News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Neil on February 24, 2015, 11:17:42 PM

These days, the Tories are the government, and therefore new immigrants are automatically loyal to them.  It's weird how that works.

Why is that weird?  :unsure:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 24, 2015, 07:36:57 PM
Just read in an Economist article about Cameron's efforts to woo the ethnic vote that more non-white Canadian voters vote Conservative now than Liberal.  Whether that's just a reflection of the Liberal party's collapse I don't know.

The collapse of the Liberal party is tied to the ability of the Conservatives to attract non-white voters.  It is a transition that has been occurring since at about the 80s.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on February 24, 2015, 09:45:37 PM
The collapse of the Liberal Party is part of it.  But Harper has made efforts to appeal to immigrant groups.  When he broadened the ability of shopkeepers to use force to protect their property, he did a big press event at an area full of Chinese (or maybe it was Korean) small shops.  It turns out that some elements of conservative thought are rather appealing to immigrants, when not coupled with xenophobia.

Yeah for sure. I think if you peel off xenophobia, the average Chinese immigrant f.ex. is more aligned with the Conservative party than the Liberals.

viper37

See, this is why we need clear rules on what is allowed, when and where:
Quebec judge reportdly denies woman hearing until hijab is removed

Judges can't be trusted with that, they're way too crazy and dictatorial in their court room.  That was pure sillyness.  You can see her face, you can see her eyes, you can see who's testifying, so there was no problem.  But the judge decided otherwise. 

Now, this woman lost a day of work to get in court for nothing, and there's a spot that could have been used to hear a case but is now wasted thanks to no clear guidelines.  Lots of wasted time&money for something that could have easily been fixed beforehand with clear guidelines.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on February 27, 2015, 10:12:55 AM

Judges can't be trusted with that, they're way too crazy and dictatorial in their court room.  That was pure sillyness.  You can see her face, you can see her eyes, you can see who's testifying, so there was no problem.  But the judge decided otherwise. 

Now, this woman lost a day of work to get in court for nothing, and there's a spot that could have been used to hear a case but is now wasted thanks to no clear guidelines.  Lots of wasted time&money for something that could have easily been fixed beforehand with clear guidelines.

Yeah, this judge is clearly not following the existing law.  The SCC ruled on this just a couple years ago in R v NS.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2015, 01:15:14 PM

Yeah, this judge is clearly not following the existing law.  The SCC ruled on this just a couple years ago in R v NS.
According to the head judge (whatever her title), she has all the liberty to take actions concerning decorum and dress code in her court.

Anyway, R vs NS was about the niquab (full face covered) in a sexual assault trial.  It seems the niquab doesn't protect from sexual assault, after all... 

It seems in R vs NS case there would have been a simple solution, one used in other sexual assault trial: have the lawyer interrogate the woman via a camera while she sits in another room, or in an empty courtroom with only the judge and both lawyers.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on February 27, 2015, 02:09:10 PM
Quote from: Barrister on February 27, 2015, 01:15:14 PM

According to the head judge (whatever her title), she has all the liberty to take actions concerning decorum and dress code in her court.

Yes, but judges are also required to act "judicially" within the confines of the law.  And as BB has already stated the SCC has dealt with this issue in a fairly comprehensive manner.  There is a significant amount of discretion in the manner a Justice may address matters such as decorum within their court.  They are after all Justices with inherent jurisdiction under the Constitution.  But they are still bound by the decisions of the SCC.

Jacob

Hey CC, what's your take on the transit tax vote coming up in Vancouver?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on February 27, 2015, 06:48:54 PM
Hey CC, what's your take on the transit tax vote coming up in Vancouver?

I haven't decided.  I don't mind paying to fund transit expansion. I think that is a good thing.  I also don't buy into the anti translink rhetoric.  What concerns me most is I don't think the increase to the sales tax is the best way to raise the funds.  I think it is a regressive form of taxation that will mean the people for whom we are constructing the infrastructure will have even less money to spend to use it.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 02, 2015, 12:02:15 PM
I haven't decided.  I don't mind paying to fund transit expansion. I think that is a good thing.  I also don't buy into the anti translink rhetoric.  What concerns me most is I don't think the increase to the sales tax is the best way to raise the funds.  I think it is a regressive form of taxation that will mean the people for whom we are constructing the infrastructure will have even less money to spend to use it.

Yeah, I concur with all of that.

We're leaning "yes", though, because while a sales tax is not the best way to fund it we don't think a "no" will lead to alternate funding sources.

Admiral Yi

I recently learned that it's illegal for a non-Canadian to buy farm land in the prairie provinces.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2015, 02:08:17 PM
I recently learned that it's illegal for a non-Canadian to buy farm land in the prairie provinces.

Not quite true.  There are restrictions as to the amount of agricultural land that can be purchased by a non resident of that province.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 02, 2015, 02:32:12 PM

Not quite true.  There are restrictions as to the amount of agricultural land that can be purchased by a non resident of that province.

I believe the restrictions are indeed limit non-Canadians, and not non-provincial resident.  As you say though I don't think the restrictions are absolute.

It's been quite a while though since I did any real estate work in rural Alberta though.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on March 02, 2015, 02:41:45 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on March 02, 2015, 02:32:12 PM

I believe the restrictions are indeed limit non-Canadians, and not non-provincial resident.  As you say though I don't think the restrictions are absolute.

It looks like you are correct.

Here is some info I found summarizing the various restrictions.  Yes, I am a bit bored today - something settled.

http://www.gowlings.com/KnowledgeCentre/article.asp?pubID=3229

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on March 02, 2015, 02:47:29 PM
Here is some info I found summarizing the various restrictions.  Yes, I am a bit bored today - something settled.

I got lunch plans today, but otherwise, feel free to ping me :)