News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

The first two seasons of TNG were pretty bad.  I'd skip 'em.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

The Founder. Interesting enough.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Syt

Quote from: grumbler on August 09, 2018, 06:59:23 AM

It did have a few great episodes, though, like Measure of a Man. I'd include those episodes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

grumbler

Quote from: Syt on August 09, 2018, 10:07:32 AM
Quote from: grumbler on August 09, 2018, 06:59:23 AM

It did have a few great episodes, though, like Measure of a Man. I'd include those episodes.

I found that episode to be as contrived as any of the others.

I'd agree, though, that the Tasha Yar episode "Skin Of Evil" and the first Borg episode "I, Borg" are necessary viewing (even if the latter has the supremely irritating and non-credible character Q in it).
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Savonarola

East of Borneo (1931)

One of the ancestors of "Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," this film features Rose Hobart going to Borneo in search of her husband, Charles Bickford; whom she finds is living in Marado (rhymes with Xanadu).  As she's traveling to the Heart of Darkness we find her husband is living as the court physician for Maharajah Georges Revanent.  Maharajah Georges is a pure Aryan, the oldest white race in the world; they had civilization when other white people were living in trees. He lives in an Indian palace and rules over a Hollywood jungle, where South American, African and South East Asian roam about.

Rose arrives and is disappointed to find her husband isn't happy to see her, is constantly downing brandy and living in sin with Lupita Tovar.  The Maharajah, on the other hand, is delighted to see her and tries to impress her by showing her a Maradooian public execution; where a man must try to swim a crocodile infested river.  This and his other attempts to flirt go awry, and Rose manages to impress upon her husband his duties to her before the savage jungle Aryan has his way with her.  Hilarity and destruction ensue.

Best scene:  Rose sets a captive monkey free; and it's immediately eaten by a tiger.

Hobart said that the working conditions for this film were terrible.  She lost so much weight that they had to pad out her evening gown.  This led to her working to establish the Screen Actor's Guild; which in turn led her being blacklisted during the red scare.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Savonarola

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

This must have been really really mind blowing in 1968 before the release of the book even if especially if you weren't on drugs.  Even today the Life-Death-Rebirth as the (where's your bop gun now) Star Child; all taking place in a Second Empire bedroom with a disco lighted floor is still weird.

I read that György Ligeti learned that his music was in the film by watching it.  Except for minimalism, I'm not much of a fan of post World War II classical music; but his music is great and perfect for the movie.

For a movie with about 12 lines of dialogue, it's surprisingly quotable.  HAL gets all the good lines (foolproof and incapable of error.)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Iormlund

The docking scene is one of my absolute favorites. Pure genius.

Oexmelin

Quote from: Savonarola on August 10, 2018, 09:07:48 AM
For a movie with about 12 lines of dialogue, it's surprisingly quotable.  HAL gets all the good lines (foolproof and incapable of error.)

Yes, I always thought it made the confrontation great. When humans are talking it's always superficial, or meaningless bureaucratic filler, or straight up disingenuous. Their conversation are defined by conventions more than content. It's only HAL who seems to attempt to inject meaning into things.
Que le grand cric me croque !

Josquius

Safe - I thought this was an American series where dexter played a brit. Its actually a British series. And not at all what I expected.
Pretty good.
Though dexters accent is awful.
██████
██████
██████

The Brain

Mademoiselle Paradis. Blind chick in lace times plays the piano and gets treated by Dr. Mesmer (for the blindness, not the playing). Totally OK. It keeps focus on the issue and doesn't wander off. Notes: the movie is in Foreign. [spoiler]There is no lesbian sex.[/spoiler]

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Berkut

Quote from: Oexmelin on August 08, 2018, 03:16:17 PM
If you've never seen it, you should watch the original: Frears' adaptation of Dangerous Liaisons, with Glenn Close, Malkovitch, Michelle Pfeiffer, Uma Thurman, and (gasp) Keanu Reeves. They were all so young then too. 
Uma looks amazing in that. Just...amazing.

And its a really, really good movie.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Josephus

Quote from: Berkut on August 11, 2018, 04:06:29 AM
Quote from: Oexmelin on August 08, 2018, 03:16:17 PM
If you've never seen it, you should watch the original: Frears' adaptation of Dangerous Liaisons, with Glenn Close, Malkovitch, Michelle Pfeiffer, Uma Thurman, and (gasp) Keanu Reeves. They were all so young then too. 
Uma looks amazing in that. Just...amazing.

And its a really, really good movie.

Although Keanu was horrible, but yeah when that movie came out I went through quite the Uma phase. Didnt know there was a remake.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011