News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazy canuck

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2013, 10:35:29 AM
Also...Where does Daryl keep getting his spare bolts?

In earlier episodes they Daryl makes the comment that they are rare - that is why he tries to recover as many as possible  ;)

Earlier episodes also showed him starting to make his own.  Showing those scenes over and over again would, I imagine, be a bit dull.

Savonarola

Thérèse: The Story of Saint Thérèse of Lisieux (2004)

I had planned to watch this for All Saint's Day, but got behind in my movie queue.  (My choice for Dia De Muertos, Santo y Blue Demon contra El Doctor Frankenstein had a "Short wait" and didn't even make it out of the queue.  :mad:)  This movie is based on the autobiography of Thérèse. 

There are a couple problems with this movie.  The first is that the lead actress has an emotional range of  :( to  :(.  The second is that Thérèse didn't do much, her autobiography is known for its insights, something that's hard to convey in a movie.  The story is mostly told through voice over, which is a terrible way to drive the plot (unless the narrator is the Amazing Criswell, of course.)  It's a very sincere movie, but it's not a very good movie.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Ideologue

Quote from: Savonarola on November 05, 2013, 12:49:17 PM
(My choice for Dia De Muertos, Santo y Blue Demon contra El Doctor Frankenstein had a "Short wait" and didn't even make it out of the queue.  :mad:)

:D

The fun thing about the movies that get put on a wait is that they'll often send you those on top of your limit when they become available.  I always put all my waitlisted movies to the top of the queue to exploit this to the fullest.

On the other hand, sometimes it bites you in the ass, and you actually get them. :P

It's weird sometimes what gets on a wait, too.  Singin' In the Rain is waitlisted because I wanted the blu-ray, I guess--as is Pinocchio--and I understand the DVD of The Fury, but the DVD of Snake Eyes and the BD of Passion?  Someone's having a Brian De Palma De Palooza, I guess, and it ain't me.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

And Hardcore's been on a "very long wait" for like eight months. <_<
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Ideologue on November 05, 2013, 01:13:14 PMSomeone's having a Brian De Palma De Palooza, I guess, and it ain't me.

Lol, empirical investigation would require independent verification of Carlito's Way and Scarface.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2013, 01:18:15 PM
Quote from: Ideologue on November 05, 2013, 01:13:14 PMSomeone's having a Brian De Palma De Palooza, I guess, and it ain't me.

Lol, empirical investigation would require independent verification of Carlito's Way and Scarface.

Well, the popular Brian De Palma movies are probably going to be available. :P

But I will tell you that Raising Cain is also on a wait.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 24, 2013, 08:02:11 PM
Quotemelt their enemies without a hint of regret or remorse,

So Dorothy's protestations to the contrary were a sham?

Missed this, saw it while collating some stuff.  Yes, they were.  She's all "OH I'M SO SORRY I KILLED YOUR LEADER IT WAS ACCIDENT GREEN MEN," but when the soldiers are like "It's totally cool, bitch was awful," she stops being sad about manslaughtering someone immediately.

Same deal with the Witch of the East.  She did not care.  She was using subterfuge until she could assess the political situation in both cases.
Kinemalogue

Ideologue

P.S.ellus: I was kidding about the B with The Apartment, if that wasn't obvious from the context of the post. :)
Kinemalogue

Malthus

Quote from: Ideologue on November 05, 2013, 03:30:56 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 24, 2013, 08:02:11 PM
Quotemelt their enemies without a hint of regret or remorse,

So Dorothy's protestations to the contrary were a sham?

Missed this, saw it while collating some stuff.  Yes, they were.  She's all "OH I'M SO SORRY I KILLED YOUR LEADER IT WAS ACCIDENT GREEN MEN," but when the soldiers are like "It's totally cool, bitch was awful," she stops being sad about manslaughtering someone immediately.

Same deal with the Witch of the East.  She did not care.  She was using subterfuge until she could assess the political situation in both cases.

Ever since After Hours, I just can't think of the phase "Surrender Dorothy!" in the same way.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Ideologue

:D

Now that there is a fine film.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: viper37 on November 05, 2013, 10:57:51 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 05, 2013, 10:41:08 AM
No American home is complete without a crossbow and bolt making tools.  A common housewarming gift.
I do wonder how long it's gonna take before they run out of bullets.

Dude, they're in America. We have plenty of ammo to kill the population several times over.  :showoff:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on November 05, 2013, 03:52:23 PM
Dude, they're in America. We have plenty of ammo to kill the population several times over.  :showoff:
I know that, but having bullets in Texas while in Georgia is not helpful to your current situation ;)
They are basically sedentary instead of nomads now, at some points, supplied are gonna run low.
Of course, since they keep dying en masse, they'll probably get to the point where they have food surplus for years by the end of the season :D
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Eddie Teach

People in Georgia love their guns almost as much as those in Texas.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

katmai

Look at the Salk-habbu brothers :yes:
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Tonitrus

Quote from: Tyr on November 05, 2013, 10:35:29 AM
Walking Dead- OK, that's one thing that annoys me about this show, and TV shows in general really. So that young couple, they've been happily surviving for what, over a year?, but then the moment they meet the main characters away they go. That just felt thoroughly dumb, complete immersion breaker.
Also...Where does Daryl keep getting his spare bolts? Crossbows aren't the most common of things even in the US right?

[spoiler]What bothered me about her death...was that it looked like when they found her severed leg, the amputation looked pretty clean...as if someone hacked it off with a sword/axe.  And her body was pretty distant for her to crawl (maybe her boyfriend dragged as far as he could before hoofing it).  And why no gunshots?  Makes me wonder if he pulled a Shane on a her.[/spoiler]