And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ideologue

Good call.  It's daughter. :lol:
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

Nina is my 9 year old.  This morning I was half asleep,  we are watching Empire Strikes Back,  we'll watch Return tomorrow.

Oh,  and Ide,  we already know you don't know shit about movies.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Savonarola

The Indian Tomb (1921)

Maharajah Conrad Veidt wants to build a magnificent tomb for his wife.  So he sends Yogi Bernhard Goetzke to England to find a great architect to build her a tomb.  The architect, Herbert, finds the demands of the project baffling as he's unable to tell anyone, even his fiancee Irene.  He agrees, though, but upon arriving in India he discovers one little detail; the Maharajah's wife is not dead nor was she faithful to Maharajah Veidt.  Irene, upon figuring out that her fiancee went to India, tracks him down with remarkable ease but swiftly falls into the Maharaja's power.  A series of adventures follows leading, ultimately, to a tragic conclusion.

The film is very long at 3 1/2 hours, and has a lot of things which simply do not make sense.  The scenes are stunning, with mammoth Indian palaces and temples.  The set designers even went so far as to plant palm trees to create an Indian jungle in Germany.  The film works mostly based on Veidt's and Goetzke's performance.  Veidt, playing a man bent on revenge, gives him real pathos.  Goetzke's strange, otherworldly holy man also convincing.  Herbert and Irene might have worked better as a married couple.   They're both too old and too doughy to be cinematic love-birds; but as the every-westerner point of view in the mysterious east they do okay.

There is one scene where a group of lepers hobble along as they slowly chase Irene in order to (presumably) gang rape her.  A scene like that could only have come from German cinema.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Razgovory

HBO put a bunch of their stuff on Amazon Prime.  Been watching Band of Brothers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: lustindarkness on May 25, 2014, 04:35:46 PM
Nina is my 9 year old.  This morning I was half asleep,  we are watching Empire Strikes Back,  we'll watch Return tomorrow.

Oh,  and Ide,  we already know you don't know shit about movies.

Well, I knew I was courting controversy when I said the Prequel Trilogy wasn't very good.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

lustindarkness

The prequels are not great,  not at all.  But the originals are awesome.  Now watch your mouth.  Don't mess with my childhood.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ideologue

I love the OT.  Along with the Indiana Jones movies and the TOS Star Trek movies, they're exempt from any sort of ranking, otherwise my favorite movies would just be those. :blush:
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Grand Piano is so great. :)
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Razgovory on May 25, 2014, 04:50:14 PM
HBO put a bunch of their stuff on Amazon Prime.  Been watching Band of Brothers.

I just noticed TiVo's carrying Xfininty "We're Still Comcast But Changed Our Name To Maybe Fool Some People Who Hate Us So Much" On Demand.  That part of the deal went down pretty quick.

QuoteWe are also pleased that Comcast has committed to expanding our successful integration of Xfinity On Demand to their entire footprint. This integration on the Roamio and Premiere platforms has been an important one for us, as the robust Xfinity library, along-side traditional TV channels and web content delivers a one-stop shop for home entertainment. Market-by-market rollouts are occurring now, with full scale deployment in all U.S. markets — including Chicago, Atlanta and Houston – expected to be complete by June 30, 2014.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse's spoof history of BBC2 is worth watching. Hit and miss, but generally pretty good. I particularly loved the Killing meets Pingu and Yentob as Dobby the House Elf :lol:
Let's bomb Russia!

Norgy

Fargo... loving it. My kind of series.
Lots of uffda.

Eddie Teach

The Last of the Mohicans. A movie that overcomes major flaws to still turn out pretty great. Rarely have I spent so much time telling myself "I don't buy it" yet enjoyed the movie nonetheless.

Man on a Tightrope. I liked it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on May 26, 2014, 09:47:04 AM
The Last of the Mohicans. A movie that overcomes major flaws to still turn out pretty great. Rarely have I spent so much time telling myself "I don't buy it" yet enjoyed the movie nonetheless.

A classic.  Mandatory on any "Single Guy's Date Movie Collection Both Genders Can Enjoy" shelf.

celedhring

Watched Oblivion this weekend. Oh geez, what a dull movie. The premise is reasonably intriguing, but the film is really slow and yet the story isn't fleshed out at all.