News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

The Man Who Kidnapped Eichmann, 1960s film directed by Robert Duvall.  Not a great flick. 

The movie makes it seem as if Eichmann was complicit in his own kidnapping.

katmai

?? you mean the mid 90's film starring Duvall?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Admiral Yi

Quote from: katmai on September 25, 2015, 12:05:31 AM
?? you mean the mid 90's film starring Duvall?

Well shit.  Pretty crummy production values for a 90s TV movie.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Ideologue

Quote from: Berkut on September 24, 2015, 11:09:56 PM
Quote from: katmai on September 24, 2015, 04:34:01 PM
Jupiter Rising is better than Snake Eyes.

<Insert any movie other than Snake Eyes here>  is better than Snake Eyes.

Hyperbole is fun, but is it useful?  Let's ask Berkut.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

11B4V

Quote from: Ideologue on September 25, 2015, 12:48:08 AM
Quote from: Berkut on September 24, 2015, 11:09:56 PM
Quote from: katmai on September 24, 2015, 04:34:01 PM
Jupiter Rising is better than Snake Eyes.

<Insert any movie other than Snake Eyes here>  is better than Snake Eyes.

Hyperbole is fun, but is it useful?  Let's ask Berkut.

Twilight is better than Snake Eyes.

What's Snake Eyes about?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 24, 2015, 05:10:13 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on September 24, 2015, 02:40:18 PM
Quote from: Valmy on September 24, 2015, 12:50:51 PM
Quote from: The Brain on September 24, 2015, 12:16:53 PM
Shakespeare in Love is a lot better than Saving Private Ryan.

Damning with feint praise.

Saving Private Ryan is a LOT better than The Breakfast Club.

The first 20 minutes of Saving Private Ryan maybe, the rest of the movie, not so much.

Yeah, never a good sign when the best scene of a film is the opening...

Begs the question... last legitimately great Spielberg film? Catch me if you can, I guess.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grey Fox on September 24, 2015, 08:22:17 PM
TBC is one of the best movie ever made.

It's serious without being thoughtful and tries to pass off the notion that the characters not being the caricatures they started the movie as was a great profundity.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Liep

True Detective 2.  Entertaining cop drama, disappointing ending.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on September 22, 2015, 11:56:19 PM
The Martian, to my understanding, has a very solid basis for its screenplay;

Based on a cultish procedural Sci-Fi novel that became a hit via the amazon self-publishing lottery
Read it a bit ago - not going to win any literary prizes but a funnish beach sort of read for nerdy trekky sort of folk.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Ideologue

I'm only going by thirdhand reports.

Of course, The Counselor had a screenplay by one of our most celebrated authors, so who knows?  I mean, I liked it, but most didn't.  (And that one I do get why it was met with bemused hostility.)
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on September 23, 2015, 08:45:24 PM
Things I've learned about katmai lately:

1)He doesn't understand or like ambitious formalistic exercises, probably because all he knows is it would make his job harder.

Nothing wrong with an ambitious formal exercise, as long as one understands it's an exercise.  Yeah the Snake Eyes opening shot is impressive technically, but the in the context of an actual movie it was contrived.  And then followed by a ludicrous script with one-dimensional characters and a badly directed Nick Cage hamming it up without control.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Ideologue on September 24, 2015, 07:57:36 PM
SPR and The Breakfast Club are both pretty great, too.

Still is must be admitted that some well-placed machine gun fire and an amphibious assault would have improved the TBC
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?