News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

BBC4 documentary on the 'Joy of Disco'. Absolutely brilliant. I'm a convert :w00t:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQpMnU6N4o
Documentary about how a much-derided music actually changed the world. Between 1969 and 1979 disco soundtracked gay liberation, foregrounded female desire in the age of feminism and led to the birth of modern club culture as we know it today, before taking the world by storm. With contributions from Nile Rogers, Robin Gibb, Kathy Sledge and Ian Schrager.
Let's bomb Russia!

Queequeg

Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

viper37

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2013, 12:23:17 PM
Quote from: viper37 on November 06, 2013, 11:30:15 AM
Btw, "shield", is that a British thing that it's sometimes pronounced like "tch-ield" ?
....No :blink:
Well, how is it supposed to be pronounced?   I always thought it was like other "sh" sounds, "shabby", "shack", "ship" etc, but I swear yesterday, the girl said something that sounded more like "chield" as in "chip".  And I noticed the same in Deep Space Nine from Avery Brooks.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

As much as I like Boardwalk Empire, I just can't stand the 20s.  It really looks like a boring time period and their form of entertainment reminds me of the Bugs Bunny show.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Sheilbh

Shield. At a push and very quickly shee-eld
Let's bomb Russia!

The Brain

Quote from: viper37 on November 06, 2013, 03:10:21 PM
As much as I like Boardwalk Empire, I just can't stand the 20s.

WTF

No Call of Cthulhu night for you!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Malthus

As much as I like Boardwalk Empire, I just can't stand the 20s.  It really looks like a boring time period and their form of entertainment reminds me of the Bugs Bunny show.

Getting drunk in speakeasies reminds you of Bugs Bunny?  :hmm:
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Admiral Yi

I love the dancing girls.

The Brain

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2013, 02:38:25 PM
BBC4 documentary on the 'Joy of Disco'. Absolutely brilliant. I'm a convert :w00t:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zQpMnU6N4o
Documentary about how a much-derided music actually changed the world. Between 1969 and 1979 disco soundtracked gay liberation, foregrounded female desire in the age of feminism and led to the birth of modern club culture as we know it today,

Have the guilty been brought to justice?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Admiral Yi

I watched a bit of documentary on Canuck TV about music that tried to make the point that disco was the natural outgrowth of big business intruding into the music industry and forcing artists to duplicate over and over and over again the aspects of songs that had broad appeal.

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2013, 03:17:05 PM
I watched a bit of documentary on Canuck TV about music that tried to make the point that disco was the natural outgrowth of big business intruding into the music industry and forcing artists to duplicate over and over and over again the aspects of songs that had broad appeal.

They say broad appeal; Sheilbh said appeals to broads.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Liep

Tilda Swinton is very good narrator, she makes this BBC documentary about Galapagos sound like the Lord of the Ring.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Sheilbh

I want a Bowie biopic starring Tilda Swinton.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

Not pretty enough or skinny enough.

Maybe Keira Knightly.

Liep

Quote from: Sheilbh on November 06, 2013, 04:56:21 PM

:yes:

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2013, 04:58:42 PM
Not pretty enough or skinny enough.

Maybe Keira Knightly.

:wacko:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk