And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josephus

Quote from: Neil on May 29, 2013, 07:45:41 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 29, 2013, 07:36:27 AM
A country where even the conservative party is turning into the Liberal party.
The Tories have generally governed from the centre.  It's not really that big of a surprise.  And we're lucky that Harper isn't bringing in more right-wing dogma from the Republicans.

I think they have moved, generally, a bit more to the right in recent years, but yeah, the Conservatives are nowhere near the Republicans in that regard.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Neil on May 29, 2013, 08:12:15 AM
Quote from: Grey Fox on May 29, 2013, 08:04:35 AM
Yes but it's not the only thing they have adopted from them either. There's also the secrecy & crookedry of it and this time there's barely any French Canadians in the Cons government, can't blame it on us.
All government has some skullduggery involved.  That's how democracy works.  It's not like there's really been a major scandal for these guys yet.

As for the secrecy, that's a good thing.  When most of the national media is out to bring you down at all costs, you have to play your cards pretty close to your chest.

That's funny, from here the National Media is mostly helping them out.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on May 28, 2013, 06:25:51 PM
Where has it led us?
to hold the same debate we have in the 90s: should we abolish the senate, should we reform it, should we have an elected head of state or should we abolish LGs and GGs?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

I watched some of yesterday's question period.  I think this may be the first time in living memory question period functioned they way it should.  Mulcair did a good job questioning the PM.  He didnt waste time with a lot of grandstanding or lengthy preamble.  He got down to facts.

It was a refreshing change.

Predictably, Trudeau didnt get the memo and he looked even more inexperienced and out of his depth in his attempts at posing questions.

Jacob

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 29, 2013, 01:22:11 PM
What was the subject?

The payment of money from the PM's Chief of Staff to Senator Duffy to pay for the expense payments Duffy was to repay to the Senate.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on May 29, 2013, 09:11:28 AM
Quote from: Neil on May 28, 2013, 06:25:51 PM
Where has it led us?
to hold the same debate we have in the 90s: should we abolish the senate, should we reform it, should we have an elected head of state or should we abolish LGs and GGs?
I don't think that anybody is having this debate.  Even the rest of it isn't really getting all that much play.  It's a tempest in a teapot.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josephus

Toronto Mayor Rob Ford may have acknowledged existence of the alleged cellphone video showing him smoking crack cocaine the day after news of the video broke, the Toronto Star reported Thursday.

Look forward to reading your spins.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

May have? And it happened after the it came out and it's only being reported now like two weeks after? I was in the side of the journalists, but that's just sketchy.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Josephus

Et tu brute?

The Star only learned about this part now.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

Quote from: Josephus on May 30, 2013, 07:14:09 AM
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford may have acknowledged existence of the alleged cellphone video showing him smoking crack cocaine the day after news of the video broke, the Toronto Star reported Thursday.

Look forward to reading your spins.

Meh. Ford's antics in replying to the scandal have convinced me he's guilty of something, and that the video story could well be 100% true.

That doesn't change the fact that the media is publishing all sorts of rumours without checking to see if they are true or not, or even if they are news if they *are* true. Example: Ford's brother sold pot 25-plus years ago - says some folks.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Wait... Doug sold pot 25 years ago and you were a pothead 25 years ago, so theres a chance you knew eachother. OMG Malthus is a Fordite (Fordian?)! It explains his spinning. J'accuese!
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".

Malthus

Quote from: HVC on May 30, 2013, 09:50:42 AM
Wait... Doug sold pot 25 years ago and you were a pothead 25 years ago, so thrres a chabce you knew eachother. OMG Malthus is a Fordite (Fordian?)! It explains his spinning. J'accuese!

I'd never buy pot from a dubious character like that.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

HVC

Hmm. Ok I'll take your word for it.

Also, I'm trademarking Fordian and printing t-shirts.

*edit* Rasta-Fordian!