News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2014, 07:22:20 PM
Started watching Hannibal. On episode 4.

Will Graham is the dream man :wub:

Hannibal's not far off :mellow: :ph34r:
Bryan Fuller makes Ryan Murphy or Alan Ball look straight. He's mad homo. Pushing Daisies is like half Musical Theater references.
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

Sheilbh

Five episodes in. I really hope this whole show ends with Will Graham retiring to neon Miami and pounding synths.

Edit: [spoiler]Also I liked how the angel maker talked about 'becoming'.[/spoiler]
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2014, 08:40:51 PM
Five episodes in. I really hope this whole show ends with Will Graham retiring to neon Miami and pounding synths.

Heh, wait until Hannibal meets an..."admirer".

Queequeg

Quote from: Sheilbh on March 08, 2014, 08:40:51 PM

Edit: [spoiler]Also I liked how the angel maker talked about 'becoming'.[/spoiler]
:lmfao:

Welcome to the bewilderingly intense world of Gay Fainnibaldom, Sheilbh. 
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

MadImmortalMan

The Baby Effect:

Recently, now that TV shows are available to watch in multi-year increments, I've noticed something. The writing staff eventually settle down, have kids and then the show gets crappy. I guess it's natural that the circumstances of your life will affect your creative input. But injecting kid things into otherwise good shows tends to be a bad idea.

Liz Lemon wants to adopt, Ron Swanson becomes an uber-babysitter for his single mom girlfriend, name any show where one of the main cast members has a baby, etc.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Writers run out of ideas, so they do things like make characters have babies. Doesn't necessarily mean the writers themselves are having babies, though I'm sure some of them are.

I don't think the increased crappiness of the show is directly related to introduction of the new babies; that is a symptom not a cause.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

celedhring

A screenwriter friend of mine can't stop pushing the parenthood angle in anything he writes since he had a girl.

garbon

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on March 09, 2014, 04:18:06 AM
Liz Lemon wants to adopt, Ron Swanson becomes an uber-babysitter for his single mom girlfriend, name any show where one of the main cast members has a baby, etc.

I don't recall either show becoming crappy when that happened. :hmm:

A show that did would be Bones but then it has been on seemingly forever.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

This season of Parks and Rec has been the worst since season 1.

Queequeg

True Detective Spoilers:
[spoiler]I'm really worried the show is going to end up with a "Southern Preachers commit satanic, misogynistic murders" ending, which was already an old concept with Night of the Hunter. Really hope the show goes either in the Metafictional or Supernatural route. Cohle always seems on the verge of a Sophie's World "I am inside a text" realization, which is awesome, but I really hope we get to see the Yellow King, with Marty or Cohle playing Prince Prospero in The Red Death and trying to unmask him. Cohle could be denied his wish of death to become one of the King's angels.[/spoiler]

Grey Fox

I hope that none of your wish happens.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Eddie Teach

Queequeg

Quote from: Grey Fox on March 09, 2014, 03:22:49 PM
I hope that none of your wish happens.
[spoiler]They've established an entire semiotic system and the show and the ending punchline is going to be that it's nothing but a bunch of child molesters in Carnival outfits.  It's going to be a big fuck-you to the obsessive audiance.  [/spoiler]

Grey Fox

Yes, and that's awesome.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Queequeg

[spoiler]Not really.  It means it takes all of Cohle's bullshit seriously.[/spoiler]