Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Scipio on July 25, 2015, 06:10:42 PM
Justified.

Seconded.

And unlike The Brink, you won't be caught up in 3 hours.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

As CC said Kingsman is pretty entertaining. Fucking crazy over the top but fun.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

11B4V

Been burning through Ray Donovan season 1 & 2. Very good so far.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

katmai

Just binge watched Halt and Catch Fire and unbreakable kimmie Schmidt this last week.
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Gravity again.  So great, so awesome.  First time I actually watched the blu-ray--not the IMAX 3D experience, to be sure, but unsurpassably thrilling nonetheless.  The magic ghost part doesn't bother me as much as it used to.

Several episodes of Inside Amy Schumer.  Is ok.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Habbaku

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 25, 2015, 12:19:03 PM
Nymphomaniac Volume 1. For a movie about sex, there sure is a lot of talking.

The Mrs. H segment is one of the funniest things I've seen in a while.

I actually really enjoyed the director's cut of both volumes, though the first moreso than the second.  Definitely a very art-faggy film, though.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 25, 2015, 06:22:33 PM
I've channel surfed about four episodes of Justified and it seems like more or less the same thing happens in each episode.
True.  People & settings change, yet, it's always Raylan Givens provoking bad guys into attacking him and then getting rid of them one way or another.

Yet, it is immensely fun and many of the characters have unforgettable lines.
Random dialogue between a woodbe criminal and a store owner:
[spoiler]
- Do you have a ski mask?
- What for?  We're in Kentucky!
- Anything that covers your face?
- You want me to call the police and tell them you're about to commit a crime?
[/spoiler]

And my favorite:
[spoiler]
Marshal: - Are you a Star Wars fan?
Criminal: ...
- I am.  Especially the non retouched episodes. The one scene in particular where Han Solo shoots first.  Do you get my meaning?
- (nods)
[/spoiler]
Quoted from my head, may not be 100% accurate, but you get the feeling.

Imho, it's goddam fun to watch.  Silly, maybe on a scale from 1 to Banshee, about 90%, yet, very funny :)

Oh. and there's that southern accent. It adds a little something to the show :)  Maybe 'cause it aint' my country and my language, it makes it more exotic :)
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on July 26, 2015, 01:08:43 AM
True.  People & settings change, yet, it's always Raylan Givens provoking bad guys into attacking him and then getting rid of them one way or another.

And hotties trying to bang him.

Darth Wagtaros

New season of Gravity Falls.
I tried Halt and Catch Fire. I want most of the characters to get shot.
PDH!

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 26, 2015, 01:22:19 AM
Quote from: viper37 on July 26, 2015, 01:08:43 AM

And hotties trying to bang him.
usually, one per year.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 26, 2015, 06:50:37 AM
I tried Halt and Catch Fire. I want most of the characters to get shot.

Egos are bigger in Texas. :alberta:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: The Brain on July 23, 2015, 03:38:20 PM
How good is Criterion Kagemusha? Is it a long version?

AFAIK, it's the only way to get the long Japanese cut (3-hour long) in the West on Blu-ray.

Grey Fox

Justified is awesome because Olyphant is basically playing his Deadwood character in a modern setting.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Juice. I thought that I'd seen it back in the day, but none of it was familiar so maybe not.

The story wasn't one about how ghetto life systematically crushes dreams and aspirations(what I expected, probably this was the point of Boyz n the Hood IIRC). It was about poor choices and their consequences. Republicans would probably enjoy it.

KRonn

Quote from: Liep on July 25, 2015, 03:45:42 PM
Quote from: celedhring on July 25, 2015, 03:00:42 PM
Kingsman's just great.

I'm looking for some series to watch... Turn: yay or nay?

Brink on HBO. Tim Robbins is amazing.

I just started watching that, seems a good show.

Another show I started watching a few weeks ago is Humans. Good one, I like it. A Brit show.