News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2015, 05:20:14 AM
It's a popular trope, but fortunately there's exceptions. I need to rewatch Legend of Galactic Heroes.
Yeah, that one's about collge age people defending the universe.
PDH!

Syt

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on April 23, 2015, 05:55:56 AM
Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2015, 05:20:14 AM
It's a popular trope, but fortunately there's exceptions. I need to rewatch Legend of Galactic Heroes.
Yeah, that one's about collge age people defending the universe.

Not really. The only who's at school age or no longer a cadet would be the Yang's aide/ward who takes over in the end. The others would at least be in their 20s and 30s AFAICT.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Liep

Quote from: Syt on April 23, 2015, 07:40:18 AM
Best Star Wars trailer reaction video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=144&v=ayLZk4oNwuQ

You could make a reaction video to that reaction video.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Darth Wagtaros

Ide needs to do a review of Roar!, the 1981 film with Melanie Griffin set at a California lion reserve. 
PDH!

jimmy olsen

I saw Avengers: Age of Ultron

I would put it 4 on my list of MCU films, beneath The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man, in that order.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

lustindarkness

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 23, 2015, 08:49:32 AM
I saw Avengers: Age of Ultron

I would put it 4 on my list of MCU films, beneath The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy and Iron Man, in that order.

Unpossible, the hype machine is telling us it is the awesomest greatest excellent film in history.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

crazy canuck

Quote from: Barrister on April 22, 2015, 04:59:39 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on April 22, 2015, 04:52:13 PM
Quote from: celedhring on April 22, 2015, 04:42:23 AM
There's a Galaxy Quest series in the works. I love the movie, but I'm not sure you can stretch the joke to 22 episodes.

http://deadline.com/2015/04/galaxy-quest-series-paramount-television-1201413544/

:bleeding:

Screw that - they need to get going on another Star Trek series. :mad:

I have been watching a number of original series episodes.  I haven't watched them since I was a kid.  Two things are striking.  First, the number of times problems are solved with violence - it is really Kirk's go to method of problem solving.  Second, the number of times the Prime Directive is violated.  I don't think there is an episode where the Directive is actually obeyed (where it is a relevant consideration).  The most striking example is when Kirk frees followers of a AI unit shaped like a snakes head.  Kirk destroys it despite the fact the people have perfect health, are perfectly happy and will never die.  Kirk simply tells them they will get used to their new found freedom and they will like it more.

It all makes sense when one considers the time period the show was made.  Most of the stories are couched in terms of the issues of the day including the cold war.

Martinus

I love how Modern Family acknowledges that "otter" continues to be the most confusing and unknown-by-straights gay slang term. :D

This show must have a very creative gay writer.  :P

crazy canuck

There are probably a lot of gay slang terms unknown to people who never hear them.

Valmy

Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2015, 02:54:24 PM
I love how Modern Family acknowledges that "otter" continues to be the most confusing and unknown-by-straights gay slang term. :D

A skinny bear? How is that confusing?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Malthus

Quote from: Martinus on April 23, 2015, 02:54:24 PM

This show must have a very creative gay writer.  :P

Well, I certainly don't know it. And I'm not about to google "gay otter", either.  :P

Care to fill me in?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Martinus

Valmy gets the honorary gay award for knowing the term.

Essentially an otter is a slim hairy guy. As in "Renly the Otter King".