News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2014, 07:24:08 PM
Shame is so mediocre. It's like Reefer Madness for hot men with apparently infinite sexual access.  What a fucking joke. No, scratch that, even RM makes its vice look fun at first.
Shame's okay, but definitely his weakest film. Have you watched Hunger yet?
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I haven't, but it's not my fault.  It was on Hulu Plus, right?  And then they took it off literally like the day I was going to watch it.

It's one of the shitty things about streaming services.  Netflix did the same thing with American Psycho (I was going to watch it around Halloween, missed it, and it got canned at midnight) and Panic Room, which I assumed would be there when I was going to do my Fincher retrospective, which it wasn't. <_<

I guess I could've gotten the disc, but I'm notoriously bad about getting a disc, and losing the fervor to watch it, sitting on it for months.  I've had Bob le Flambeur for about 65 days, thanks to it arriving about two minutes after my desire to watch heist movies dried up. :grr:

Anyway, I understand Hunger has a bitchin' actor-centric long take. :wub:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Oh, I was gonna ask if anyone's ever seen some show with the dumb name of "Peaky Blinders"?  It's on Netflix and ordinarily I doubt I'd give a shit, but it's 1)got Cillian Murphy, a favorite, 2)got Sam Neill, a super-favorite, and 3)may well involve Thomson submachinegun action.  So my interest is at least a little piqued.  (Lol. :rolleyes: )
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I skipped over it due to its stupid name.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

By all means, carry on.  I look forward to it.

Ideologue

Kinemalogue

Savonarola

Quote from: Ideologue on November 18, 2014, 12:19:36 PM
On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being elegant and powerful, and 1 being Fury, how would you rate Come and See?

I'd rate it as elegant and powerful based largely on the acting of the protagonist.  He seems to visibly age as the film progresses and he's exposed to the horrors of war.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

So, in the midst of a hypertensive crisis where I can't sleep, I watched Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy last night.  It's genuinely nice to not be insulted by Hollywood from time to time.

And it is a true a shame that spycraft simply isn't don't like that anymore, in all its subtle and romantic brutality.  All done behind keyboards now by a bunch of Millennial Assburgertwats.  Hurl.

Maladict

I was roped into seeing Dumb and Dumber To yesterday.
Still can't believe how terrible it was. At least half of the jokes got no audience reaction at all.
I actually think there were fewer funny moments in the movie than there were in the trailer.

Ed Anger

I liked the toilet scene from the first one.

CountDeMoney

True Detective 2 news:

QuoteTrue Detective' Season 2: Everything We Know Right Now (Almost)
By Ben Travers | Indiewire
November 18, 2014

What's it About?
From HBO: "Three police officers and a career criminal must navigate a web of conspiracy in the aftermath of a murder."

There have been rumors and discussion about various storylines—including, but certainly not limited to, the death of a corrupt city manager and how the ensuing investigation leads to the detectives discovering the secret occult nature of California's transportation system—but why overwhelm yourself with knowledge about a show you already know you're going to watch every week?

Part of why "True Detective" Season 1 worked so well was that no one knew what to expect. So we here at Indiewire have chosen not to reveal anything deemed "too spoiler-y" for our readers. What makes something too much of a spoiler? Well, there are certain things you want to know, and other things you want to know but don't need to know.

Knowing, for instance, that Rust Cohle and Marty Hart won't be returning for Season 2 is important. Knowing character names and who's playing who is also kind of important, because it allows fans to get excited about seeing certain actors pop up in one of their favorite shows (and warns them about least favorites popping up, as well). That's why we're here—for the big stuff. For the rest, we're merely encouraging you to watch, enjoy, and discuss plot details after you experience them as the writer and director intended—post-airing.

Who's in it?
Locked:
Colin Farrell and Vince Vaughn remain the only two cast members officially enlisted for "True Detective" Season 2. While many other names have been tossed around during this long process, HBO has yet to confirm any other actors for the hotly-anticipated follow-up season.

