News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

London Olympics 2012

Started by Brazen, March 15, 2011, 05:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

So I applied for tickets today, mainly athletics, cycling, gymnastics and shooting, plus the opening and closing ceremonies.

Total value of the tickets I applied for: £446
Amount I actually hope to get through the ballot: £80
Amount I expect to get: £0

Duque de Bragança

Good thing London got them   :P

Gups

I'm struggling with the game theory on this. Ieall I'd like to go to 3 or 4 events - at least one in the Stadium and one in the Acquatics centre.

But od you order a shed load of tickets in the hope that some of them come through but with the risk that you'll have to off load a bunch. Of just apply for a few and risk getting nothing.

I'm not keen on this system though I understand the administrative attractiveness of it.

Caliga

:huh:

My great aunt and uncle went to a bunch of events when the Olympics were in Atlanta, and I don't recall them having to enter a raffle to get the tickets. :hmm:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2011, 07:27:27 AM
My great aunt and uncle went to a bunch of events when the Olympics were in Atlanta, and I don't recall them having to enter a raffle to get the tickets. :hmm:
First come, first served doesn't work fairly in the internet era as anyone who has tried to buy a ticket for a popular gig sold out in 30 seconds will attest.

This ballot system with a "promise to pay" (they take your card details) is the same they use for entry to sporting events like the London Marathon and the half marathon I've entered this year.

Valmy

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2011, 07:27:27 AM
:huh:

That is only because people refused to go to the cesspool that is Atlanta even to watch the Olympics.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Gups

The Atlantan Olympics were the worst I can remember. Although Athens ran it close.

Brazen

Quote from: Gups on March 15, 2011, 08:16:55 AM
The Atlantan Olympics were the worst I can remember.
Yeah, it really bombed.

Too soon?

Josephus

I know they did raffles for the major events in the Winter Olympics in Vancouver last year---you remember the one without the snow?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Grey Fox

Quote from: Josephus on March 15, 2011, 08:30:47 AM
I know they did raffles for the major events in the Winter Olympics in Vancouver last year---you remember the one without the snow?

Don't be so koi(coi?) Sochii is going to have even less snow.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.