News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liep

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2018, 03:53:20 AM
If you binge any of them you're going to die of repetition.  Do Underworld I, then Hunger Games I, then Transformers I, then hope the heat wave is over.

This was really just to hear Languish' opinion on trash series labelled as "Epic stories to summer binge", I had already decided to start on season 2 of Bosch. :blush:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Savonarola

Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (2018)

Best DC Movie since Lego Batman! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

(And likely to be the best until Lego Batman II)

A clever parody of super hero movies for the parents with poop jokes for the kids and jokes concerning the Challengers of the Unknown for the comic book nerds; this film has it all without losing any of the quirky charm of the series.  Someone at Warner Brothers must understand how comic book movies work if they can make such clever parodies; why are their serious comic book movies so awful?

They had an episode of DC Super Hero Girls before the feature.  I tried watching some of the web series; I don't get it.  I realize I'm not the target demographic, but at 3-4 minutes apiece almost nothing can happen.  What's the point?
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Liep on August 01, 2018, 04:15:43 AM
This was really just to hear Languish' opinion on trash series labelled as "Epic stories to summer binge", I had already decided to start on season 2 of Bosch. :blush:

I was hustled by a Dane! :o

11B4V

Quote from: Liep on August 01, 2018, 04:15:43 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 01, 2018, 03:53:20 AM
If you binge any of them you're going to die of repetition.  Do Underworld I, then Hunger Games I, then Transformers I, then hope the heat wave is over.

Good Man
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

mongers

If you like engineering 'stuff' the series 'Our Guy in Russia' is worth catching, featuring motorbike racer Guy Martin visiting the Kamaz truck factory and kalashnikov facilities amongst others.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Admiral Yi

Chef.  Jon Favreau opens a food truck after losing his job as a chef, and bonds with his son.  It's cute enough.

Eddie Teach

I thought he was a director now.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Quote from: Eddie Teach on August 02, 2018, 01:52:18 AM
I thought he was a director now.
He is mostly. Occasionally acts.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

It's also a four year old movie.

The Larch

Quote from: Admiral Yi on August 02, 2018, 02:13:05 AM
It's also a four year old movie.

Which he produced, wrote, directed and acted. And made Sofía Vergara his character's romantic interest.  :P

I read somewhere that the film is a bit of a rib about his time doing movies for big studios (mostly the Marvel films, as he directed the first two Iron Man ones), and the creative freedom a director has when working in smaller films (represented on the main character's transition from a big shot chef to running a food truck).

Savonarola

This part of the swamp :Canuck: is solid Trump country; so sometimes our movie theaters run movies... a bit outside the mainstream.  So when I saw one of the local theaters was running something called "Death of a Nation," I was only momentarily flummoxed when I couldn't find the movie on "Rotten Tomatoes."  It's yet another classic from Dinesh D'Souza:

and the description is, oh dear:

QuoteNot since 1860 have the Democrats so fanatically refused to accept the result of a free election. That year, their target was Lincoln. They smeared him. They went to war to defeat him. In the end, they assassinated him.

Now the target of the Democrats is President Trump and his supporters. The Left calls them racists, white supremacists and fascists. These charges are used to justify driving Trump from office and discrediting the right "by any means necessary."

But which is the party of the slave plantation? Which is the party that invented white supremacy? Which is the party that praised fascist dictators and shaped their genocidal policies and was in turn praised by them?

Moreover, which is the party of racism today? Is fascism now institutionally embodied on the right or on the left?

Through stunning historical recreations and a searching examination of fascism and white supremacy, Death of a Nation cuts through progressive big lies to expose hidden history and explosive truths.

Lincoln united his party and saved America from the Democrats for the first time. Can Trump—and we—come together and save America for the second time?

I don't want to criticize without having seen the film; but, if that's his narrative, maybe Dinesh shouldn't have named his film after one that led to the resurgence of the Klan.

In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Larch

You don't really need to watch the film to know for certain that it's a huge load of horseshit.

Oexmelin

Dinesh D'Souza is routinely trashed on Twitter by historians. He, and his followers, fanatically cling to the story that Democrats have always been the racist party, and that is the dark truth that has been suppressed by liberal historians.

This has helped me to understand that "Republican" has become such a core to the identity of conservatives, that any attack on the name mobilizes levels of emotion once reserved for the most knee jerk jingoism.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Razgovory

I did read a review in the AV Club.  Hitler was apparently a liberal because he wasn't homophobic.  That's an actual argument.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on August 02, 2018, 10:51:14 AM
I did read a review in the AV Club.  Hitler was apparently a liberal because he wasn't homophobic.  That's an actual argument.

It's a good point well made.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.