News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: mongers on May 28, 2014, 05:03:46 PM
Giving Lovefilm a go, after a long time; so quick, I need some decent films of the last 5-6 years to populate the list.

Try to watch at least the first Elite Squad to get you in the mood for the Brazilian World Cup.

Ideologue

Quote from: crazy canuck on May 28, 2014, 05:07:59 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on May 28, 2014, 05:00:56 PM
she lacks heat. 

Kids these days  :rolleyes:

She's too reserved.  It also hurts her work in Gaslight, when she has to play crazy.  It feels the littlest bit forced, just like her love/lust in Notorious or in Spellbound.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on May 28, 2014, 05:08:22 PM
The thing about Bergman is that I can believe she's in love with anybody--she does that pretty well--but she lacks heat.  I don't believe like she ever wants to fuck anybody, even when it's text, like in Notorious, where she's a 1940s party girl and is supposed to be gagging for Cary Grant, the abusive potential husband that can fix her.

It works in 1940s movies well enough, since this was before most people had discovered sex.

I think that hurt her more than anything concerning her affair with Roberto Rossellini.  She was hardly the only woman in cinema to have an affair or get a divorce, but that was so far removed from her screen persona that there was a scandal.

See?  I'm not imagining it.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

I watched half of a Venture Brothers episode while on the can today.

The Dr. Impossible one at the ice research station.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ideologue

CC, continuing our conversation from TBR:

Obviously, Bergman is beautiful, even in Hollywood.  I really think you're missing my point.  I was criticizing her acting--on some emotions she is extremely strong (e.g., determination, surprise, anger, curiosity, sadness, nondescript longing, contempt, love, self-loathing) but at least in her 1940s pictures, on the most extreme emotions (lust, genuine hatred, insanity) my read is that she's forcing it.  With more takes and better directing perhaps this impression could've been avoided, but Bergman is only great sometimes in these films.

This seems especially the case with Hitchcock--but sometimes I think Hitchcock was not overly concerned with the authenticity of his actors' emotions, if it got the point across, and it took a genuinely great (over)actor like Jimmy Stewart to hit it on the head, like in Rope and, to a lesser degree, Vertigo.  (On the other hand, there's Psycho, which is pretty close to perfectly acted by its lead, though to the best of my knowledge Tony Perkins is not himself considered a great actor.)

Hey, MB, that's a pretty good one. :)
Kinemalogue

Sheilbh

It works in 1940s movies well enough, since this was before most people had discovered sex.
QuoteSexual intercourse began
In nineteen sixty-three
(which was rather late for me) -
Between the end of the "Chatterley" ban
And the Beatles' first LP.

Up to then there'd only been
A sort of bargaining,
A wrangle for the ring,
A shame that started at sixteen
And spread to everything.

Then all at once the quarrel sank:
Everyone felt the same,
And every life became
A brilliant breaking of the bank,
A quite unlosable game.

So life was never better than
In nineteen sixty-three
(Though just too late for me) -
Between the end of the "Chatterley" ban
And the Beatles' first LP.
?
Let's bomb Russia!

Ideologue

I strongly agree with the thesis of the song.  '63, man.  Truly the best of times.  90% marginal tax rates, houses and spouses were issued to you at age 18, and America could still bully the whole world.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

Bergman's not the problem with that movie, Bogie is.  In the flashback scene where he's supposed to be carefree and in love he looks like a total mook.

Ideologue

Also, what is that, an early draft of Meat Loaf's "Paradise By the Dashboard Light"?  Some people just need to work on their relationships.
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Saw The Amazing Spiderman 2. Is 150 minutes long and only has 3 action scenes in it  :bleeding:

The Brain

I. Bergman made some great movies.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on May 28, 2014, 06:25:29 PM
Saw The Amazing Spiderman 2. Is 150 minutes long and only has 3 action scenes in it  :bleeding:

It's a musical!

It has like five or six.  Counting each Rhino scene as half, and the raid on OsCorp as an action scene, anyway. -_-
Kinemalogue

mongers

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on May 28, 2014, 05:12:17 PM
Quote from: mongers on May 28, 2014, 05:03:46 PM
Giving Lovefilm a go, after a long time; so quick, I need some decent films of the last 5-6 years to populate the list.

Try to watch at least the first Elite Squad to get you in the mood for the Brazilian World Cup.

I'm guessing this is a joke, you're actually recommending some urban combat/crime film action movies?   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Scipio

Quote from: Ideologue on May 28, 2014, 04:53:59 PM
I think it's pretty great.

I still need to see The Big Sleep. :o :weep:
Well, that explains a fucking lot.

What other standards are you missing in your repertoire? Rio Bravo? The Virginian? Stagecoach? Seven Brides for Seven Brothers? Christ, you're a child.

On the plus side, I'm sure you don't enjoy films as much as I do, even though I've seen more than you. So there's that.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

CountDeMoney

This new mini-series  on the HitlerHistory Channel, "The World Wars", is exactly what you'd expect from that channel: overdone.

The PBS special on the logistics and engineering of D-Day was done much better.