And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Training Day was not 2005.  2001.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Tamas

what can be a "lot better" than Almost Famous? That, and worshipping Ethan Hawke made that wall of text completely lose all relevance.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

Quote from: Queequeg on January 31, 2013, 10:29:40 PM
Training Day was not 2005.  2001.

Yeah, that was filler that didn't get edited.  My bad.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Tamas on February 01, 2013, 10:24:42 AM
what can be a "lot better" than Almost Famous? That, and worshipping Ethan Hawke made that wall of text completely lose all relevance.

Does reading English tire you out, honey?  I'm sorry.  Those were short reviews, fewer than 200 words apiece except for War of the Worlds.

Anyway, I don't worship Ethan Hawke.  He's very good, but his key quality seems to be that he reads scripts before he takes roles, so he tends to bat a higher average than most actors--I'd suggest Tom Cruise appears to do this too, if on a higher tier of production.  I point to Gattaca, Tape, Waking Life, Training Day, and Sinister as prime evidence (also them two Sunset/Sunrise movies, that I never saw but which are supposed to be rather good, and even if I never have watched it, if a movie with Hawke and Dafoe and Neill is wrong--Daybreakers--I don't wanna be right).  I will say that it's a shame that Ethan Hawke has not had a bigger career than he's had.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

FunkMonk

Netflix's House of Cards. I'm enjoying it so far.  :ph34r: :)
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Viking

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 01, 2013, 03:51:19 PM

did you watch the original?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: FunkMonk on February 01, 2013, 03:51:19 PM

My sister was an extra in that in some sort of crowd scene.  Have to ask her about the details.

FunkMonk

Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Barrister

Quote from: Scipio on January 31, 2013, 12:07:31 PM
Quote from: Barrister on January 31, 2013, 11:58:37 AM
The new House of Cards becomes available on Netflix tomorrow.  :shifty:
Cannot fucking wait.

Fresh Air on NPR today is an interview with Spacey and Fincher re: House of Cards.

Only three episodes in.  I'm fucking loving it.

I'm sure some of you assholes have watched it all the way through - you better use spoiler tags.

It's amusing though having some knowledge of the original, I have some pretty good ideas what is going to happen to our plucky young reporter Zoe Baird...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Kleves

Quote from: Barrister on February 03, 2013, 12:29:41 AM
I have some pretty good ideas what is going to happen to our plucky young reporter Zoe Baird...
Nudity (one hopes)!
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Viking

I like how the elementary writers have been putting in references to fantasy literature. I noticed "Casterly Rock Security" (makers of impregable safes) and Harry Dresden (mathematician and civilian war game winner) at first mention, but now I'm temped to re-watch and start googling names.. if only to get tips for books to read.

Anybody else notice this? The internet doesn't seem to have. Am I wrong? Am I overanalizing this?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Kleves

Quote from: Viking on February 03, 2013, 05:39:49 AM
Am I wrong? Am I overanalizing this?
If you're analizing a TV show at all, I'd say you're overdoing it.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Syt

Quote from: Kleves on February 03, 2013, 10:34:05 AM
Quote from: Viking on February 03, 2013, 05:39:49 AM
Am I wrong? Am I overanalizing this?
If you're analizing a TV show at all, I'd say you're overdoing it.

Are you saying there's no TV production, ever, that's worthy of analysis?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Tonitrus

Watched the first episode of Netflix's "House of Cards", and thought I should see the original British version, which I had never seen.

Very good drama, and performance by Ian Richardson.  But all the female characters?  Holy daddy-issues Batman...you'd think all women had them.  :rolleyes: