Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 29, 2011, 06:42:05 AM
Quote from: Neil on September 28, 2011, 07:44:58 PM
Quote from: viper37 on September 28, 2011, 06:48:40 PM
The party called me yesterday night.  I was proud to tell them I wouldn't contribute anymore to a political party dragging us back through time, in the age of Kings and Queens. :)
I'm double-donating to cancel you out.  lulz.

I don't think the Alberta arm  needed it while the Quebec arm probably does.

Good thing it's a national party without provincial wings then. :shifty:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Drakken

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Barrister

Quote from: viper37 on September 29, 2011, 10:27:16 AM
Quote from: Drakken on September 29, 2011, 10:12:15 AM
Are they on the gun registry? :contract:
I have the right to remain silent.

Actually you don't.  You have a right against self-incrimination, which is somewhat different. :contract:

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 10:31:48 AM

Actually you don't.  You have a right against self-incrimination, which is somewhat different. :contract:

No police officer can force me to answer if I don't want to cooperate, and that silence cannot be used against me as proof of my culpability. However, they can badger me with questions for hours until I crack and answer.

And Viper's answer would come under self-incrimination, as answering the question negatively would make him admit an illegal act : possession of an unregistered firearm.

Barrister

Quote from: Drakken on September 29, 2011, 10:35:36 AM

No police officer can force me to answer if I don't want to cooperate, and that silence cannot be used against me as proof of my culpability. However, they can badger me with questions for hours until I crack and answer.

And Viper's answer would come under self-incrimination, as answering the question negatively would make him admit an illegal act : possession of an unregistered firearm.

But I can have you served with a subpoena, and I can compel you to answer my questions on threat of being jailed for contempt of court. :menace:

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 10:43:21 AM
Quote from: Drakken on September 29, 2011, 10:35:36 AM

But I can have you served with a subpoena, and I can compel you to answer my questions on threat of being jailed for contempt of court. :menace:

And then blissfully answer that "I don't remember" or "my memory's faulty".  :menace:

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 10:43:21 AMBut I can have you served with a subpoena, and I can compel you to answer my questions on threat of being jailed for contempt of court. :menace:

Seems a bit harsh for a languish conversation.

crazy canuck

In other news the Insite decision is going to be released by the SCC tomorrow morning.  It will be a very interesting read and one way or the other will have a profound impact on how we deal with drug use.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 29, 2011, 11:01:57 AM
Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 10:43:21 AMBut I can have you served with a subpoena, and I can compel you to answer my questions on threat of being jailed for contempt of court. :menace:

Seems a bit harsh for a languish conversation.

I disagree. :menace:

And Drakken - you can be jailed for contempt of court if the judge finds that your lack of memory is feigned.

Drakken

Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 11:29:52 AM

And Drakken - you can be jailed for contempt of court if the judge finds that your lack of memory is feigned.

I know, but it still needs to be substantiated. And it was infamously used in the late Gomery Commission by Jean Lafleur, under subpoena, who consistently used this line (je ne me me souviens pas in French) without being found in contempt of court.

Barrister

Quote from: Drakken on September 29, 2011, 12:14:55 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 29, 2011, 11:29:52 AM

I know, but it still needs to be substantiated. And it was infamously used in the late Gomery Commission by Jean Lafleur, under subpoena, who consistently used this line (je ne me me souviens pas in French) without being found in contempt of court.

Oh I know.

But that doesn't refute the fact that Viper was wrong when he said he had a right to silence.  :showoff:

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 29, 2011, 11:05:07 AM
In other news the Insite decision is going to be released by the SCC tomorrow morning.  It will be a very interesting read and one way or the other will have a profound impact on how we deal with drug use.

... and I can report on how it changes the street scape, if anyone is interested. Insite is a little over two blocks down the street from where I work.

crazy canuck

The Supreme Court says Insite falls under Provincial jurisdiction.  It will stay open.  Havent read the decision yet.  More tidbits to come when I do.

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on September 30, 2011, 09:38:59 AM
The Supreme Court says Insite falls under Provincial jurisdiction.  It will stay open.  Havent read the decision yet.  More tidbits to come when I do.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: