News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Olympic Excitement

Started by Jacob, February 05, 2010, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 17, 2010, 12:20:02 PM
Being last in group doesn't mean much this year, tho.

Yeah, the tournament mode is ... odd.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Syt

German tv will show the women's curling team at 11 pm tonight vs. USA. I will not stay up for that.

Anyways, this is the team (apparently Euro champs 2009):
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

I see the tradition of atleast 1 fuckable curlers is not a Canadian exclusive.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 17, 2010, 01:03:17 PM
I see the tradition of atleast 1 fuckable curlers is not a Canadian exclusive.

If you mean the one on the right, she's 17. :P

The one in the middle was born in New Brunswick, btw. ;)
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 17, 2010, 01:06:20 PM
17 is good.

Research reveals her name to be Stella Heiß, "heiß" being the German word for "hot".
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

sbr

BuddhaRhubarb

Too many negative Nancies reporting on the games thus far. When were the perfect games? ummm never. make the best with what you got. I personally think the Flame surrounded by maximum security prison fencing accurately represents how all the naysayers feel about the games. I too disapprove of the wastrel spending when there are bigger worries in BC (and ROC) than whether some furriners can stand next to a big bonfire, or that some people can't get to see some overpriced events. But that doesn't mean I'm not going to cheer on my country, and others that I like. If Canada misses out on a medal round, there is usually someone else worth watching.

Watch it on TV like the rest of us.

Tomorrow, I'm delving into the madness downtown, after my 11:30 with the endocrinologist... I will wander around the various downtown ish crowds, snap some photos etc. I'll give my report here.
:p

Syt

Quote from: BuddhaRhubarb on February 17, 2010, 01:20:10 PM
Too many negative Nancies reporting on the games thus far. When were the perfect games? ummm never.

German TV had a report about the delayed alpine skiing events. They pointed out that there'd been worse conditions and delays, e.g. in Nagano 98. However, people are quick to forget. Personally, I think Lillehammer 1994 were the best games I can recall, but I admit my memory may be hazy. :P
—Stephen Jay Gould

Grey Fox

Sydney was pretty perfect.

BuddhaRhubarb

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 17, 2010, 01:25:06 PM

aside from being in Australia, you mean? :p

Syt

Quote from: Grey Fox on February 17, 2010, 01:25:06 PM

For summer games, without a doubt. For winter games I'd go with Lillehammer, though I also enjoyed Calgary 1988.
—Stephen Jay Gould

BuddhaRhubarb

I was in a youthful FUCK TV phase during the Calgary games and saw very little of it. My recollection though is that there weren't many snags. Lillehammer either. I could have just missed them though.

Syt

Lillehammer stuck in my mind, because it was one of the few Olympics in past decades that weren't overhyped or overblown, and I recall that the atmosphere and audience was great.

Calgary ... well, I was 12, loved all sports, and stayed up half the night, because, well, school was easy, anyways.
—Stephen Jay Gould