News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

And as far the degree mills and immigration loop holes there were protests here recently by immigrants who found out their mill wasn't as mill-y as they hoped and that they failed courses :lol:
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2024, 05:57:12 PMHey BB, as to not encumber the British thread.

What is Poilievre housing policy?

This is about the best I can give you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxKI9zKhDNE&t=2s

The Conservatives have not announced a detailed plan (but then again the election is a long way off).
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2024, 05:37:37 PMAnd on a totally different note:

Montreal announces plans to have a $870 million dollar new root put on Olympic Stadium in Montreal.  Just a roof mind you.  The building has no major tenant and no prospects of getting one.

They further say they can't just replace Olympic Stadium because it would cost $2 billion to demolish.

You guys are getting so badly scammed! :lol: :console:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-to-spend-870m-on-a-new-roof-for-the-olympic-stadium-1.7104971

And then someone will want to build a new 50k stadium for 10 billion. Better to fix the one we already have. So much sunk costs, already.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2024, 06:00:26 PMAnd then someone will want to build a new 50k stadium for 10 billion. Better to fix the one we already have. So much sunk costs, already.

You know that it's usually referred to as a "sunken-cost fallacy", don't you?

Just because Quebec has already wasted billions of dollars on that white elephant doesn't mean you should keep spending more money.  First rule of holes and all that.

My point was - no fucking way it costs $2 billion to demolish that place - even with a subway stop underneath.

Sheilbh

Built in the 70s and apparently really expensive to demolish - is it riddled with asbestos?
Let's bomb Russia!

Barrister

Quote from: Sheilbh on February 05, 2024, 06:12:40 PMBuilt in the 70s and apparently really expensive to demolish - is it riddled with asbestos?

Or Montreal construction industry is rife with corruption?

Or maybe that's just the government of Quebec?

Savonarola

Quote from: HVC on February 05, 2024, 05:57:39 PMAnd as far the degree mills and immigration loop holes there were protests here recently by immigrants who found out their mill wasn't as mill-y as they hoped and that they failed courses :lol:

:lol:

But even with a degree, don't you need to find a job within a couple years to stay?  I could have that wrong, but that's what I understood from my co-workers.  They said a lot of their cohort would get a certificate rather than a diploma (not really sure of the difference) so they could start searching for a job right away.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2024, 06:04:51 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2024, 06:00:26 PMAnd then someone will want to build a new 50k stadium for 10 billion. Better to fix the one we already have. So much sunk costs, already.

You know that it's usually referred to as a "sunken-cost fallacy", don't you?

Just because Quebec has already wasted billions of dollars on that white elephant doesn't mean you should keep spending more money.  First rule of holes and all that.

My point was - no fucking way it costs $2 billion to demolish that place - even with a subway stop underneath.

I am aware of it. We are prisoners of that fallacy. 2 billion or not doesn't matter to me. My problem is that we will have to rebuild another one. Let's not make that mistake again like we did with the Colisée Pepsi/Centre Videotron.

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2024, 06:17:54 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 05, 2024, 06:12:40 PMBuilt in the 70s and apparently really expensive to demolish - is it riddled with asbestos?

Or Montreal construction industry is rife with corruption?

Or maybe that's just the government of Quebec?

Yes to all 3. The CAQ is a government of accountants, like the Liberals they have friends to give contracts to.

HVC

Quote from: Savonarola on February 05, 2024, 06:28:13 PM
Quote from: HVC on February 05, 2024, 05:57:39 PMAnd as far the degree mills and immigration loop holes there were protests here recently by immigrants who found out their mill wasn't as mill-y as they hoped and that they failed courses :lol:

:lol:

But even with a degree, don't you need to find a job within a couple years to stay?  I could have that wrong, but that's what I understood from my co-workers.  They said a lot of their cohort would get a certificate rather than a diploma (not really sure of the difference) so they could start searching for a job right away.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think someone with a student visa can more easily transfer to a work visa, and a student visa is easier to get to begin with. The one part I do know if that student visa counts towards the days in Canada to get citizenship.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2024, 06:34:00 PMI am aware of it. We are prisoners of that fallacy. 2 billion or not doesn't matter to me. My problem is that we will have to rebuild another one. Let's not make that mistake again like we did with the Colisée Pepsi/Centre Videotron.

Why will you have to build another one?

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on February 05, 2024, 08:08:02 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 05, 2024, 06:34:00 PMI am aware of it. We are prisoners of that fallacy. 2 billion or not doesn't matter to me. My problem is that we will have to rebuild another one. Let's not make that mistake again like we did with the Colisée Pepsi/Centre Videotron.

Why will you have to build another one?

It's what we do!

We'll compare ourselves to Toronto and lament the fact that no big tour comes to Montreal/Quebec anymore. That it was better when Monsters Truck and Motocross had somewhere to go.

crazy canuck

@Shielbh, the Austen romance analogy is bang on.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2024, 05:35:34 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on February 05, 2024, 05:15:57 PM
Quote from: viper37 on February 05, 2024, 05:12:42 PMAlso, there's always a question of culture.  A huge part of England went from Celtic to Anglo-Saxon due to immigration pressure.  Good or bad, it depends on which point of view.  There were certainly tensions in some part of the island, given the number and types of castles built at the time, the battles wage in the west, and the Welsh clinging a little longer to their Celtic roots than the rest of England.
This is often brought up by people who are pro-immigration here "we're an island of immigrants: Anglo-Saxons, Vikings, Romans, Normans" and, as someone who is pro-immigration, I never feel that quite sends the message they're wanting to send :lol: :ph34r:

FWIW I think there's lots of debate over what happened but my read - purely based on how few Briton words or even placenames survived - is that it was absolutely brutal.

So of course key is that Viper is from Quebec in talking about culture.

Nobody (well almost nobody) in English Canada would say we need to reduce the number of immigrants in order to protect our culture, and I certainly didn't make that argument.
Nobody talks about it now.
If the Libs go ahead with the Century Initiative, things will change.  It's impossible to have that many foreigners in such a short time and integrate them to Canadian culture.  Canadian culture will change to adapt the newly arrived.  We won't be there to see the end result, that's all.  Quebec will be first one to go, that's all.  That's always been the goal of the Libs, but it'll backfire bigtime.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Barrister on February 05, 2024, 05:37:37 PMAnd on a totally different note:

Montreal announces plans to have a $870 million dollar new root put on Olympic Stadium in Montreal.  Just a roof mind you.  The building has no major tenant and no prospects of getting one.

They further say they can't just replace Olympic Stadium because it would cost $2 billion to demolish.

You guys are getting so badly scammed! :lol: :console:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-to-spend-870m-on-a-new-roof-for-the-olympic-stadium-1.7104971

400$ million, of which, only 200M$ came from the Quebec government to build a multi-functional arena for Quebec city was seen as way too much.  The Colisée Pepsi was finished in 1949.

But 870M$ just for the roof of the Stadium in Montreal?  Sign me up baby!! :showoff: :contract: :yeah:
And this is just the first step.  They need to redo everything.  They need to replace the seats to make them comfortable. They need to repair the structure (again) so it doesn't fall on you.  They need to do something about the acoustic, because as a provincial Conservative said on tv, no self-respecting musician would want to play there.

Then, there's still a lightning problem inside, and a bad vision to the field.  You need to replace/remake the platforms.

But, you got a nice view from the tower, and it looks nice on postal cards.  Like the mayor said, there's talk of making an hotel in the mast (sure, I've been hearing of this ever since the Expos were rumoring to leave... Note to Sheilbh: they've left the city in 2004).

Fucking bullshit.  Anything not to lose a fucking vote in the area.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.