Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

John Reacher: D

Last Stand: D

Second watch of STID: D-
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Ideologue on June 17, 2014, 07:23:27 AM
The Wrong Man (1956).  The worst Alfred Hitchcock movie I ever saw. 

Yeah, probably. Certainly the worst made after 1940. :yawn:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on June 17, 2014, 04:08:44 PM
Anyway, figured I'd get way more shit for not grading Stagecoach A+ ONE MILLION!!1 or something equally hyperbolic.

That's because I don't get home from work until late. 

Eddie Teach

So, Fargo. [spoiler]Loved the bit where Lester is running across the ice and it's cracking, then he stops, looks down and falls in. Straight outta Looney Tunes.

Though, I think my favorite moment has to be the elevator scene. "Is this what you want, Lester?" /proceed to shoot 3 people for kicks.[/spoiler]

Also, I recently rewatched the movie Fargo. I liked it, but I like the tv show better. None of the movie villains had Malvo's panache.

11B4V

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 18, 2014, 02:06:47 AM
So, Fargo. [spoiler]Loved the bit where Lester is running across the ice and it's cracking, then he stops, looks down and falls in. Straight outta Looney Tunes.

Though, I think my favorite moment has to be the elevator scene. "Is this what you want, Lester?" /proceed to shoot 3 people for kicks.[/spoiler]

Also, I recently rewatched the movie Fargo. I liked it, but I like the tv show better. None of the movie villains had Malvo's panache.

Billy Bob did a good job.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Norgy

He was evil incarnate.
Are Norwericans seen as a bit dimwitted? Apart from Solverson, most seem to have been riding the short bus.

Eddie Teach

Norgy

Yes, I see that. But if you look at Fargo the movie and the Marshall Eriksen character in HIMYM, it adds up to a fairly unflattering portrayal of these people. Then again, you have The Swede from Hell on Wheels, who's just a bastard.

Eddie Teach

Marshall is probably the most likable character on the show.  :huh:

Norgy

He also believes in Saskquatch.  ;)

Which was what I meant. I agree that he is. Innocent and kind. Except for slapsgiving.

Eddie Teach

Those stereotypes are for Midwestern farmers/rural folk in general(and tend to be nicer than the ones about rural Southerners). Take Woody Boyd from Cheers for instance. It's not about their ethnicity.

Norgy

Malthus

Quote from: Norgy on June 18, 2014, 05:34:24 AM
Yes, I see that. But if you look at Fargo the movie and the Marshall Eriksen character in HIMYM, it adds up to a fairly unflattering portrayal of these people. Then again, you have The Swede from Hell on Wheels, who's just a bastard.

There used to be a North American stereotype that Swedes were very, very dumb - around the turn of the previous century. It has since died out completely, though.

You see it referenced (and subverted) in the poetry of Robert Service.

http://www.oldpoetry.com/Robert_W_Service/Dumb_Swede

Still gets mentioned by academics:

http://www.augustana.edu/x16607.xml
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

CountDeMoney

I think That evolved more along gender lines, and the imagery that went along with the "Swedish Erotica Blonde Bimbo", so prevalent in the '70s and early '80s.

Swedish male = Swedish chef, bork bork bork

Norgy

But Swedes generally are dumb.  :huh: