Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

celedhring

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2014, 06:37:46 PM
Quote from: celedhring on June 30, 2014, 06:32:44 PM
What happened with Tilapia?

Cal said he thought it was a tasty fish, Larch said he had peasant tastes: vendetta.

Tilapia is pretty bland unless you cook it properly.

Ed Anger

The Tilapia incident:

(In the fud thread)

Me: I had tilapia
larch: Durrrrrrrrr, unsustainable fish! Durrrrrrrrrrrr I SMART EURO, YOU DUMB AMERICAN
Me: LOL Wut?
Larch: whoops, wrong fish. Mea Culpa
Me: lol.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

That is how I remember it.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

CountDeMoney

Sounds about right, though.

Admiral Yi

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Savonarola

I saw the "Great Performances" production of "King Lear" with the Royal Shakespeare Company from 2008.  Ian McKellen was Lear.  This productions, strangely, solves the problem of what happens to the jester by having him hanged by Cornwall's men just after Cornwall has been dragged from stage.  I think the intent was to give Lear's line "And my poor fool has been hanged" a double meaning, but I think that makes it even more confusing.

Gandalf does a great job as Lear, of course.  He even has the perfect hair and beard for the role.   :)
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

So, I watched Forbidden Planet again the other night and I'm in the middle of writing it up, and I was considering Louis and Bebe Barron's "electronic tonalities."  (TFP's is the first electronic score in film history.)  What I find so interesting is not just how musically weird it is, but formally also: how it bleeds into actual, diagetic sound and becomes unified with it at many points in the movie, from the actual Krell music to the roar of the Id Monster and the sounds of the klystron relays.  Is there anywhere else where a score is used in this or an equally weird fashion?  To define it, I guess I'd call it "are there any other movies where sound effects become music, or vice-versa?  The only one I can think of is The Amazing Spider-Man 2, where Hans Zimmer et al's score becomes a diagetic, visually-represented song that Peter Parker even comments on (he hates it).

I mean, there's dicking with sound, like Gravity (apropos of nothing, after about nine months' of thought I realize that the opening scene is as an effective piece of sound editing as it is a complete bullshit piece of sound editing), but nothing comes to mind where this kind of diagetic/non-diagetic hide-the-ball occurs to the same extent with the score, except perhaps in unapologetic musicals.

Well, either way, it's a really rad score.  It almost wasn't, though: it's a good thing that test audience was the right crowd for the Barrons' work, or else it would've been replaced or heavily supplemented by a more traditinal, instrumental score.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

The Larch

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: celedhring on June 30, 2014, 06:32:44 PM
What happened with Tilapia?

Pairs nicely with Albarino so clearly an error by larch.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Liep

The Leftovers pilot. Woah. I'm intrigued.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

dps

Quote from: Ideologue on July 01, 2014, 06:04:07 PM
So, I watched Forbidden Planet again the other night and I'm in the middle of writing it up, and I was considering Louis and Bebe Barron's "electronic tonalities."  (TFP's is the first electronic score in film history.)  What I find so interesting is not just how musically weird it is, but formally also: how it bleeds into actual, diagetic sound and becomes unified with it at many points in the movie, from the actual Krell music to the roar of the Id Monster and the sounds of the klystron relays.  Is there anywhere else where a score is used in this or an equally weird fashion?  To define it, I guess I'd call it "are there any other movies where sound effects become music, or vice-versa?  The only one I can think of is The Amazing Spider-Man 2, where Hans Zimmer et al's score becomes a diagetic, visually-represented song that Peter Parker even comments on (he hates it).

I saw an old British horror movie spoof where a team was investigating house that was alleged to be haunted.  At one point, a couple members of the team are moving down a corridor while ominous music plays.  At the end of the hallway, they open a door to find another member of the team sitting there in his underwear playing the ominous music on a cello.  It was a funny scene (and unfortunately, about the best scene in the movie).

That was just a one-off joke, though, and not how the score was used in the rest of the film.

Malthus

I'm deliberately late to the party, but right now I am quite enjoying True Detective on DVD. 

The ambiance of this series should provide quite a boost for tourism to Louisiana and East Texas!  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Eddie Teach

Three Colors: Red. I liked it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 03, 2014, 10:25:23 AM
Three Colors: Red. I liked it.

The lady in it was hot.  I could never figure out why she kept visiting the old guy.  Probably the whole point of the movie there or something :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."