Farrell will play Ray Velcoro, "a compromised detective whose allegiances are torn between his masters in a corrupt police department and the mobster who owns him." Vaughn, meanwhile, stars as Frank Semyon, "a career criminal in danger of losing his empire when his move into legitimate enterprise is upended by the murder of a business partner." Both descriptions are courtesy of HBO, hence their relevancy here.

Likely:
The two big names being tossed around are Rachel McAdams and Taylor Kitsch. McAdams was given a big, exclusive write-up in Variety back at the end of September claiming HBO had offered her the role, but confirmation still has yet to come down from on high. The actress has personally been mute on the subject, as well, an idea foreign to both Farrell—who confirmed his involvement in an interview two days before HBO officially announced it—and Kitsch, who also went as far as to nod in agreement with an interviewer who said he had the show "coming up." Kitsch too, though, has not yet been confirmed.

Others:
Going along with the aforementioned plot details we chose not to mention, there has been a slew of C- and D-list cast members reported to be attached for Season 2. It's not important you know who they're playing in as much detail as some have chosen to divulge—again, you'll be watching the show anyway, so just wait—but if you want the names, here you go.

• Lolita Davidovich - a prominent character actor in everything from "NCIS" to "Curb Your Enthusiasm," Davidovich will be playing Paul Woodrugh's (Kitsch) mother, Nancy Simpson.
• James Frain - most recently in "Intruders," Frain will be starring as a ruthless police lieutenant named Jeff Hunt. (get it? he's ruthless, so he hunts).
• Kelly Reilly - the "Black Box" and "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" star will play Morgan, who is apparently self-possessed (no idea what that means).
• Michael Irby - everyone's favorite veteran of "Almost Human" and "The Unit" returns to cop shows as Ani Bezzerides' (McAdams) partner, Elvis.
• Abigail Spencer - the knockout from "Rectify" will play Alicia, the survivor of a sexual attack
• Leven Rambin - a well-known face thanks to "The Hunger Games" and "Grey's Anatomy," Rambin will be playing the drug-troubled Sophia.
• Riley Smith - the "True Blood" actor will play McAdams' boyfriend, Steve Mercier

Who's Writing It?
HBO confirmed what we all suspected in its one and only press release on the subject: Creator Nic Pizzolatto is writing Season 2, just as he did Season 1. No matter your thoughts on the man himself, I think we can all agree there's no one else we want writing seasons of "True Detective."

Who's Directing?
Good question. Justin Lin has been confirmed to direct, but only for the first two episodes. Unlike when Cary Fukunaga helmed all eight episodes last year, it looks like Season 2 will be divvied up among a few different directors. Who else will be behind the camera? We have no idea, but as with the rest of this production, HBO better make some decisions right quick if they want to get start shooting before 2015.

So When Does Shooting Start?
According to the statement issued by HBO, production was set to begin in the fall of this year. Technically, this means shooting could start any day before the Vernal Equinox on December 21, but we're almost a month away from that and I don't know anyone who still considers it "fall" once December hits. In other words, I expect a production announcement in the next two weeks, if not sooner. What we do know, courtesy of Collin Farrell himself, is that it will be about a four-to-five month shoot and take place along the coast of California, near Los Angeles.

Release Date?
No idea. Some fan sites are still clinging to hope Season 2 will premiere in January, just as Season 1 did, but other semi-legitimate sites are reporting a summer 2015 release. Most, however, aren't saying anything at all because, again, HBO is staying mum on the subject.

Miscellaneous
• Season 2 will consist of eight episodes.
• Each episode will be an hour-long.
• Taylor Kitsch took a year off of acting so he could better his chances of landing this role.
• Colin Farrell is very, very excited to be moving into TV.
• Vince Vaughn (6'5") is half-a-foot taller than the next-tallest member of the cast (Taylor Kitsch at 5'11") and more than foot taller than Rachel McAdams (5'4"), who he co-starred with in "Wedding Crashers." Does this mean we should expect a similar finale to Season 1?

Ed Anger

Colin Farrell is very, very excited to be relevant again.