News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

There's a Galaxy Quest series in the works. I love the movie, but I'm not sure you can stretch the joke to 22 episodes.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/galaxy-quest-series-paramount-television-1201413544/

Eddie Teach

The Hills Have Eyes. Creepy.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

KRonn

Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2015, 04:42:23 AM
There's a Galaxy Quest series in the works. I love the movie, but I'm not sure you can stretch the joke to 22 episodes.

That was a great movie, hilarious.   :D

11B4V

http://deadline.com/2015/04/galaxy-quest-series-paramount-television-1201413544/

:bleeding:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2015, 04:52:13 PM

:bleeding:

Screw that - they need to get going on another Star Trek series. :mad:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 22, 2015, 04:03:11 AM
Battle Royale. Watchable.

I know some of you compared Hunger Games unfavorably to this, but at least HG had a rationale that was better than "wouldn't it be cool to have kids fight to the death" (BR had some retarded shit about children being disrespectful as the reason to have a random class kill each other). The Hunger Games replace the Minotaur, but both those stories are about a powerful, bloodthirsty state ruling their neighbors through fear. You may not buy it, especially in a near future setting, but it is a better pretext than "just because".

It's goofy either way.  BR is just a fun little exploitation movie, HG is a bloated, badly-acted, extremely poorly shot would-be epic with pretensions to greatness that it doesn't live up to in the littlest way.  There's just no contest.

Now, Battle Royale II... :bleeding:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on April 22, 2015, 04:03:11 AM
Battle Royale. Watchable.

I know some of you compared Hunger Games unfavorably to this, but at least HG had a rationale that was better than "wouldn't it be cool to have kids fight to the death" (BR had some retarded shit about children being disrespectful as the reason to have a random class kill each other). The Hunger Games replace the Minotaur, but both those stories are about a powerful, bloodthirsty state ruling their neighbors through fear. You may not buy it, especially in a near future setting, but it is a better pretext than "just because".
Don't know about the live action movie but in the original manga/anime it was basically the same reason as the Hunger Games. A totalitarian government broadcasting it to keep the proles in line.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

When you say that you're not making The Hunger Games better, you're just making Battle Royale worse.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Anyway, iirc, it's explicitly presented as a way to discipline Japan's increasingly unruly teenagers.  So of course the Battle's participants are chosen randomly by lot.  It doesn't make sense and it's stupid, but it also knows it.  No big deal.
Kinemalogue

Syt

Isn't Battle Royale essentially a satire of Japanese high school drama stories?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Bulk Kinemalogue update for any interested parties.

Individual reviews:

It Follows (2015).  Exceptional technique meets a great idea, yet somehow the result is only a very good movie.  B+

The Atomic Submarine (1959).  Cardboard Science returns!  With a perfectly average B-movie.  B

Expanded, slightly more rigorous thoughts on the Harry Potter series:

Part I: Stone, Secrets, Azkaban, Fire
Part II: Phoenix, Prince, Deathly Hallows 1 and 2

The career of David Fincher, ranked and retrospected:

10.  The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008): D
9.  Alien 3 C+
8.  Panic Room (2002)  C+
7.  The Game  (1997)  C+
6.  The Social Network (2010)  A+
5.  Zodiac  (2007)  A+
4.  Fight Club  (1999)  A+
3.  Seven  (1995)  A+
2.  The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011)  A+
1.  Gone Girl  (2014)  A+
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

I know you've taken flak in the past for giving everything a B+, but this is a bit far in the other direction. Many of those films are quite ordinary, yet you're giving them A+ or D.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2015, 12:07:19 AM
Isn't Battle Royale essentially a satire of Japanese high school drama stories?

Aren't all Japanese drama stories about high school? Or, you know, battle robots or cities under siege by monsters...all defended by high schoolers.

Seriously, do Japanese people ever get out of high school or is their society built like one big high school?

People constantly tell me manga and anime is for adults, but they're all about high school.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Syt

It's a popular trope, but fortunately there's exceptions. I need to rewatch Legend of Galactic Heroes.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.