News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Anger

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 07, 2013, 08:27:38 PM
Ain't that the truth.  My entire body clock is still fucked up.   Who the hell eats lunch at 11am?  Day cares and senior centers, that's the fuck who.

:blush:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Liep on November 07, 2013, 07:22:52 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 07, 2013, 06:55:11 PM
Maybe it's because I'm tired, but I can't make out what that word is supposed to say.  Lost?  Dolt? Lois? Dole?   Are we supposed to know this?

Not sure if serious. 2014? :unsure:
I also didn't get it.  :blush:
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2013, 03:10:38 PM
Shield. At a push and very quickly shee-eld
seems I got it right then.  Must be some local accent specifities that escapes me.  I'm still having problem with various regional english accents.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Malthus on November 06, 2013, 03:12:23 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 06, 2013, 03:10:21 PM
As much as I like Boardwalk Empire, I just can't stand the 20s.  It really looks like a boring time period and their form of entertainment reminds me of the Bugs Bunny show.

Getting drunk in speakeasies reminds you of Bugs Bunny?  :hmm:
the way they dance, the way the sing.  I could just imagine Bugs&Daffy Duck in that settings.

As I said, it's the 20s settings: the way they have fun at the clubs, the type of music they like, the weird dancing, what passes for sexy, etc, etc.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2013, 03:12:33 PM
As much as I like Boardwalk Empire, I just can't stand the 20s.  It really looks like a boring time period and their form of entertainment reminds me of the Bugs Bunny show.

I love the dancing girls.
black girls in leopard dress...  Sorry, not for me.

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2013, 02:38:25 PM
BBC4 documentary on the 'Joy of Disco'. Absolutely brilliant. I'm a convert :w00t:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQpMnU6N4o
Documentary about how a much-derided music actually changed the world. Between 1969 and 1979 disco soundtracked gay liberation, foregrounded female desire in the age of feminism and led to the birth of modern club culture as we know it today, before taking the world by storm. With contributions from Nile Rogers, Robin Gibb, Kathy Sledge and Ian Schrager.

Um it was much derided in the late 1970s for taking down Rock and Roll as the pop music of choice.  Has anybody actually derided it much since 1982 or so?  Will disco fans ever get over this?  Man they are a whiny group.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2013, 01:29:42 PM

White girls in top hats and crotch shorts.

viper37

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 08, 2013, 01:34:19 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2013, 01:29:42 PM

White girls in top hats and crotch shorts.
can't remember these ones.  Might have been last year.
I do remember that horrible coregraphy with the girl that died, about "King Tut" or something egyptian.  Looked silly, and totally did not do it for me.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on November 08, 2013, 01:27:49 PM

the way they dance, the way the sing.  I could just imagine Bugs&Daffy Duck in that settings.

As I said, it's the 20s settings: the way they have fun at the clubs, the type of music they like, the weird dancing, what passes for sexy, etc, etc.

Well yeah cartoons, then as now, have cultural references.  Especially as those were made as shorts before movies to entertain adults.

Anyway not much can be done for you Viper.  If you hate the setting you hate the setting.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2013, 01:39:10 PM

Well yeah cartoons, then as now, have cultural references.  Especially as those were made as shorts before movies to entertain adults.

Anyway not much can be done for you Viper.  If you hate the setting you hate the setting.

He's more of a Pepe le Pew type.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Hey, neat tidbit that Sav didn't tell me, perhaps because he didn't know, or because he wishes to keep his competitive advantage. :hmm: :P

William Cameron Menzies, the director and effective production designer on Things to Come, also did the production design (i.e., the good part) of Thief of Bagdad.  I find this fact delightful.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Malthus

Quote from: Razgovory on November 08, 2013, 01:44:14 PM
Quote from: Valmy on November 08, 2013, 01:39:10 PM

He's more of a Pepe le Pew type.

Ah, Pepe Le Pew.

From the era when the only thing more hilarious than national stereotypes was sexual harrassment.  :D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

katmai

Thor the Dark World.

Fun popcorn entertainment that gives 1st tease of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

B+
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Ideologue

Quote from: katmai on November 08, 2013, 06:12:56 PM
Thor the Dark World.

Fun popcorn entertainment that gives 1st tease of the Guardians of the Galaxy.

B+

WTF stop agreeing with me.  It's what I'm giving it too, except I plan on spending 1200 words complaining about its shitty production design in comparison to other movies of its type and particularly in comparison to Bo Welch's fantastic work on the original.

Unfun fact: production designer Charles Wood is doing Guardians of the Galaxy also.  Of course, I still hope that movie is a roaring success because it's the only thing that could possibly ever get Warner to make a Legion of Super-Heroes movie.

I did enjoy Del Toro.  Am ambivalent about the reconceptualization of the Infinity Gems.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ed Anger

Is there enough Natalie Portman to leer at?
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive