And we're back!

Main Menu

London Olympics 2012

Started by Brazen, March 15, 2011, 05:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Brazen on March 15, 2011, 08:23:50 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 15, 2011, 08:16:55 AM
The Atlantan Olympics were the worst I can remember.
Yeah, it really bombed.

Too soon?

Nope.  In fact most people have totally forgot about that.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2011, 08:38:36 AM

Not my wife, who mentioned it in a similar manner after I told her I passed through Olympic Park on Sunday. :P

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on March 15, 2011, 08:38:36 AM
Quote from: Brazen on March 15, 2011, 08:23:50 AM
Quote from: Gups on March 15, 2011, 08:16:55 AM
The Atlantan Olympics were the worst I can remember.
Yeah, it really bombed.

Too soon?

:yes:

I'll have to admit that it took a few seconds to dredge it up from my memory banks.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Brazen

There's a mildly evil collaboration with Visa - you can only pay for Olympic tickets with a Visa card!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jamespearce/2011/03/be_wary_of_potential_2012_tick.html

Caliga

That was the bombing where they blamed a fat security guard dude but it really turned out to be a crazy Christian fundamentalist mountain man.  Good times. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Warspite

Quote from: Brazen on March 15, 2011, 09:28:32 AM
There's a mildly evil collaboration with Visa - you can only pay for Olympic tickets with a Visa card!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/jamespearce/2011/03/be_wary_of_potential_2012_tick.html

Yes, this has really screwed me over. The only Visa I have is my debit card (which I believe is the case for most Visa card holders), and so I either have to keep my ticket application maximum to something I could afford out of my current account, or I shift my ISA savings into my current account for the whole of May/June. I don't want to do the latter so I've applied for only a few events.

The system in place is a terrible execution of a good idea; if you look at the specifics, the money is taken from your account before they tell you what you have actually received tickets for - and the resale website does not start until six months later. The system for buying Wimbledon tickets deals with high demand in a much better way.

In any case, I applied for men's handball semi-finals, men's waterpolo semi-finals, football quarter-finals, men's fours rowing final, and women's high-jump medal athletics day.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Grey Fox

Can I haz : Tae Kwon Do tickets?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Warspite

By the way, any other Londoners think that it is a bit strange that most of the Olympic football matches - for the London games - will actually be at Old Trafford, St James's Park and Hampden Park?

One would have thought that in addition to Wembley, they could have had hosted at Stamford Bridge, Whitehart Lane and the Emirates - all top stadia, and actually in London.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Brazen

Quote from: Warspite on March 15, 2011, 10:49:24 AM
Yes, this has really screwed me over. The only Visa I have is my debit card (which I believe is the case for most Visa card holders), and so I either have to keep my ticket application maximum to something I could afford out of my current account, or I shift my ISA savings into my current account for the whole of May/June. I don't want to do the latter so I've applied for only a few events.

The system in place is a terrible execution of a good idea; if you look at the specifics, the money is taken from your account before they tell you what you have actually received tickets for - and the resale website does not start until six months later. The system for buying Wimbledon tickets deals with high demand in a much better way.

In any case, I applied for men's handball semi-finals, men's waterpolo semi-finals, football quarter-finals, men's fours rowing final, and women's high-jump medal athletics day.
I'm in exactly the same situation with my debit card. I had to put a note in my calendar saying "Make sure you have money in your account!!!"

I've applied for athletics, cycling, gymnastics, shooting and, over-optimistically, the opening and closing ceremonies. I don't really expect to get anything, except perhaps the shooting, which is great value for money as you get a full day.

As I've been shooting with Team GB through my job, I wonder if they'll let me have a go again? I got both traps last time!

Richard Hakluyt

My plan is to avoid London during the games and watch them on TV  :)

Ed Anger

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 15, 2011, 11:34:45 AM

:)

I dreaded the thought of Cincinnati winning when they was doing a bid. All the people swarming the tri-state.  :yuk:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

Quote from: Ed Anger on March 15, 2011, 11:42:40 AM
I dreaded the thought of Cincinnati winning when they was doing a bid.
Cincinnati tried to win an Olympic bid?  :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on March 15, 2011, 11:46:34 AM
Quote from: Ed Anger on March 15, 2011, 11:42:40 AM
I dreaded the thought of Cincinnati winning when they was doing a bid.
Cincinnati tried to win an Olympic bid?  :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao: :lmfao:

yep. There was going to be events all over the place. Dayton, Columbus, No. Kentucky, etc. The mere thought of the load on a near non-existent public transport system and no regional transport made me giggle uncontrollably.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

They couldn't have seriously thought they were going to win that.

Brazen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on March 15, 2011, 11:34:45 AM
I was going to say I could get to somewhere far more pleasant in the three hours it will take me to get to Stratford, but TFL tells me it's less than an hour door to door :)