And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2019, 10:06:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2019, 09:48:46 AM
All those lakes should be renamed after famous Hockey players.

You would run out of names after naming the lakes near Malthus' cabin.

Ok everybody from Canada who ever played in the NHL gets a lake.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2019, 12:18:06 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2019, 10:06:43 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2019, 09:48:46 AM
All those lakes should be renamed after famous Hockey players.

You would run out of names after naming the lakes near Malthus' cabin.

Ok everybody from Canada who ever played in the NHL gets a lake.

ok, that covers the cabins across the way from Malthus' cabin

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2019, 12:09:08 PM
Why should I be expected to remember every damn Maple Leaf alumni? :mad:

Even I remember Gilmour, you have lost all cred  :P

Valmy

Ok big lakes for NHL players, smaller ones for junior league players
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on July 02, 2019, 12:22:25 PM
Ok big lakes for NHL players, smaller ones for junior league players

That will leave a lot of lakes for all the basketball players - I endorse your idea.

Grey Fox

Lots of lakes have first nations names. Those names could be anything.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 02, 2019, 02:58:18 PM
Liberals being, well, Liberals :)
Dominic Leblanc's family and donors appointed to 5 out of 6 judicial vacancies in NB

The thing to keep in mind is NB has the population of a town in other provinces.  There are always going to be a lot of connections, especially when you get into the small number of lawyers who would be appropriate for appointment.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2019, 04:14:53 PM
Dominic Leblanc's family and donors appointed to 5 out of 6 judicial vacancies in NB

The thing to keep in mind is NB has the population of a town in other provinces.  There are always going to be a lot of connections, especially when you get into the small number of lawyers who would be appropriate for appointment.

I'm not going to come down too hard on the Libs because the Conservatives do it too - but do you honestly expect us to think that this news story is just a big co-incidence?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2019, 04:24:58 PM

I'm not going to come down too hard on the Libs because the Conservatives do it too - but do you honestly expect us to think that this news story is just a big co-incidence?

I expect you to believe that this is what happens in all the maritime provinces (and to a lesser extent Saskatchewan and Manitiba).  The population base is so small if you were to pick people with no affiliation whatsoever the list would be diminishingly small.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2019, 04:44:06 PM
I expect you to believe that this is what happens in all the maritime provinces (and to a lesser extent Saskatchewan and Manitiba).  The population base is so small if you were to pick people with no affiliation whatsoever the list would be diminishingly small.

Provincial court appointment (so not Federal), but same dynamic...

There was a Crown friend of mine.  He's also from Manitoba, though maybe 10 years older than I.  We both started in the same Crown office within a month or two of each other.  I've kept in touch with him over the years.  About two years ago he asked me about transferring to Edmonton.  No idea how much it helped, but I put in a good word for him with my Chief (and she seemed appreciative of the recommendation), and he got the job.  Then two months later he's appointed to the bench.

I meet up with him, and he tells me he had applied several years ago.  He had been cleared by the panel and his name was on a list somewhere... then years of silence.

Now I am super-duper happy for him, but his appointment was a bit of a surprise.  He was not a high-ranking Crown, had not done any real high-profile cases... he was just a line Crown.

But then I remembered - back when we started, he would do volunteer work for the provincial NDP.  Our boss even gave him crap when he stored some NDP signs in his office once.  And I understand he has done that for years.

He was appointed because an NDP government was looking to make NDP-friendly appointments.  Now I don't fault him one bit - you don't volunteer for the NDP in rural Alberta because you ever expected payback!

On the Federal level, I know several QB justices who were co-incidentally former Liberal candidates in no-win ridings.

Not every appointment is political, and it's not that the political appointments are obviously unqualified, but it is a big factor.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

crazy canuck

I agree that in a Province like Alberta it is more egregious and that is because there is a larger population.

viper37

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 02, 2019, 04:44:06 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 02, 2019, 04:24:58 PM

Both Liberal partys do the same thing in Quebec.  And it's not like the entire population of the province can fit in Toronto.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

crazy canuck

Quote from: viper37 on July 02, 2019, 05:20:06 PM
Both Liberal partys do the same thing in Quebec.  And it's not like the entire population of the province can fit in Toronto.

Special pleading...  :D

Camerus

No comments on the Meng Wanzhou situation?

Trudeau says he's confident that Trump represented our concerns to the Chinese.  :lol:

It's a difficult situation for him, but basically having to say he has faith that Papa Trump will help us is pretty pathetic.