News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

TV/Movies Megathread

Started by Eddie Teach, March 06, 2011, 09:29:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2013, 01:24:16 AM
French Connection is somewhat overrated.  You take away a couple good scenes in which Gene Hackman roughs up negroes and there's not much to the flick.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2013, 01:24:16 AM
French Connection is somewhat overrated.  You take away a couple good scenes in which Gene Hackman roughs up negroes and there's not much to the flick.

There's also a brillliant car chase [spoiler]of an elevated train[/spoiler], did you miss it since you only bits of the movie in your tipical Yi way or what? What about the cinéma-vérité and authenticity feeling? And so on...

This car scene was only surpassed in another movie by the same director, To Live and Die in L.A.

Razgovory

Quote from: Ideologue on July 16, 2013, 08:01:58 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 16, 2013, 06:56:25 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 15, 2013, 09:25:51 PM
Yo Kleves, or anyone else watching VB.

Fake-out bullshit ala Successful Alternate Universe Rusty, or what?

Something about it felt serious, like exactly what Hammer and Publick would do when they wanted to do that.  I ain't saying [spoiler]he's dead.  But somehow I don't exactly think Rusty's crawling out of that next week with no issues.[/spoiler]

Saw the episode.  Next season is the last episode, which is a shame cause I don't think they even going to try pull together all the threads.  [spoiler]He's not dead, though most of the characters will think he is.  Dean and Hank will be sent to their next of kin which will likely be the Action Man and Colonel gentleman.  I suspect some big secret is going to be revealed through flashbacks.  I think think that the cyborg guy that Brock beat up in the bathroom is the Monarchs father.[/spoiler]

No wai.

Yes way.  Three things.  There was a photo that Rusty had of the Monarch as a child playing with rusty and his parents are in the back ground that totally freaked the Monarch out.  In the very first season the Monarch says he survived a plane crash as child that killed his parents in the pine barrens.  And thirdly Vendata (the Cyborg), was built by Venture industries some time before the mid 1970's and  couldn't remember his past until until Brock clobbered him.  When Brock sees him again he (Vendata) starts talking about how he thinks the plane is going down and asking where his wife is.

Rusty and the Monarch were friends as children but for some reason neither can remember this.  The Monarch can't remember the photo of him and Rusty playing and Rusty calls Vendata the "murder machine from my nightmares!".  I think the Monarchs family was close to the the Venture family and after a plane crash Jonas Venture saved his friend by turning him into a cyborg.  For some reason nobody can remember these events.  Jonas venture might have built the mind erasing machine that the OSI uses and used it on everyone for some reason, leaving the Monarch with some deep antipathy toward Rusty venture he can't actually explain.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 17, 2013, 01:21:50 AM
Quote from: Ideologue on July 17, 2013, 12:12:20 AM
Believe it or not, I've never seen The French Connection,

And you wonder why you get so much shit.

It's in my queue.

After about 20 Ethan Hawke movies, but it's there.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

Savonarola

Quote from: Duque de Bragança on July 17, 2013, 02:27:52 AM
There's also a brillliant car chase [spoiler]of an elevated train[/spoiler], did you miss it since you only bits of the movie in your tipical Yi way or what? What about the cinéma-vérité and authenticity feeling? And so on...

This car scene was only surpassed in another movie by the same director, To Live and Die in L.A.

I've read that they didn't get permits to film when they did the car chase scene, so the passers-by on film are in genuine terror for their lives.

"Bullitt" remains my favorite car chase scene, (though "The French Connection" is a much better movie) but I haven't seen "To Live and Die in LA"
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Savonarola on July 17, 2013, 12:56:54 PM
but I haven't seen "To Live and Die in LA"

Neat, neat movie.  One of the great under-appreciated flicks of the '80s.  Willem Dafoe makes for a nifty bad guy with a lot more complexity than he was given credit for in that role.

And yes, the car chase scene is pure boss.  [spoiler]Especially since it's the Secret Service agents that are being chased. [/spoiler] :lol:

I suggest you see it immediately.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I don't think either Uma or Mother Hawke could handle 20 Ethan Hawke movies, or would even want to.  Would your mother want to watch Assault on Precinct 13?

garbon

Why are you bringing my mother into this?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Point of emphasis, s'all.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 18, 2013, 07:09:19 AM
Point of emphasis, s'all.

Well you best leave her out of it or she will cut you.

CountDeMoney

Sounds like something somebody with a Boston accent would do.

garbon

garbon

Also, are you insinuating that she's "Canadian"?