And we're back!

Main Menu

Breaking News: 7.0 Earthquake in Haiti

Started by Admiral Yi, January 12, 2010, 06:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2010, 10:53:33 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 16, 2010, 10:02:21 PM
True.  I believe it is the racial assumptions going on here though. Any society is gonna be three meals away from revolution.  I think in any American city we'd see civil breakdown begin within a few days of a major disaster and the elimination of authority.
Like if there were an earthquake in San Francisco or a big fire in Chicago?
Civil authorities survived both, and there was the state and federal governments with a great deal of resources to draw upon. 
PDH!

alfred russel

Remember how sensationalized the stories coming out of New Orleans were.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Kleves

Haiti had a ruinous earthquake? How could they tell?
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 16, 2010, 11:03:08 PM
Civil authorities survived both, and there was the state and federal governments with a great deal of resources to draw upon.
Was civil authority eliminated in Haiti?  And Haiti has a great deal of resources to draw on from the international community.

katmai

Was there civil authority to be eliminated?
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

Razgovory

Quote from: alfred russel on January 16, 2010, 11:12:27 PM

Indeed people were saying that it was fake and just a way for the media to embarrass Bush.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2010, 09:27:44 PM
It's a legitimate point.  Rioting and shooting after a natural disaster don't make things any better and they hinder the people trying to help you.

But it's not a black or white issue, level Stockholm and leave the survivors for days without food or water and the same violent behavior will ensue.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2010, 11:35:43 PM
Was civil authority eliminated in Haiti?  And Haiti has a great deal of resources to draw on from the international community.
For most of the people that will be days away. 
PDH!

alfred russel

Quote from: Razgovory on January 16, 2010, 11:43:59 PM
Quote from: alfred russel on January 16, 2010, 11:12:27 PM

Indeed people were saying that it was fake and just a way for the media to embarrass Bush.
I was referring to the lord of the flies type stories of the katrina aftermath that were indeed b.s.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/sep/27/nation/na-rumors27
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 16, 2010, 11:35:43 PM
Is this a serious question? Anyone who knows anything about Haiti or has just watched the news over the last few days would know that it has been eliminated. The government had little authority to begin with. It was propped up by UN peacekeepers whose command staff was decapitated when their HQ collapsed. The national police have evaporated as the survivors struggle to help their families. The national army was disbanded by the peacekeepers.  Report after report has emphasized the absolute lack of any sign of civil authority or aid organized by the government. The only sign of the government in action that has been seen is the burial of the bodies in mass graves, but that only began in earnest yesterday.  Haiti is now a failed state to greater degree than Somalia. At least Somalia is divided by warlords who control their territory.

The aid is stuck at the airport or being distributed by foreign aid workers or the US military. How does that show the Haitian government has authority? 
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 16, 2010, 11:53:51 PM
How quick did aid get to San Francisco and Chicago?

Darth Wagtaros

PDH!

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on January 17, 2010, 12:25:46 AM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on January 16, 2010, 11:53:51 PM
How quick did aid get to San Francisco and Chicago?
How long are you going to play the Yi game of all questions and no statements?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2010, 11:52:07 PM
It's a legitimate point.  Rioting and shooting after a natural disaster don't make things any better and they hinder the people trying to help you.

But it's not a black or white issue, level Stockholm and leave the survivors for days without food or water and the same violent behavior will ensue.
I think we should try that and see what happens.

Alexandru H.

Quote from: jimmy olsen on January 16, 2010, 11:52:07 PM

You can't see the fucking difference between a civilized city and Haiti  :wacko: