And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus

Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2013, 02:22:36 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 11, 2013, 02:42:44 PM
Actually, it's more likely that the whole place is conquered by the Americans, and french is ruthlessly stamped out from public life.
You mean like the British and Canadians tried to do since 1763?
Like they did in Acadia and refrained from doing in Quebec, allowing the Quebecois to keep their language and culture and remain a thorn in the flesh for centuries to come.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on April 12, 2013, 02:22:36 PM
Quote from: Neil on April 11, 2013, 02:42:44 PM
Actually, it's more likely that the whole place is conquered by the Americans, and french is ruthlessly stamped out from public life.
You mean like the British and Canadians tried to do since 1763?
:lol:

No, like the Americans did in Louisiana.  Your sense of proportion is weak.  Must be all that PQ-iste nonsense that you people are forced to swallow.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Grey Fox

We won't be conquered, we will join willingly.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

Quote from: Maximus on April 12, 2013, 02:30:57 PM
Like they did in Acadia and refrained from doing in Quebec, allowing the Quebecois to keep their language and culture and remain a thorn in the flesh for centuries to come.
They deported the Acadians.  They wanted to do it here, but it was judged impossible & too costly due to the spread.

I suggest you re-read your history :)  Act of Union, Lord Durham, the movement for Rep by Pop, all that stuff that is usually left out of English Canadian history books :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Neil on April 12, 2013, 03:34:22 PM
No, like the Americans did in Louisiana.  Your sense of proportion is weak.  Must be all that PQ-iste nonsense that you people are forced to swallow.
You mean beating kids who spoke french?  It's been done in other provinces, been done with Indians under Federal management too.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Neil

Quote from: viper37 on April 13, 2013, 11:02:26 AM
Quote from: Neil on April 12, 2013, 03:34:22 PM
You mean beating kids who spoke french?  It's been done in other provinces, been done with Indians under Federal management too.
No, I mean beating everyone who spoke French.

It's hilarious watching you try and pretend that your people didn't need to be treated as inferior to proper, English-speaking folks until they could be civilized.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

crazy canuck

QuoteSun News Network's survival depends on being included in every Canadian television subscription, and its executives warned Tuesday that anything short of that would be the end of its "hard news by day, straight talk by night" news network.

Pretty good argument for not making a subscription to the Sun News Network mandatory.

Neil

Yeah, no kidding.  It's interesting how Canada isn't quite ready for US-style radicalization of the TV news media.

Grey Fox

Every god damn presentation today was either we have a great new idea please fund us or we are awesome please fund us.

Fuck off. Let's this mandatory carriage BS & instead force the BDU to carry every licensed channels.

jimmy olsen

NOBODY cares! Free QUebec! Annex the Rest! :angry:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Josephus

Quick survey, Canadians....do you watch TV news at all, and if so which one? I try to watch Mansbridge every evening.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

6pm SRC News Broadcast while I'm having diner but I never sit down to watch the news. I use the internet for that.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2013, 08:41:37 AM
Quick survey, Canadians....do you watch TV news at all, and if so which one? I try to watch Mansbridge every evening.

I dont watch any TV news.  I watch very little TV at all.  My wife watches Mansbridge every now and then.  I get all my news from online newspapers and radio news.

Neil

Quote from: Josephus on April 24, 2013, 08:41:37 AM
My wife has taken to watching CTV news in the evening.  I am:  Unhappy.

TV news is the worst kind of news.

Malthus

I get my news from Languish.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius