News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Viper, I think we are basically in agreement - and with CC as well. I just don't particularly care about the "she brought him a condom" thing one way or the other. The bottom line is that there are allegations of sexual wrongdoing and two men have had their careers ruined, with nothing resembling due process. That's the problem.

I'm not particularly interested in speculating on the relative guilt or innocence of the parties involved based on tidbits of information from the media one way, especially in the absence of said due process.

That, of course, doesn't mean you guys can't if you find it entertaining :)

Josephus

New EU4 events:  :D

Canada
Traditions
Trade Efficiency: +10.0%
Land Attrition: -15.0%
Singing Lumberjacks: Production Efficiency: +10.0%
The Hudson Bay Company: Merchants: +1
Settling the Interior: Colonists: +1
The Maritimes: Yearly Navy Tradition: +1.00
The Quebec Act: Tolerance of Heretics: +2.00
Legacy of the Empire: Trade Steering: +15.0%
The Forests of Canada: Ship Costs: -10.0%
Ambition
Yearly Legitimacy: +1.00

Quebec
Traditions
Infantry Combat Ability: +10.0%
Tolerance of the True Faith: +2.00
Coureurs des Bois: Goods Produced Nationally: +10.0%
The Seigneurial System: National Tax Modifier: +15.0%
Relations with the First Nations People: Diplomatic Relations: +1
Fortifications of Quebec: Fort Defense: +15.0%
The College of Quebec: Technology Cost: -5.0%
Commissions for Noble Sons: Leader(s) without Upkeep: +1
Jesuit Missions: Missionary Strength: +1.0%
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

And just when my faith in newspaper reporting was reviving we get a headline from the Globe that states that the new SCC appointee's conduct as a lawyer is being challenged in two cases.  But when you read the article the headline simply isnt true.

Now I know that the reporter doesnt write the headline.  Someone else is to blame for that.  But the reporter is to blame for reporting what is essentially a non story that comes down to a second year law student making claims about the manner in which a Canadian Judicial Council investigation was conducted.

Josephus, I would think the editor would have been a bit more careful on this one.  What is your take?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/new-supreme-court-judge-challenged-on-conduct-as-a-lawyer-in-two-cases/article21964776/

Josephus

Interesting. I agree that the headline is wrong. (i wonder if the story made the paper---internet stories tend to be rushed, and poorly edited). but the headline writer merely rewrote the lead. The lead is problematic, I agree, because she isn't really facing questions. That said, the story is justified in that it shows that Harper's suspension of parliamentary questioning allows judges who may have some fair criticism to be appointed to the Supreme Court.

If I was the editor, I wouldn't have a problem with the writer giving me this copy (he's a beat writer and expected to provide copy daily), the problem is with the way it is told. It seems, and I haven't been following this, that it's the latest in a series of stories the Globe has been doing on Supreme Court appointees.  I don't see why this one shouldnt be told. A number of people have justiified criticism of Cote, yet are unable to do anything about it because there are no public hearings. That's a story.

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

crazy canuck

But one has to read to the end of a long article to find out the person who has a problem with Cote is a second year law student.  The bit about her client being accused of certain conduct during the litigation is a mere allegation made in court (and by the way is a dime a dozen in these sorts of cases) but one has to read the article carefully to find out that no one is accusing her of any improper conduct in that matter.

I agree the story could be that people wish they had a better chance to ask questions but attacking her integrity in this way is, imo, way off side.

Josephus

I think you have a fair point that it's a poorly written/edited story.

Josephus

crazy canuck

That is a pretty dramatic change in the polls.  I wonder what happened.

Josephus

yeah..which is why I don't get excited, or depressed, about polls one way or the other. Election's a long way off and as recent elections have shown polls don't mean anything until the day of elections.

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 15, 2014, 06:18:18 PM
That is a pretty dramatic change in the polls.  I wonder what happened.

My guess (assuming the polls are accurate):

Given the Conservatives period in 8+ years in government and Canada's general political landscape, those numbers are probably the "natural resting" distribution. So what happened is that Trudeau hasn't done anything recently that feeds into the "callow dilettante" narrative (and that narrative hasn't stuck as permanent) and the numbers have reverted to their currently natural level.

So what's happened: nothing much. Unlike last time, when Trudeau looked like he was flailing about re: the allegations of sexual harassment in parliament.

Barrister

Rumours are swirling that the Official Opposition Wildrose Alliance is going to merge with the governing Progressive Conservatives. :bleeding:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/alberta-politics/Thomson+Shift+political+landscape+possible/10558968/story.html
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I am not sure what the upside for the Cons might be.  Wild Rose is withering on the vine  :P 

The Cons just have to pick up those who flee in time.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 16, 2014, 12:16:10 PM
I am not sure what the upside for the Cons might be.  Wild Rose is withering on the vine  :P 

The Cons just have to pick up those who flee in time.

It's standard Alberta PC operating procedure: embrace opponents and bring them into the fold.

I don't see what's in this for Wildrose.  The shit is going to hit the fan in Alberta next year, and they are well positioned to capitalize on it.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on December 16, 2014, 06:02:31 PM
The shit is going to hit the fan in Alberta next year, and they are well positioned to capitalize on it.

I have been hearing Wild Rose types say that for that last few years.