News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Avengers 2- more of the same. Some decent jokes and some decent action scenes, but just not very memorable.
Age of Adaline- Cute little romantic fairy tale.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Sophie Scholl

Quote from: celedhring on November 08, 2015, 03:36:50 AM
I'd say that it's the same story as in superhero flicks (except Superman) before the X-Men movies in the 2000s showed you could make millions if you treated the subject seriously. Before the X-Men movies all superhero material was treated as B-movie material, with terrible budgets (and in turn terrible writers and directors), looking to make a quick buck with nerds that didn't know any better. The same has happened with videogame movies.

Thanks to the Tomb Raider flicks, videogame movies sort of earned the chance of getting out of the B-movie hole, so now you have stuff like Prince of Persia, Silent Hill, and the upcoming Assassin's Creed movie - which has a lot of great talent attached to it. Warcraft is pretty expensive too. You show Hollywood you can make money for them, and they will give you money.

Now, I don't think Hollywood really believes in the genre yet, it still carries a big stigma and big budget videogame flicks haven't been too successful besides the first Tomb Raider. But they see the billions in the videogame industry and want a piece of that cake.
What about the Burton Batman movies?
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

They were followed by the Schumacher Batman movies.

mongers

'Selma' - a worthy film, best if you're not familiar with the civil rights movement or US history, so that would be pretty much no one on Languish. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Eddie Teach

Quote from: celedhring on November 08, 2015, 05:27:58 PM

And Superman 2 was followed by Superman 3 and 4.

Point is, '89 Batman was best of the bunch until The Dark Knight came along.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Malthus

Finally saw Little Miss Sunshine. Very dark, very funny.

[spoiler]Particularly the scene where the traffic cop stops them, and the grand finale at the talent show. Though I admit, I already suspected what would happen at that, from the fact that no-one in the family had actually seen the little girl's act rehearsed.  ;)

At times, the movie was a bit uncomfortable, simply because it was so very harsh to the characters - I mean, each and every one of them has their dreams essentially crushed during the course of the movie. I get that the ending was supposed to be the cathartic pay-off where they all bond, and move forward despite all the setbacks, but sheesh. [/spoiler]
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

celedhring

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 08, 2015, 05:43:25 PM
Quote from: celedhring on November 08, 2015, 05:27:58 PM

And Superman 2 was followed by Superman 3 and 4.

Point is, '89 Batman was best of the bunch until The Dark Knight came along.

The point is that Batman and Robin killed the DC universe until the Dark Knight came along. DC are a special case because only one company can make films based on DC characters (Warner Bros), so if it doesn't happen there (and B&R put a big damper on things) it wasn't going to happen anywhere.

The only film made between B&R and Nolan's reboot was... Catwoman. Yup, that surely helped things :D

Marvel characters had a number of different studios behind them (Fox, Paramount, Sony, now Disney).

Sophie Scholl

I believe they had some animated films in there.  Maybe not theatrical releases, but movie length.  They seemed to view big budget efforts as a waste of time and money when they could just pump out animated series and movies for tv and the direct market.  Also, I think Constantine predated DKB.  There was a really bad Shaq Steel movie as well.  Probably the trifecta of B&R, Catwoman, and STeel is what gave them pause.
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

celedhring

Constantine and Batman Begins came out the same year IIRC.

Admiral Yi

Is Star Trek Generations watchable or sucky?  It's on right now.

Tonitrus

It's watchable.

Edit: Well...it's watchable if you like/are familiar with Trek.  If not, probably not.  But then, you could probably say that about pretty much any Trek movie.

Probably not as good as First Contact...definitely far better than Insurrection or Nemesis.

Barrister

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2015, 12:21:11 AM

Watchable if you have a fondness for Star Trek.  Not the best Trek movie ever, but not the worst.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Barrister on November 09, 2015, 12:57:27 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 09, 2015, 12:21:11 AM

Watchable if you have a fondness for Star Trek.  Not the best Trek movie ever, but not the worst.

Agreed. At least it sucks while being Star Trek.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Admiral Yi

I'm having trouble staying: ENGAGED.

Will make some effort to at least channel flip it.

Martinus