News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on February 05, 2013, 08:01:52 AM
Looper- Pretty good, though the ending was a bit of a lame cop out.

[spoiler]Really, I thought making a happy ending would have been the cop out.  The ending was a superb piece about sacrifice.[/spoiler]

crazy canuck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on February 06, 2013, 12:02:05 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 06, 2013, 11:58:04 AM
Quote from: lustindarkness on February 06, 2013, 11:31:21 AM
I have yet to watch an episode of Walking Dead. :( And I have them all on my hard drive. :cry:

3 seasons worth you've been saving without having seen any?  :huh:

I have both seasons of Game of Thrones sitting on my hard drive;  haven't watched any of them either.  :unsure:

Sometimes, it just gets away from you.   :ph34r:

You should watch the walking dead.  It is really very good.

Josephus

It is excellent, I love it and I'm not otherwise a fan of the zombie genre.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josquius

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2013, 06:11:37 PM

[spoiler]Really, I thought making a happy ending would have been the cop out.  The ending was a superb piece about sacrifice.[/spoiler]
[spoiler]
I'm not quite saying it should have been a happy ending but just ending it with "I know, I'll kill myself!", the end, was a bit lame. Would have been nice to have shown some sort of impact on the future, the friend who got all his limbs chopped off showing up intact, the kid having turned out to be a decent guy who decided to kill off the crime syndicate in the future and not close the loops or somesuch. Or showing Willis' wife without him (that part I found really said in a Donnie Darko sort of way...). Or just some sort of more definite ending. [/spoiler]
██████
██████
██████

Grey Fox

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2013, 01:01:46 PM
Quote from: Grey Fox on February 06, 2013, 12:59:18 PM
You gotta be prepared for those lonely summer month.

Why would anyone be lonely in summer?

Because you yanks can't air a good tv show for some reason.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

garbon

Oh you meant bereft of tv - I thought you meant lonely as in no people around. :D
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 06, 2013, 09:25:22 PM
Because you yanks can't air a good tv show for some reason.

Hey man, it's a long standing American tradition of not having shit on TV in the summer except for reruns.  Reason: people wouldn't be home to watch anything new.

garbon

Rizzoli & Isles, Damages and True Blood run/ran in summer.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on February 06, 2013, 10:09:44 PM
Rizzoli & Isles, Damages and True Blood run/ran in summer.

I was referring more to the traditional network practice dating back to the 70s and 80s.  Cable doesn't play by the same rules as they do.

Ideologue

The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly.  I don't accept the film's contention that Clint Eastwood is "the good," at least in the Aristotlean sense.  Otherwise, pretty awesome.  Eli Wallach is my favorite as Tuco.  But why can't petty criminals just trust one another? 1/3 of $500,000 in gold in Civil War times is enough to never work again and, indeed, more than enough to become problematic to prudently spend or change without attracting attention.  JUST SPLIT IT GUYS. A

Mama (2013).  Entertaining little horror movie of the Spanish type, ostensibly about a ghost and two kids, but more pointedly about Jessica Chastain being put upon by everyone in her life and pressured to raise two kids that just appeared one day, whom her boyfriend (their uncle) wants to keep but who are of no relation or particular meaning to her.  On the other hand, she is 35 years old her main activities still seem to revolve largely around playing in her shitty local scene rock band.  As Dr. Evil once said, there is nothing more pathetic than an aging hipster.  I ain't saying these children are your responsibility, but get a real job, lady. Anyway, I liked the ending, which compromises between happy and sorta ballsy. B

Very Venture Bros. Halloween.  It's coming back in March, dudes.  Or May.  Years in the making, because it's basically two guys doing everything.  I respect that. Only B for this particular episode however.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Viking

Quote from: crazy canuck on February 06, 2013, 06:11:37 PM

[spoiler]I just thought it was a clever way to turn the grandfather paradox on it's head. [/spoiler]
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Eddie Teach

Petty criminals? They're killers.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on February 07, 2013, 03:45:16 AM
Petty criminals? They're killers.

Stop fucking up my double entendre.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

LaCroix

off the top of my head-

looper: worth watching, has logical inconsistencies
dredd: possibly the best action film in recent years
moonrise kingdom: excellent, not much else to say except beware recommending it to people who wouldn't understand the underage scene
seven psychopaths: tried too hard, but otherwise okay. not as good as in bruges
ted: creepy stewart-like accent during the aquarium scene. otherwise, decent enough, i suppose
cabin in the woods: delivered premise
django unchained: agree with the issues with the film already posted here. it was okay, and that's about it
21 jump street: awful first 30 minutes, almost dropped it. it recovered after that
flight: who cares about alcoholism? neat premise, awful message
dark knight rises: bane's awfully dubbed voice ruined the character, and for the rest.. really, nolan?
argo: not worth the praise, but all right flick. i like canada

The Larch

Ide, out of curiosity, what is in your mind the "Spanish type of horror"? Creepy kids? Dark houses?