during the late 80s/early 90s under the Liberal Party of Bourassa.  If you look at women in the workforce, the increase has been inferior to Ontario and many other provinces.  Wich don't have our costly social programs.

So basically, we spend money for nothing.

Grey Fox

We spend it for political reasons, those are more important.

Just like when our governments give the FIA 20 millions $/year to hold the grand prix in Montreal.

viper37

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 27, 2015, 06:11:57 AM
We spend it for political reasons, those are more important.
Yes.  Then you can complain about the Liberal mafia :)

Just like when our governments give the FIA 20 millions $/year to hold the grand prix in Montreal.
That's to appease Montrealers.  Politicians need their vote, and the money from Montreal's business people.

Valmy

The cost of the programs is irrevelent.

LOL? I mean even if the program is successful, the results need to be worth the costs.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Grey Fox

That's impossible to measure in this case. No amount is too much when helping families & especially when care of children is concerned.

Barrister

So in the new budget the PCs are still going to run a $5 billion dollar deficit, but are also flat out raising the income tax rate.  :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.