And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2014, 07:45:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2014, 06:02:31 PM
The shit is going to hit the fan in Alberta next year, and they are well positioned to capitalize on it.
I have been hearing Wild Rose types say that for that last few years.
Yeah, but this time there's a crash in oil prices that is going to crater provincial revenues and put some people out of work, as well as possibly affecting the housing market.  And the damage is going to be worst in southern Alberta, which is more sympathetic to the Wildrose than the more level-headed central and northern areas.  Still, I doubt that the Wildrose can form a government, since they'll never win Edmonton and they'll have a very difficult time in Calgary.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2014, 07:45:32 PM
Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2014, 06:02:31 PM
The shit is going to hit the fan in Alberta next year, and they are well positioned to capitalize on it.

I have been hearing Wild Rose types say that for that last few years.

And now it's happening.  With the price of oil where it is the government apparently will lose something like seven billion dollars in revenue.  This is in a province whose total debt is $12 billion dollars.We can't just borrow that kind of money and just hope that $100 oil comes back.  The price will come back, but who knows when?

Plus of course the overall effects on the economy.  Oil companies are slashing their drilling plans for next year.  People won't be working.  Less money to spend.  Housing prices seem set to fall (they're already falling in Fort Mac).

It's not as if the province is going to disappear, but it is going to be ugly.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

BB, you are old enough to know about the boom bust cycle of Alberta's economy.  20 years from now we will be having the exact same discussion.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 19, 2014, 03:26:17 PM
BB, you are old enough to know about the boom bust cycle of Alberta's economy.  20 years from now we will be having the exact same discussion.

Of course.

The problem is the government finances assume we'll perpetually be in boom times.  The savings fund is exhausted, and nobody ever paid it back.

You also forget that as a government employee, I am more than a little worried about what continued low oil prices will mean to my job.  I'm not unionized, so they could always fire me tomorrow if they wanted to.

Yes, in 5-10 years we'll be back to boom times, but that doesn't make the current bust any less painful to live through.

crazy canuck

A couple points that might set your mind at ease BB.

When it comes to downsizing it is cheaper to terminate a unionized employee  - they just have to do so in preference to seniority.

The Province will always need prosecutors.  But in the event the Province needs less, because you are non unionized you will not necessarily be the first to go even though you may have the least seniority.

The people I am most concerned about are the folks that picked up stakes recently to move to Alberta take jobs related to the oil patch.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 19, 2014, 04:17:01 PM

When it comes to downsizing it is cheaper to terminate a unionized employee  - they just have to do so in preference to seniority.

The Province will always need prosecutors.  But in the event the Province needs less, because you are non unionized you will not necessarily be the first to go even though you may have the least seniority.

The people I am most concerned about are the folks that picked up stakes recently to move to Alberta take jobs related to the oil patch.

Seniority might be preferable though - I now have 6 years in (they count my prior service).

Trying to think back to the cutbacks of the 80s and 90s, I don't think they so much did mass layoffs.  Instead it was hiring freezes and wage rollbacks.  I don't really want to have a forced 10% wage cut (or whatever).

And of course, the person I'm most concerned about is me.

dps

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2014, 05:16:17 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on December 19, 2014, 04:17:01 PM

Seniority might be preferable though - I now have 6 years in (they count my prior service).

Trying to think back to the cutbacks of the 80s and 90s, I don't think they so much did mass layoffs.  Instead it was hiring freezes and wage rollbacks.  I don't really want to have a forced 10% wage cut (or whatever).

And of course, the person I'm most concerned about is me.

Then look on the bright side.  If poverty really does cause crime, then a lot of people losing their jobs will lead to more crime, so the providence will need more prosecutors, not fewer.

Josephus

Have they ever laid off prosecutors? I could see hiring freezes/ wage increase freezes. But lay offs? Really?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Barrister

Quote from: Josephus on December 20, 2014, 02:27:29 PM
Have they ever laid off prosecutors? I could see hiring freezes/ wage increase freezes. But lay offs? Really?

As part of a 5 or 10 per cent across the board cut in personnel?  Why not?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2014, 02:07:28 AM

Because not everyone thinks like a Reformer - even in Alberta  :P

But joking aside BB, this is a stressful time in Alberta and for you but I think you are over reacting a bit.  a lot of cost savings can be had with bringing public sector wages back in line with what they are in the rest of Canada.  The premiums the Province was paying in certain sectors (I know particular examples are in health care and education) was very generous compared to the rest of the country. 

Alberta had to pay those premiums to attract workers in a booming economy.  Now I suspect wage rates in both the private and public sectors will come back down to earth.  The main job cuts will come in jobs where the work is no longer needed - the oil patch and all those who serviced it in one way or another.  The risk I see for prosecutors is with less workers in the patch there will be less crime - but, sadly, the coming economic crunch will probably provide the prosecutorial service with more than enough off setting cases.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 21, 2014, 10:15:09 AM
Quote from: Barrister on December 21, 2014, 02:07:28 AM

Because not everyone thinks like a Reformer - even in Alberta  :P

But joking aside BB, this is a stressful time in Alberta and for you but I think you are over reacting a bit.  a lot of cost savings can be had with bringing public sector wages back in line with what they are in the rest of Canada.  The premiums the Province was paying in certain sectors (I know particular examples are in health care and education) was very generous compared to the rest of the country. 

Alberta had to pay those premiums to attract workers in a booming economy.  Now I suspect wage rates in both the private and public sectors will come back down to earth.  The main job cuts will come in jobs where the work is no longer needed - the oil patch and all those who serviced it in one way or another.  The risk I see for prosecutors is with less workers in the patch there will be less crime - but, sadly, the coming economic crunch will probably provide the prosecutorial service with more than enough off setting cases.

But since those wages are collectively bargained they aren't easily reduced.  And in particular it's politically impossible for a government to go "you know - we're going to cut nurses salaries by 15%, but not going to touch other areas".

If the government is going to cross public sector unions (which is unclear they will - Redford certainly wouldn't) the most politically saleable message is across the board cuts.

Besides, if I was being honest, Alberta government lawyer's salaries are higher than most other jurisdictions.

Monoriu

The way HK did it was to pass a law on civil service salary cuts.  No need to worry about contracts, judicial reviews, unions etc.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on December 19, 2014, 03:20:46 PM
This is in a province whose total debt is $12 billion dollars.We can't just borrow that kind of money and just hope that $100 oil comes back.  The price will come back, but who knows when?

That's funny. Of course you can. For about 15 years.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

I'm saving $30-$40 a week on my weekly commute.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Seems like quite a number of politically related trials this year: Mike Duffy and Patrick Brazeau of the Senate not to mention Mac Harb; Manon Perrault of the House of Commons; Bruce Carson formerly of the PMO; and of course Michael Sona's appeal (both his and the Crown's) as well as Dean and David Del Mastro. And Pamela Wallin is still being investigated.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mike-duffy-dean-del-mastro-and-other-political-figures-go-to-court-in-2015-1.2874878