News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamas

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2013, 08:27:42 AM
Pisses me off, because I don't like LED.  Any other fucking time, I'd drop $3,000 on a new plasma, but right now I may go the LCD route.  Ugh.  Slumming.

Ok so Pana plasmas were decent.

But Panasonic, EVEN PANASONIC is stopping making plasmas.

Plasmas are done. They are yesterday's technology, they have been far overshadowed by LCDs.

Ideologue

Evil Dead (2013).  A heroin addict is taken out to a decrepit cabin in the woods by her brother, his girlfriend, a nurse, and a surprisingly useful liberal artist for a dose of good old fashioned false imprisonment.  In relatively short order, though not short enough because the characters other than Mia (the heroin addict) and arguably LibArts are pretty flat, Evil Dead happens: a book is found, is foolishly read aloud, and at least one demonic spirit is invoked to take possession of the living until it turns them dead.  Mortification of the flesh ensues, and it's pretty fucking great.  Taken purely as a gran guignol it is probably better than the original Evil Dead, and is worth the price of admission to say the least.

It's unfortunate that I did not get a chance to rewatch the first Evil Dead before going to see the remake, so I can only compare and contrast my memories, which are not doubt corrupted by one of the sexiest movies ever made, the far better and wholly-different-in-tone Evil Dead 2.  Evil Dead 2013 hardly possesses the full measure of charm of that latter film, but at this point I find it difficult to recall if Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell brought that same amazing energy the first time around.  It is played very straight, and at times is unfortunately played almost sullen.

Which isn't to say, categorically, that director Fede Alvarez and Jane Levy as Mia don't put their hearts into this movie.  Jane Levy is excellent as, I think, the protagonist.  I sound uncertain because the movie doesn't seem certain either.  Mia is clearly the focus of the early character-building scenes; but she is also the first to be possessed; hence for a while she's the villain, and does a great job portraying, with a shivering intensity, a Deadite.  I can't quite decide whether this is a problem or not: on one hand, the course of events that ensues takes her out of what is apparently her own story; on the other, some of the more bravura scenes of hard-R violence are in this part.  Ultimately, I think it looks wonderful but feels a bit wrong.  The Evil Dead series (even Army of Darkness; maybe especially Army of Darkness) has traditionally had only one actual character--an attempt to have more than one, especially when it is, let's face it, a failed attempt, was a misstep on this film's part.

Never fear, it gets better, and except for one brief part where the lights go out and one realizes how shitty Evil Dead movies look in blue filter, leans to greatness toward the end.  The fun in Evil Dead (2013) is all the work of the Fede Alvarez' direction, Jane Levy, the amazing special effects team, and perhaps our own willingness to have our nostalgia buttons pushed... but it's still a lot of fun.

B+

P.S.: Did you know that a history degree grants its bearer a form of hilarious near-invulnerability?  I guess our secret's out. :(
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Saw the last part of Swingers last night, including the crucial Big Daddy Voodoo and all groweds up scenes.  Then segued to the beginning of Shaving Ryan's Privates.  Rangers getting mowed down when the ramp drops is still a brilliant scene after seeing it 10 times.  A good night of viewing.

Admiral Yi

Also hadn't noticed the nice tits on the granddaughter in the war graves scene before.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 06, 2013, 02:46:36 PM
Also hadn't noticed the nice tits on the granddaughter in the war graves scene before.

How the fuck could you not notice them?  They were perkier than the 155mms on Pointe-du-Hoc, man.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on April 06, 2013, 12:11:57 PM
I want to buy a 32 for the upstairs living room. Fucking girlfriend not letting me do it.

Not letting you. I am silently judging you.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 06, 2013, 04:12:56 PM
How the fuck could you not notice them?  They were perkier than the 155mms on Pointe-du-Hoc, man.

The focus was on the grandfather in the foreground.

And I believe those casements turned out to be empty.:contract:

CountDeMoney

Anyway, just tripped over a Law & Order: Criminal Intent episode that has the same little blonde chickadee from The Walking Dead.  What a little jail bait cutie pie.

No Goren this episode  :(, but the redhead with the shorty hair cut :yeah:.

Ed Anger

I was tired of pvt Pyle after one season of CI.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2013, 05:13:58 PM
I was tired of pvt Pyle after one season of CI.

That's because he's smarter than you are.

Ed Anger

Please. I've studied Dragnet episodes.

*nods*

Grey Fox

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2013, 04:35:25 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on April 06, 2013, 12:11:57 PM
I want to buy a 32 for the upstairs living room. Fucking girlfriend not letting me do it.

Not letting you. I am silently judging you.

I know  :(
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Ed Anger

History ordered a second season of Vikings. More threesomes incoming.

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 06, 2013, 07:20:41 PM
History ordered a second season of Vikings. More threesomes incoming.

sweet, I just gave up on it and will not be watching the rest of this or the next season.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Viking

I just discovered the Avatar: The Last Airbender - the TV show, not the Shamalan Movie. I have to say it is excellent and so is Legend of Korra it's sequel.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.