And we're back!

Main Menu

Movies you've recently watched

Started by FunkMonk, March 10, 2009, 08:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Brazen on March 23, 2009, 11:05:37 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2009, 07:03:10 PM
I will agree people were giggling at Dr. Manhattan's blue wang.
Giggling? I was speechless. I think I know the guy it was modelled on. Only, ya know, less blue.

You know, they arenèt supposed to be blue at all...

I think you might be doing something wrong Brazen.  :(
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

Quote from: Brazen on March 23, 2009, 11:05:37 AM
Quote from: Barrister on March 16, 2009, 07:03:10 PM
I will agree people were giggling at Dr. Manhattan's blue wang.
Giggling? I was speechless. I think I know the guy it was modelled on. Only, ya know, less blue.

I found it surprising that they left all the naughty bits (pun intended) in, down to the explicit Tijuana Bible. Not so common in Hollywood movies.

Makes me want a re-filming of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, esp. the scene where the Invisible Man is recruited. :perv:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Brazen

Quote from: Syt on March 23, 2009, 11:11:49 AM
I found it surprising that they left all the naughty bits (pun intended) in, down to the explicit Tijuana Bible. Not so common in Hollywood movies.

Makes me want a re-filming of League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, esp. the scene where the Invisible Man is recruited. :perv:
It was brave all round, not least from a reduced box office point of view, to make it an 18 certificate.

And yes, you're a pervert. Go watch The Entity.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quantum Of Solace. Surprisingly good in the exact same way the previous Craig/Bond was. It's got everything but the tongue in cheek. A bit more of the cool quippy humour and sex and It'd be top level Bond.

7.99999 really really smarmy businessmen/scumbags ( as villains instead of giant fluffy cat owning, prone to monologuing Capital E Evil scientists) who look a heck of a lot like Roman Polanski outta 10
:p

garbon

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on March 24, 2009, 02:27:25 AM
Quantum Of Solace. Surprisingly good in the exact same way the previous Craig/Bond was. It's got everything but the tongue in cheek. A bit more of the cool quippy humour and sex and It'd be top level Bond.

7.99999 really really smarmy businessmen/scumbags ( as villains instead of giant fluffy cat owning, prone to monologuing Capital E Evil scientists) who look a heck of a lot like Roman Polanski outta 10

I felt as though I had whiplash and was never given a real reason to care about Bolivia.

Oh I forgot, the negative about Duplicity is that three french guys came in and sat behind. Talk about needing a bath...and learning that movie theaters are not a place to chat.  (I think at first they even tried to put their feet up on my seat. <_<)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Started watching Bad Education this afternoon, and planning to finish watching it on my plane tomorrow.

I suppose it makes a nice good bye movie to conclude my Spanish vacation. :P

Sheilbh

The rather incredible Il Divo.  Or to give its full title, Il Divo (the superstar?): The Spectacular Life of Giulio Andreotti.  It's an excellent film that I really recommend.  It's basically about the fall of Andreotti's 7th government and the various allegations linking him to incredibly unsavoury groups through his career, though focussing on the 20 years in which he was, on and off, Prime Minister.

But, because we're not, generally, Italian and we don't get those political references instantly, read the promo leaflet with brief character snaps of some background on Andreotti and his faction, or the politics of the period.  I didn't.  So I only knew about Moro, but I want to watch it again now knowing sort of who the characters are so I could enjoy it more.

It takes more than a few hints from classic gangster movies (lots of it reminded me of Scarface) and it's all weighted around a truly stunning central performance by Toni Severino (I think), who has a great monologue in the middle.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Documentary on the Duke/NC rivalry.  High point was the clip of coach K saying "fuck you Dean."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

The Nickname Who Was Thursday

Seen a bunch lately.

Double Indemnity- a true classic. 10/10
Weird Science- a wet dream for nerds. 7.5
Memento- nifty conceit. 8.5
She's Gotta Have it- kept expecting Mars to say "it's gotta be the shoes". Also, the girl looked vaguely masculine. 6.5
Midnight Run- mostly fun, but too Hollywoody. Guy steals $15 million from the mob to give to charity? C'mon. 7
The Erstwhile Eddie Teach

derspiess

Quote from: The Nickname Who Was Thursday on March 26, 2009, 05:48:27 AM
Seen a bunch lately.

Double Indemnity- a true classic. 10/10

QFT.  The one thing that doesn't translate well into today's culture, though, is when he went bowling on an afternoon as a spur of the moment thing :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Since my kid stayed over at my parents house last night, the wife dragged me out to see "Knowing".  Wasn't a bad movie, per se, but the plot just got too ridiculous towards the end.

The two disaster scenes in the middle of the movie were primo, however.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

Finished watching Bad Education on the plane today. Awesome. Almodovar is an acquired taste and I don't think you can just sit and watch through his entire movie collection in a single day, without cutting yourself in the end, but in moderate quantities he is delicious.

The cutest guy was the most evil, though. :(