News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Seedy, you dad might like the Luther Brit cop show. If he can tolerate Limey accents.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 01, 2013, 07:45:15 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2013, 06:01:50 PM
Saved by the Bell.

Which one, smart ass? The original, or the College Years?

The original original had Haylie Mills teaching and didn't have Slater, Kelly and Jessie.  :hide:

Luther's a good show but it's over pretty quick.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

:rolleyes:  Which do you think?

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on April 01, 2013, 02:19:59 PM
So she's missed the obvious answer that you are just a weirdo.

You'd think that would be her first guess after all these years.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 01, 2013, 08:13:47 PM

:rolleyes:  Which do you think?

I was pissed when they canceled College Years. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on April 01, 2013, 01:58:51 PM
I do get some enjoyment out of the show.  My wife desperately tried to get me to watch it during the first season or two and then gave up.  So to tease her a bit I'd read up on episode synopses and would start conversations about what happened in recent episodes.  That has convinced her that either everyone I work with is talking about the show (they're not) or I've been watching it behind her back, which in her mind would almost be like cheating on her :D

You should just repeat some of the comments CDM makes about the show, verbatim preferably.

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 01, 2013, 10:43:44 PM
You should just repeat some of the comments CDM makes about the show, verbatim preferably.

Actually I forgot to mention I'm going to use some of the reactions posted here :D

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: Ed Anger on April 01, 2013, 07:54:34 PM
Seedy, you dad might like the Luther Brit cop show. If he can tolerate Limey accents.
Good call.  Some quality programming there.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

C.C.R.

Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 01, 2013, 09:48:43 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 01, 2013, 09:43:27 AM
[spoiler]Agree, the older kid could have made a play for his gun. Letting him get too close was a definite no-no. Hard to tell if that was his intention or not.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I didn't like the look on his face, either.  You could see his wheels were turning.  I'd have have :face: him point blank, too.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]My wife & I caught that look, too -- that kid was *DEFINITELY* licking his lips thinking "LOL, an old one-legged man & a little kid, I've got this." His look didn't change until he saw the look in Carl's eyes.  We spent the entire episode of The Talking Dead screaming at the dumbasses for not picking up on that... :P[/spoiler]

Eddie Teach

House of Cards. Fascinating.

Liep

Silver Lining Playbook. Those guys can act. And was that Chris Tucker of Rush Hour fame not being annoying? Yes, yes it was. Great film.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Viking

Quote from: C.C.R. on April 02, 2013, 06:57:14 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on April 01, 2013, 09:48:43 AM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 01, 2013, 09:43:27 AM
[spoiler]Agree, the older kid could have made a play for his gun. Letting him get too close was a definite no-no. Hard to tell if that was his intention or not.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]I didn't like the look on his face, either.  You could see his wheels were turning.  I'd have have :face: him point blank, too.[/spoiler]

[spoiler]My wife & I caught that look, too -- that kid was *DEFINITELY* licking his lips thinking "LOL, an old one-legged man & a little kid, I've got this." His look didn't change until he saw the look in Carl's eyes.  We spent the entire episode of The Talking Dead screaming at the dumbasses for not picking up on that... :P[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Carl didn't say give me the gun, he said put the gun down, the guy who got shot held out the gun and waited for carl to reach for it. Carl shot him when he didn't put the gun down. Carl's BS about reaching for a gun was beside the point, he should have just said what actually happened; viz that the kid refused to put the gun down.[/spoiler]
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

crazy canuck

Meh, the scene was ambiguous enough to make Carl not seem like a cold blooded killer but hint that he is turning into one.

Josephus

WALKING DEAD, MIGHT CONTAIN SPOILERS: That scene, to me, highlighted the whole point of this series: the general decline of "normal" morals and values. Carl is an excellent character to illustrate this because he is not old enough to have experienced too much pre-apocalypse life and thus be tainted by it. Carl sees no right and wrong. Only live or die. Remember the governor at one time in the episode says exactly that: "it's either kill or be killed." I don't think Carl is becoming a psycopath. He is becoming a survivor. You don't survive in this world through an old fashioned moral code. The law of the jungle now only applies. Carl has seen first hand how people whom they've trusted turned against them. IF a person is able to prove their trustworthines, like Michonne, he is more than happy to vouch for them, as we saw a few episodes ago. In Carl's mind, this person, just didn't respond quick enough. There was no time to think. He was protecting not just himself but two weaker people with him. The guy didn't put the gun down when Carl told him to. Carl had no choice but to shoot him.
Spoilers be damned, it's been a few days already.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Josephus on April 03, 2013, 02:28:02 PM
because he is not old enough to have experienced too much pre-apocalypse life and thus be tainted by it.

"Tainted"?