News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Second Coming

Started by grumbler, April 08, 2009, 09:04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

I think this is an awesome lesson Grumbler, it's really creative and will make the students think. :)
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

Quote from: jimmy olsen on April 10, 2009, 09:27:55 AM:o So jealous!

Oh, and it's James McPherson.

Whoops. :blush:  Anyway, he was totally cool... not at all arrogant which is a bit surprising given his stature.  Since he is a professor at Princeton, which was like 20 minutes from where I grew up, him coming to our class wasn't as big a deal as it might sound.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Quote from: grumbler on April 10, 2009, 10:46:57 AM
Quote from: garbon on April 09, 2009, 10:52:31 PM
Interesting. All of my teachers always mixed it up with their own and then stuff from previous exams. Maybe because they wanted to convince themselves that they weren't just teaching to an exam. :(
The strongest argument against the AP system is that it is, indeed, teaching to a test.  I happen to agree.  While I think the writing portion of the AP European History test is quite good, it is only half the exam.  The multiple-choice half is rightfully referred to by many AP Euro teachers as "the trivial pursuit portion of the test."

What is more, the MC portion takes only 50 minutes of the 195-minute test, and yet counts for half of the score.
It's funny how these things are - for example when I was at school, pretty much all tests were based on essay/written response. Now they are moving towards multiple choice since it is the "better, American method". :P

grumbler

Quote from: Martinus on April 10, 2009, 11:53:25 AM
It's funny how these things are - for example when I was at school, pretty much all tests were based on essay/written response. Now they are moving towards multiple choice since it is the "better, American method". :P
The more things change, the more they change for the worse!  :P
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Lettow77

Covering WW1 in AP Euro right now. Its easy mode, and nothing needs to be studied compared to, say, the italian rennaisance, of which I remain deliberately ignorant.

What an evocative time in history- It pays, however, to remember that even while everyone laments the atrocious casualty rates, the Confederacy lost a greater portion of its men in arms than even WW1 France did.

Lost Generation indeed. The South produced some beautiful poems, by Ryan especially, but they recieve an unfortunately small amount of coverage.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 10, 2009, 12:47:13 PMitalian rennaisance, of which I remain deliberately ignorant.

Elaborate.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2009, 01:01:32 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 10, 2009, 12:47:13 PMItalian Renaissance, of which I remain deliberately ignorant.

Elaborate.
Yeah, I was also confused by his antipathy to the Italian Renaissance. I don't see any direct connection to the perfidious Yankees.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Lettow77

There are things that interest me in history, which I study, and things I do not. I like the roman era, I like the dark ages, and I like Europe from the protestant reformation onward. But in between is a boring period that constitutes my worst subject. It doesnt help that coverage of it is oversaturated with knowledge about artists, scultpors and the like, which never made for very interesting history in my estimation.

If they were trying to make it more presentable, I'd like to see more on the mercenary armies of the small states, and the wheeling and deeling between each of them. Still, something about the whole era feels too progressive and decadent for me. It reminds me of yankees in a way I cannot explain, but recoil from.

saskganesh

Quote from: Caliga on April 10, 2009, 01:01:32 PM
Quote from: Lettow77 on April 10, 2009, 12:47:13 PMitalian rennaisance, of which I remain deliberately ignorant.

Elaborate.

Greeks. Gibbon had the same bias.
humans were created in their own image

Martinus

It's lettow so I don't see why I even bother responding, but someone who claims he likes the Roman era, but dislikes Renaissance (which means literally the rebirth of the antic/Roman era after the dark ages) must be a retard beyond imagination.

PDH

Sadly, Lettow is right.  The Renaissance is mostly about Italian painters who are fags.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Valmy

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 10, 2009, 01:08:46 PM
There are things that interest me in history, which I study, and things I do not. I like the roman era, I like the dark ages, and I like Europe from the protestant reformation onward. But in between is a boring period that constitutes my worst subject. It doesnt help that coverage of it is oversaturated with knowledge about artists, scultpors and the like, which never made for very interesting history in my estimation.

If they were trying to make it more presentable, I'd like to see more on the mercenary armies of the small states, and the wheeling and deeling between each of them. Still, something about the whole era feels too progressive and decadent for me. It reminds me of yankees in a way I cannot explain, but recoil from.

You would like to see more from whom?  What are you babbling about?  Knowledge about the wars from 1200-1500 is easily and readily available.

Your laziness reminds me of all the worthless Southerners who dragged Texas into an unwinnable war to keep their slaves.  Do your own work you inbred assholes.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ed Anger

Dark Valmy with a goatee is cool.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

Martinus, I like the roman era, but hate romans. My sympathies and interest lies very much in gaul. Vercingetorix is my bishi.

Valmy: Your absolutely right. The problem being, the most interesting part of an uninteresting period still leaves me cold. The material I have read has focused on something I dont care about, and I dont care enough to poke for what I want. I read hours of history every week, but I spend at least five hours on 1861-1865 for every hour elsewhere, and a goodly portion of those are South-centric 1820-1860. Other periods of history are a less frequent subject, and usually they focus around an event of people that has arrested my attention. (WW1, the boers, the ainu, & etc would all qualify.)

Sheilbh

Quote from: Lettow77 on April 11, 2009, 07:25:38 PM
Martinus, I like the roman era, but hate romans. My sympathies and interest lies very much in gaul. Vercingetorix is my bishi.
Jesus.  What is your problem with civilisation?  Every time it shows even a hint of flourishing you seem to sympathise wholeheartedly with the romantic, barbaric fringe :bleeding:
Let's bomb Russia!