News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scipio

Quote from: Habbaku on March 04, 2013, 06:38:04 PM
http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/03/04/heeeeeres-napoleon-spielberg-developing-kubrick-script-as-tv-miniseries/

/fap
The idea that Kubrick had to give up to make Barry Lyndon.

Is this really wise?

The silent epic Napoleon is probably the best; I don't think Kubrick could have equaled it, and I'm certain Spielberg won't come close.  We'll get some sort of Shaving Ryan's Privates bullshit with overwrought emotionalism and cheesy sentimentality; Napoleon bewailing the loss of individual soldiers on the march back from Russia in the mode of Liam Neeson's Schindler- "with this watch, I could have saved a division!", etc., etc.

I have no confidence whatsoever in Spielberg's ability to handle this subject matter.  There's no great American work about the Napoleonic era, so there's nothing for him to adapt; if we're lucky he'll tack some sort of Boy's Own story on the era and have done with it.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Neil on March 05, 2013, 09:12:54 AM
Joffrey is a male version of Cersei.  Vain, pointlessly cruel and unreasonably proud.

Cersei's cruelty is always very much to the point.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Scipio on March 05, 2013, 11:35:57 AM
I have no confidence whatsoever in Spielberg's ability to handle this subject matter.  There's no great American work about the Napoleonic era, so there's nothing for him to adapt; if we're lucky he'll tack some sort of Boy's Own story on the era and have done with it.

Yeah, he doesn't handle morally ambiguous characters very well; even Schindler's early character development made him less of an exploiter and more of an industrialist Han Solo, all roguish charm.   It's just not Spielberg's style.

And no, I don't think Kubrick could've done any better with Napoleon, considering his body of work either.

Syt

Besides, for battle scale, nothing will ever rival Bondarchuk's War & Peace for which they used tens of thousands of Red Army soldiers in historical costume. Just not the same with CGI.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Scipio

Quote from: Syt on March 05, 2013, 01:28:14 PM
Besides, for battle scale, nothing will ever rival Bondarchuk's War & Peace for which they used tens of thousands of Red Army soldiers in historical costume. Just not the same with CGI.
Reminder: Bondarchuk's epic is available on Youtube, unabridged.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Syt

It's actually amazing - I grew up watching the version with Henry Fonda. Then I read the books, and when I saw Bondarchuk's movie, almost all characters looked pretty much as I imagined them from Tolstoy's work. It's the only movie where I had that; and I consider it a fluke (since everyone imagines book locations/characters differently). It helped that Tolstoy himself only gives a few striking details about a person's looks, and they seem to have cast accordingly.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Admiral Yi

There's a version with Henry Fonda?  :huh:

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

Josephus

Quote from: KRonn on March 05, 2013, 10:34:34 AM
Cersei is smart, devious, cunning, qualities with Joffrey lacks, though maybe he could have developed those if he had lived longer.

Holy spoiler, batman
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Scipio

Quote from: Josephus on March 05, 2013, 03:57:48 PM
Cersei is smart, devious, cunning, qualities with Joffrey lacks, though maybe he could have developed those if he had lived longer.

Holy spoiler, batman
Sounds like vindication.  That kid should have been strangled in the womb.
-Jose Canseco

-Every cop, The Wire

-John Hurt

Neil

Not exactly cunning.  She's good at using her what power she can scrounge together, but pretty much every 'smart' character in the series seems to run rings around her.  Tywin, Tyrion, Olenna Tyrell, Varys, Doran Martell and Littlefinger all seem to be much, much better than her.  And her bumbling allowed the High Sparrow to pretty much cripple the Lannister monarchy.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Ed Anger

Jack the Giant Slayer.

Okay to pass the time.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Razgovory

Quote from: Scipio on March 05, 2013, 07:08:22 PM

Holy spoiler, batman

Joffrey is the most annoying character in all the novels.  He seems to do evil stuff just 'cause.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: Benedict Arnold on March 05, 2013, 04:06:08 AM
I've been watching Ripper Street on BBC America.  Not a bad show, but it amuses me as yet another example of shows I watch intermingling in terms of casts.  So far Bronn, Jorah Mormont, Barristan Selmy, and the future Blackfish have shown up in White Chapel. :lol:  I presume the filming locations are close together.
Ripper Street's filmed in Dublin, so year.

I think it's great. I got a Deadwood vibe off the writing.
Let's bomb Russia!

Josquius

Quote from: Razgovory on March 05, 2013, 08:25:20 PM
Quote from: Scipio on March 05, 2013, 07:08:22 PM

Holy spoiler, batman

Joffrey is the most annoying character in all the novels.  He seems to do evil stuff just 'cause.
This is different to a lot of teenage boys how? :p
██████
██████
██████