News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Watched one episode of Mindhunter.  Liked it, will watch more.  Now back on Ozark.  Damn Jason has stored up some dark feelings from doing all those rom-coms.

Do youse guys know if Netflix tells you when they're going to pull a movie or show from circulation?

katmai

To my knowledge they haven't pulled much of their original programming, if it is third party movies or series, you can find posts online towards end of month with what shows are leaving and premiering the ensuing month.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 10, 2019, 01:59:39 AM
One of my bartenders at the Regal Beagle strongly pushed Ozark on Netflix and 15 minutes I'm really digging it.

Good choice
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2019, 01:02:02 AM
One of my bartenders at the Regal Beagle strongly pushed Ozark on Netflix and 15 minutes I'm really digging it.
Another recco I got that piques my interest is Mindhunter.

Anyone want to chime in?

Ditto
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Tamas

Ozark kind of blindsided me because I thought it'd be a dark comedy, but then ended up just being dark. Still enjoyed it.

The Expanse is okay, and I am sort of waiting for the next season, but it is barely good, let alone "best thing ever", Berks.

Malthus

Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2019, 11:51:57 AM
I am halfwar through season 2, and I think The Expanse might be the best TV I've ever watched.

The expanse is great. Really fills the hard science fiction void nicely.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Habbaku

Quote from: Malthus on August 12, 2019, 09:26:12 AM
Quote from: Berkut on August 10, 2019, 11:51:57 AM
I am halfwar through season 2, and I think The Expanse might be the best TV I've ever watched.

The expanse is great. Really fills the hard science fiction void nicely.

Yep. Star Trek sure as shit isn't.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Josephus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2019, 09:01:17 PM
Watched one episode of Mindhunter.  Liked it, will watch more.  Now back on Ozark.  Damn Jason has stored up some dark feelings from doing all those rom-coms.

Do youse guys know if Netflix tells you when they're going to pull a movie or show from circulation?

I dohn't think so, but they do send out press releases. News Googling Netflix  should help. For instance:

https://bgr.com/2019/08/11/netflix-arrivals-departures-august-11-2019/
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Josephus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 11, 2019, 10:48:53 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 11, 2019, 01:02:02 AM
Another recco I got that piques my interest is Mindhunter.

Anyone want to chime in?

Ditto

Yeah liked Season One. Didn't know they would make S. 2, but apparently it drops this week.

they're based on the work of a real FBI profiler who was a consultant on the Silence of the Lambs series.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

The Nun. Priest and cute young nun-in-training investigate a convent in Romania with a poor reputation. You get what to expect from the genre. Note: the chick gets brief satanic [spoiler]ghost whipping[/spoiler], which is mildly [spoiler]arousing[/spoiler].
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Razgovory

Quote from: Tamas on August 12, 2019, 05:14:23 AM
Ozark kind of blindsided me because I thought it'd be a dark comedy, but then ended up just being dark. Still enjoyed it.

The Expanse is okay, and I am sort of waiting for the next season, but it is barely good, let alone "best thing ever", Berks.

I find it weird because it takes place about a forty minute drive from my home.  I'm used to crime dramas taking place in big cities, not bumfuck Missouri.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

That is one weird FBI dude.

Does anyone know if they have regular FBI agents, or are they all special?

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 13, 2019, 07:52:54 PM
That is one weird FBI dude.

Does anyone know if they have regular FBI agents, or are they all special?

All FBI agents are Special Agents (can carry firearms, arrest, and investigate on their own authority) but lots of non-special agents exist in other federal agencies.  A border patrol agent, for instance, cannot hear about some crime and just go off and investigate on his or her own authority.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story by Martin Scorsese (2018)

The second Pseudo-Documentary of the 1976 Rolling Thunder Revue tour(the first being Renaldo and Clara.)  The concert material is fantastic; Dylan released "Desire" during the tour and most of the songs performed are from that album.  He's joined by quite a crew; Allen Ginsberg, Patti Smith, Joni Mitchell, Joan Baez, Ramblin' Jack Elliot, Roger McGuinn, Ronnie Hawkins and...  :huh: Mick Ronson?  :huh:  The behind the scenes footage from the era is suitably turned on (where does one find the sort of drugs Patti Smith was on?)  The present day interviews are a mix of fact and fiction; it's not clear from the film which is which.  That's just Dylan being Dylan; if you're a fan of the album "Desire" than it's worthwhile for the music, otherwise, the film can be missed.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock