Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Quote from: Grey Fox on November 22, 2012, 09:09:08 AM
Quote from: Josephus on November 22, 2012, 08:59:08 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2012, 12:52:51 AM

Seems sort of unfair to say compare someone to Christopher Walken.  I honestly remember Uma mostly from The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen.  That is a good entrance.

Yup. Never heard of Uma before. Went to see Baron Munchausen and when she appeared all Venus like out of that conch shell, well I discovered true love.

That's normal, she was 15 in 1988.
Impressive for someone born in 1970
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Syt

Quote from: katmai on November 22, 2012, 02:28:50 PM

Yeah, we already covered that in the past few posts.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

katmai

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2012, 03:07:08 PM
Quote from: katmai on November 22, 2012, 02:28:50 PM

Yeah, we already covered that in the past few posts.

I posted before i went to next page.  :mad:

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on November 22, 2012, 07:21:22 AM
It's not about that. It's that it doesn't *feel* old to me. Similar with tv shows and other movies from the 90s. It's a case of:

Oh that's just perfect! :lol:
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 22, 2012, 06:52:03 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 22, 2012, 12:52:51 AM
Seems sort of unfair to say compare someone to Christopher Walken.  I honestly remember Uma mostly from The Adventures of Baron Munchhausen.  That is a good entrance.

She's boring and anemic, with bony feet.

Whatever you say.  I'm don't have much of an opinion of her one way or another.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

She peaked in Dangerous Liaisons.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Death Proof (standalone, 117 minute version, 2007).  I repeat: Kurt fucking Russell don't show up in movies that suck.  Though the switch from one to the other is awfully jarring while you're watching it, the more I think about I like the bifurcation of the film into two separate movies: first, the old-style exploitation film that makes up the first hour, complete with the Grindhouse accourtrements like shit editing and film scratches, that takes up the first hour and ends with the gruesomely spectacular crash and the death of Stuntman Mike's first victims; followed by the second hour, a professional actioner that indulges in some quiet moments of great filmmaking--like a seven-minute uninterrupted take with a circling camera--and a great many not-so-quiet ones--like Zoe Bell being one of the world's mos terrifyingly awesome human beings.  I enjoy the second part's slightly less skeezy counterpoint to the intentional woman-hating violence of the first.

[spoiler]If there was anything I didn't like, I guess it was Stuntman Mike revealed as a bit of a crybaby.  I know it's sort of the point, but there's a reason most movie villains don't degenerate into mewling and begging--it's not as satisfying. :lol:  Maybe on a second watch, knowing it's coming, I can accept it instead of questioning it, but it was difficult on the first watch.  In the climax, Stuntman Mike is shot (and in movie terms it's a scratch), and he immediately runs, crying as he drives off trying to evade the now-triumphant ladies.  Prior to this moment, Russell has been extremely charismatic and rather badass--in fact, so much so in the bar scene in the first half, that I almost didn't want him to be a serial killer.  Before his turn to hysterics, he's a very cool villain.  But like I said, I think that's supposed to be the point, portraying Stuntman Mike as tremendous fun to watch work his sinister movie magic in the first hour, but under the gaze of our modern, more-enlightened eyes, ultimately revealed to be this pathetic freak who's just jacked off to Crash too many times.  Or maybe that's a bullshit analysis of Tarantino's intentions.  Who cares, that chase scene's fucking amazing, and that's more than meaning enough.[/spoiler]

And I'd be lying if I didn't enjoy lots of pervy shots of Rosario Dawson and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.  Yes. A
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 23, 2012, 10:47:57 AM
And I'd be lying if I didn't enjoy lots of pervy shots of Rosario Dawson and Mary Elizabeth Winstead.  Yes. A

When I grow up, I wanna be Stuntman Mike.

Ideologue

SO. HOW. ABOUT. THAT. LAP. DANCE.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Ideologue

No love from anybody for Dawson?  Aw.
Kinemalogue

katmai

No idea what those two problem with her is, she is muy caliente!

Syt

—Stephen Jay Gould

katmai

Eddie Teach

Given the choice I'd take Winstead, but Dawson can have all the crackers she wants. :perv:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?