News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

[Canada] Canadian Politics Redux

Started by Josephus, March 22, 2011, 09:27:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Yeah, it's kind of fascinating.

Given what I understand of the personalities and histories of the parties in question, it seems a BC Liberals + Green combination is most likely whether it's a formal coalition or support from outside the gov't.

After the election I did see Weaver - the Green leader - say that he was open to either party but that removing corporate and union money from BC politics was his primary precondition. It'll be interesting to see if that plays out.

Jacob

Some data on globalist and nationalist sentiment in Canada: http://abacusdata.ca/globalism-and-nationalism-in-canada/

Interesting reading, and I think the terms of analysis are pretty relevant to national politics in a number of countries, even if the distribution is different from Canada.

dps

Quote from: Jacob on May 10, 2017, 12:29:17 PM
Some data on globalist and nationalist sentiment in Canada: http://abacusdata.ca/globalism-and-nationalism-in-canada/

Interesting reading, and I think the terms of analysis are pretty relevant to national politics in a number of countries, even if the distribution is different from Canada.

Interesting, but I don't see "nationalist" as the opposite of "globalist", nor do I see a connection between nationalism and racism.  But maybe that's because I basically think of globalism in terms of economics, while I think of nationalism in political terms.  Or to put it another way, I consider myself both a nationalist and a globalist, because I do think that our government policies should put our own country's interests first and foremost, but I also strongly favor free trade and the like because I think those policies are in our best interest (that they help others, too, is more-or-less irrelevant).

Valmy

One thing globalists and nationalists agree on: Canada should not be more like the United States  :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Josephus

Two weeks for election results? Really? :huh:
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Valmy

Quote from: Josephus on May 10, 2017, 06:25:53 PM

When it is this close it makes sense. Every absentee ballot may decide the winner.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Jacob

Yeah, we count everything by hand - verified throughout by multiple observers.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Jacob on May 10, 2017, 07:47:40 PM

Yeah, we count everything by hand - verified throughout by multiple observers.

Its not actually the method of counting.  The counting will not start for two weeks and once started will be completed quickly.  The problem is gathering all the absentee ballots so that all of them are counted at the same time and that they are applied to the correct riding.  An absentee ballot is cast whenever someone votes outside their own riding and so it is a bit of an undertaking to match them to their correct riding and gather them all up.

Josephus, normally the election result is known within an hour of the polls closing.  But this election was so close that the absentee ballots matter this time.  In the Comox riding the current difference is only 9 votes and if the Liberals make up those votes they will technically have a majority.  I say technically because after they appoint the speaker they will still be vulnerable.

Monoriu

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 10, 2017, 07:40:31 AM

But if the current seat totals hold, the Greens, with an historic win of three seats, have the balance of power.  It will be very interesting to see what will happen next.

Greens forming part of the government.  What has the world come to :weep:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Monoriu on May 10, 2017, 09:54:08 PM

But if the current seat totals hold, the Greens, with an historic win of three seats, have the balance of power.  It will be very interesting to see what will happen next.

It will be very interesting to see how they play it.  They could use this opportunity to implement a lot of policies or we could be going to the polls again in under a year.

viper37

It's the Conservatives fault. They all migrated to Alberta after 1933...
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Oexmelin

Hopefully reacting to what people like you want to make it into.  :)
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josephus

Globe editorial

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//opinion/editorials/globe-editorial-the-end-of-the-bc-election-signals-the-start-of-politics-as-unusual/article34951859/?cmpid=rss1&click=sf_globe
Civis Romanus Sum

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Jacob

Quote from: Josephus on May 11, 2017, 10:50:40 AM
Globe editorial

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//opinion/editorials/globe-editorial-the-end-of-the-bc-election-signals-the-start-of-politics-as-unusual/article34951859/?cmpid=rss1&click=sf_globe

Yeah that about sums it up.

Valmy

I like how all three parties declared themselves the winners...and they might all be right.

If the stakes were not so low I would find it fascinating.