Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Queequeg on February 28, 2014, 09:47:29 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on February 28, 2014, 08:57:09 PM

My cable is out.
:lmfao:
His shoes.

I'm glad I'm not the first one to think that.

The first thing a girl notices is your shoes. The rest of your wardrobe can be shit if you've got the shoes down.

Naked in Aldens is chick crack.   :P
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 02, 2014, 03:01:15 PM
In last night's Shameless episode (I'm going to stop bothering with calling it Shameless: US because the UK version seems to have disappeared and the US version has eclipsed it) Flip has a chick bunkie.  She's pretty cute too.

Any of you recent/current college kids seen this?  I figured it was just a writer's affection.
There are colleges out there that have coed dorms rooms.

http://www.linfield.edu/linfield-review/2012/04/more-universities-offer-co-ed-dorm-rooms/
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sophie Scholl

True Detective:  Nice.  The pieces are definitely coming together.  This is an amazing summary of the pieces of the puzzle so far.  Spoiler-rific.  http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/03/02/how-true-detective-will-end-what-we-know-up-to-episode-7-after-you-ve-gone.html
"Everything that brought you here -- all the things that made you a prisoner of past sins -- they are gone. Forever and for good. So let the past go... and live."

"Somebody, after all, had to make a start. What we wrote and said is also believed by many others. They just don't dare express themselves as we did."

CountDeMoney

Yeah, I don't know how HBO is going to be able to beat this series with the next True Detective.  Definitely set a pretty high bar.

Ideologue

12 Years is 2013's best picture?  Baloney. <_<

Gatsby took home costume and production design though. :)  And Gravity won cinematography (duh) and editing (duh) and both sound categories (yep) and effects (super-duh).  Her won best original screenplay too, which is pretty cool.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

celedhring

I love how a lot of people (not here) criticize the award as "Hollywood rewarding another Oscar bait tearjerker" when 12 years is anything but.

To me it wasn't the best film of 2013, but given their track record is a worthier winner than the average.

Ideologue

I found it tearjerking. :hmm:

But sure, I ain't saying it wasn't great.  Heck, I'm getting it in the mail tomorrow.

It's just between that and Gravity, I don't see how any reasonable person could choose 12 Years.

I guess I shouldn't complain given how most of my picks in other categories did win, with the possible exception of the acting awards--I haven't seen Dallas Buyers Club yet, but I imagine I'll still be a little bummed that Barkhad Abdi didn't win Best Supporting Actor when I do.

I'm also very pleased that American Hustle lost everything.  If that had won Best Picture, the Academy would need to be purged like the Red Army before we could possibly move forward.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

I watched Mission: Impossible (1996).  Still a Brian De Palma super-classic.  I think when I find some time (mine has been stretched thin of late :) ) I'll do a series on the M:I movies, which is possibly--and ironically--the most consistently great movie franchise there's ever been.  But I'm not certain it's ever been better than this one.  A+

(Yes, the John Woo one is, to my memory, pretty fucking rad too.  It's possible something awful may leap out at me when I watch it again this week; I doubt it, because I still think Broken Arrow is the shit.  For now, the reason why people hate on that remains beyond me.  I trust this will remain so.)

I also watched the first episode of Hannibal: Season 2.  SO IS IT HAPPENING?  Yes it is.
Kinemalogue

celedhring

I'm certainly happy that Gravity didn't win myself  :lol:

That film has nothing going for it besides some - admittedly pretty great - dazzling visuals. I'd have preferred Wolf of Wall Street or Her to win, but that wasn't going to happen.

Ideologue

Quote from: celedhring on March 03, 2014, 08:49:25 AM

That film has nothing going for it besides some - admittedly pretty great - dazzling visuals.
Yeah.  It's a movie award.

:P

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.  (And I'm not, I predicted it a while back, though if I'd made a bet yesterday, it would've been for Gravity.  Glad I didn't float the offer. -_- )  I was just hoping that this year would be the year that the Academy recognized films that are just straight-up beautiful and spectacular, even if I'd argue Gravity is substantially more than even that.  Then my own aesthetic preferences would be vindicated and I could pretend Flash Gordon and Speed Racer also could have won Academy Awards, had they premiered in more enlightened times. :D

QuoteI'd have preferred Wolf of Wall Street or Her to win, but that wasn't going to happen.

Good flick, and not unworthy of recognition, but only my no. 15.
Kinemalogue

CountDeMoney

Your first 14 are mostly all Ernest Goes To... films.

Ideologue

14 Ernest films didn't come out last year.  Jim Varney is dead.  Have a little respect.
Kinemalogue

celedhring

Quote from: Ideologue on March 03, 2014, 09:01:30 AM
Quote from: celedhring on March 03, 2014, 08:49:25 AM

That film has nothing going for it besides some - admittedly pretty great - dazzling visuals.
Yeah.  It's a movie award.

:P

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.  (And I'm not, I predicted it a while back, though if I'd made a bet yesterday, it would've been for Gravity.  Glad I didn't float the offer. -_- )  I was just hoping that this year would be the year that the Academy recognized films that are just straight-up beautiful and spectacular, even if I'd argue Gravity is substantially more than even that.  Then my own aesthetic preferences would be vindicated and I could pretend Flash Gordon and Speed Racer also could have won Academy Awards, had they premiered in more enlightened times. :D

QuoteI'd have preferred Wolf of Wall Street or Her to win, but that wasn't going to happen.

Good flick, and not unworthy of recognition, but only my no. 15.

The pretty pictures are just 50% of the experience. Stuff like Wolf or Her have both the visuals wizardry and the story part nailed down.

Gravity is one of the best rollercoasters to come out in some time, but to me it was just a rollercoaster, and it even managed to get a bit tiresome towards the end with all those AND NOW SOMETHING ELSE FUCKS UP, HOW WILL SANDRA BULLOCK ESCAPE?