And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on January 05, 2014, 09:17:19 PM
It wasn't. It was a run-of-the-mill dumb action flick.

It was completely joyless.  I gave it a C based on its boundless mediocrity, but I should've given it a D+ or even lower, because even the movies that are actively worse are at least actively something.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Eddie Teach

It was actively dumb, plot-wise. But I was kind of expecting that.  :P

Also, Washington and Wahlberg aren't that bad even when phoning it in.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Razgovory

If I had to guess, it would have to do with the number of Marshals of the Soviet Union in 1938.   There were five Marshals of whom three were executed.  Budonny was one of the two who survived.  So 2 out of 5?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Stop trying to use logic and reasoning.

Viking

Quote from: Ed Anger on January 05, 2014, 11:20:04 PM

I didn't get an answer, is it mustache size?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Ed Anger

Razgovory

The color dog is a fine thing to carve in well ventilated weather.  3/5
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ed Anger

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2014, 11:28:31 PM

Good enough. I'm tired and want to go to bed.

MadImmortalMan

How old is Optimus Prime...

9 million years.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on January 05, 2014, 11:28:31 PM

That's BMOlsson's scale.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Ideologue

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013).

QuoteWhat I'm most reminded of is The Great Dictator, except that movie was made in 1940 and Chaplin thought the other guy with a funny mustache was more of a clown than we'd now be likely accept in a movie made about everybody's favorite reichschancellor.

The Wolf of Wall Street was made in 2013, long after we've realized that people like Jordan Belfort should be dragged from their burning homes in the middle of the night.  Scorsese takes this as a given, and his film's principal focus for the first two hours is what very fine clowns these wannabe masters of the universe can make.  It still serves as a call to action, but less perfectly than when Chaplin addressed his even more complacent audience directly.

2 Great 2 Gatsby
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)