News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaCroix

anyway, leftovers spoilers -

[spoiler]now we know why wayne is a crucial element to the story. he's the antithesis to the GR. the GR try to actively discourage people from moving on from october 14, while wayne actively encourages people to let go and move on. the whole baby-"bridge" element seems relevant to this discussion of two opposite ends of the spectrum. (edit - actually, i think this might be supported by that scene early on when wayne said tom's refusal to receive wayne's gift -- i.e., moving on -- made tom the perfect candidate to protect his child)

the core theme behind the show is really getting fleshed out. it's applying to society a personal struggle to a truly traumatizing event and showing both perspectives. some people never let go and let the wound fester. the GR isn't nihilistic at all, they just view the world from a different perspective - there's no moving on; people are lying to themselves; we have to help them by forcing them to remember.

it's no wonder the creators have said they aren't going to delve into the reason behind the departure. that shit just doesn't matter. it's an event people can't easily explain away, because it just doesn't make sense. this makes it more traumatic. if the purpose of the show is to play these two bookmarks off one another, then it doesn't need to explain the event that caused it. it's irrelevant.[/spoiler]

Martinus

Is it good? I saw trailers on HBO and was sorta "meh". Felt like another Children of Men/Lost/Torchwood boring thing.

Martinus

On a similar note, I have access to HBO GO, so technically can watch any tv series they ever made. I have already seen (recently or in the past) Six Feet Under, Rome, Veep, True Blood, Looking, Game of Thrones, Bad Education. Could not get into Boardwalk Empire, not that interested in Sopranos. Any other series they have which you guys would recommend (and, if old, which would still feel fresh if you watched it today).

Admiral Yi

Martinus

LaCroix

Quote from: Martinus on August 18, 2014, 02:28:59 AM
Is it good? I saw trailers on HBO and was sorta "meh". Felt like another Children of Men/Lost/Torchwood boring thing.

it's a show about characters. it's got an element of religious undertone without being a religious show, so you might find that interesting with your catholic background (i know you're not religious). a depressive and more mature, deeper, and better made Lost is sort of a way to describe it. except, Lost relied more on the mystery elements than leftovers, imo.

Ideologue

Asphalt Jungle (1950).  Sterling Hayden, a really neat heist sequence, and a great gunfight sequence.  Highly enjoyable, though watching Rififi again today probably didn't do it any favors.

B+

In addition to Rififi, I watched Topkapi and The Brain From Planet Arous as well.

I received my Ray Harryhausen collection yesterday (contains It Came From Beneath the Sea, Earth vs. The Flying Saucers, 2,000,000 Miles to Earth, and 7th Voyage of Sinbad).  Unfortunately, I haven't had the time to watch 'em--mostly again, though somehow I've avoided 2mm Miles to Earth.

Also got a DVD deal with Them! and The Creature From 20,000 Fathoms, along with a couple of filler titles, World Without End and Satellite in the Sky, that I'd never heard of, though the Satellite one sounds cool--it's some kind of astronauts-in-trouble thriller, and I tend to enjoy those.  I'll be looking at all of 'em at some point in the future.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on August 18, 2014, 02:31:56 AM
On a similar note, I have access to HBO GO, so technically can watch any tv series they ever made. I have already seen (recently or in the past) Six Feet Under, Rome, Veep, True Blood, Looking, Game of Thrones, Bad Education. Could not get into Boardwalk Empire, not that interested in Sopranos. Any other series they have which you guys would recommend (and, if old, which would still feel fresh if you watched it today).

True Detective

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Larch

Martinus

Thanks, all very valid recommendations but... anyhing more escapist? As you can see from the list of the HBO shows I watched, most were escapist to a degree, i.e. featuring either fantasy elements or being set way way back in the past or were comedies.

Other (non HBO) shows I recently liked were Penny Dreadful and American Horror Story.

Martinus

Eddie Teach

Fargo had some rather fantastic elements. As did Breaking Bad. And of course, there's always The Walking Dead.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Martinus on August 18, 2014, 08:20:13 AM
Thanks, all very valid recommendations but... anyhing more escapist? As you can see from the list of the HBO shows I watched, most were escapist to a degree, i.e. featuring either fantasy elements or being set way way back in the past or were comedies.

Other (non HBO) shows I recently liked were Penny Dreadful and American Horror Story.

On HBO, Deadwood and Carnivale were excellent, if unfinished.

Josquius

Fargo is quite a comedy too.
The synopsis does sound crap but it really is rather good.

Also look up the BBC's In the Flesh if you haven't yet.
██████
██████
██████